Lankenau HS seeking Ag Internship Partner Sites

Phil Forsyth

Mar 29, 2023, 11:39:05 AM3/29/23
to Philadelphia Orchard Group
Dear Philly Orchardists,
Lankenau is a public magnet high school in NW Philly focused on environmental science, agriculture and natural resources management.  They are looking for student internship host sites to start in September 2023.  Interested groups can attend upcoming virtual open houses on 4/18 or 4/28.

If interested, see more info forwarded below!

Phil Forsyth, Co-Executive Director
Philadelphia Orchard Project
Pronouns: he/him

Dear Potential Community Partner,

Lankenau Environmental Science Magnet High School is a community where students can develop their individual potential to become environmentally conscious, productive, and successful in their chosen fields of study and careers through the lens of environmental science. We invite you to partner with us to provide worksite based internships for 12th graders in a unique real-world work experience as part of our Career & Technical Education program in Agriculture & Natural Resources Management. Aimed at preparing graduates to enter college and the workforce, we seek your collaboration to provide professional norms, real world work expectations, and greater insight into careers that students find interesting.

Our students will be available to work with you during the 2023-2024 school year beginning the second week of September 2023.  Our student expectations include working responsibly in an internship for 3-5 hours, twice a week. As our partner in this program, you can expect recognition for contributing to the development of the next generation of skilled and responsible employees in Philadelphia. In their roles as interns, our students are not expected to receive pay; you will only be responsible for providing meaningful work, appropriate on-the-job training and feedback, as well as a safe workplace

We hope you will consider joining Lankenau in this internship program. We are hoping you would support 2-3 students and would be willing to share both your hard and soft skills in the eco- world. If you have any questions that are not answered in this letter, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

If you are interested in participating, there will be two opportunities in person on both April 18th at 1pm and April 28th at 8:30am to introduce yourself and your internship opportunity to our students-RSVP HERE. The scope and operation of Lankenau’s Internship program include:

- meaningful professional experience in a potential eco-career

- application by resume and cover letter

- in-person or zoom interview with interested students

- 3-5 hours of weekly work between 11:30am and 5pm as determined by the Community Partner

- signed and submitted timesheets by their Internship Partner each Friday

- completion of an evaluation survey for each graded quarter

- students will be expected to have between 150 cumulative hours of Internship work

- Lankenau Internship is a required component of students’ agricultural AFNR class

- completion reflective journals weekly based on their internship experience

Your willingness to consider mentoring our students is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to working with you! Please reach out to jmna...@philasd.org or bgra...@philasd.org with any additional questions or ideas you may have.

Sincerely,

Jessica McAtamney

Principal