Welcome to phocoa-users

apinstein

Feb 12, 2007, 10:07:21 AM2/12/07
to phocoa users
HI all-

Just wanted to post a welcome message for people learning about
PHOCOA.

STATUS
PHOCOA has been in use by my company for nearly 3 years now. In that
time we've had a chance to really battle-test it in terms of bugs,
architecture, and performance. We're very happy with it as a platform,
and have high hopes about the future as we add in even more
infrastructure to support rich AJAX interfaces and make iterative
development even easier.

We are still very interested in continuing to improve PHOCOA. Other
frameworks are doing some interesting things that I've seen; ideas
which could/should make it over to PHOCOA at some point. Overall,
though, I still strongly believe in PHOCOA's architecture and think
that it's still quite unique in the PHP framework landscape.

Anyone interested in becoming involved in our project is welcome to
participate! What we really need right now is someone to help set up
some basic project infrastructure (bug tracker, wiki, etc) and also
1-2 people that would be interested in helping to review the
architecture and try to find any weaknesses. We've had great success
with it, but it's tough to be sure it's the best setup without having
others try it.

EXAMPLES
A lot of the places where we use PHOCOA are in back-end admin areas,
but there are a few things that we have done publicly which I'd like
to share if people want to see it in action.

First of all the phocoa.com site is all done in PHOCOA. There are only
a few web pages on the main site, but there are *lots* of examples
pages showing of the big features like data pagination, form state
management, data bindings, and even some AJAX stuff.

http://phocoa.com/webapp/examples/widgets/toc/

For a more substantial example, we have built a property search
application with PHOCOA. This example is pretty sophisticated on the
back end as it interfaces with a java-based search indexer and has a
lot of AJAX functionality.

http://lettyoliver.miamire.com/650/dsp_agent_page.php/38042

One more that we can show off is a virtual tour system for real
estate. Most of the interesting stuff is on the back-end, but it is
another real-world example.

http://virtualtour.showcasere.com/public/vtour/display/11

Hopefully that helps you visualize what real PHOCOA apps can do and
look like.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Alan