Exclude subspecies?

Milton Tan

Mar 2, 2015, 11:10:27 AM3/2/15
to phl...@googlegroups.com
Is there a good way to handle subspecies? I'm finding that I'm having basically a lot of duplication where there are subspecies, because I get the subspecies AND the species they belong to. I'm curious if there's a way to exclude all the subspecies? Or possibly the reverse, exclude all the species that have subspecies?

Matthew Nelsen

Mar 2, 2015, 11:20:12 AM3/2/15
to phl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Milton,

Can you just add a subspecies term (or set of terms) to your excludes file?  Kind of like how it is done here to get rid of varieties, forms and hybrids?

-Matt

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Milton Tan <mtyou...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a good way to handle subspecies? I'm finding that I'm having basically a lot of duplication where there are subspecies, because I get the subspecies AND the species they belong to. I'm curious if there's a way to exclude all the subspecies? Or possibly the reverse, exclude all the species that have subspecies?

Milton Tan

Mar 3, 2015, 12:27:22 PM3/3/15
to phl...@googlegroups.com
Subspecies don't have anything consistent about them that can be excluded from the search term, as far as I know, except that they have three names instead of two. Perhaps there's something with that to put in the exclude file but I'm not sure what exactly I'd put.

I got around this by using grep to exclude taxa that contain two underscores in the final alignment, but I imagine it'd be more efficient to exclude them before alignment.