Train themed restaurants?

Lee Winson

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

There used to be a popular restaurant in Chesnut Hill "The Depot" which
had a heavy railroad theme (not to mention being served by a streetcar and
2 railroad lines.) It's now closed.

Anyone know of nice places with a railroad theme in the Philadelphia region?

Rich K. (netaxs staff)

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

Lee Winson (lwi...@bbs.cpcn.com) wrote:
: There used to be a popular restaurant in Chesnut Hill "The Depot" which

: had a heavy railroad theme (not to mention being served by a streetcar and
: 2 railroad lines.) It's now closed.
:
: Anyone know of nice places with a railroad theme in the Philadelphia region?

I seem to recall a place in the Norristown/King of Prussia area, when I
lived there around 15 years ago. Don't remember the name of it, but it
not only had a railroad theme, it was built inside a couple of actual
freight cars.

Is it still there?

Friend

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

Lee Winson (lwi...@bbs.cpcn.com) wrote:
: There used to be a popular restaurant in Chesnut Hill "The Depot" which
: had a heavy railroad theme (not to mention being served by a streetcar and
: 2 railroad lines.) It's now closed.
:
: Anyone know of nice places with a railroad theme in the Philadelphia region?

There's a beef & ale place on the Roosevelt Boulevard where it crosses Red
Lion Rd. that has an understated model train them. The name of this place is
Ye Olde Ale House, or something like that. You can't miss it because its
right on the corner in an old tudor style building. Thee food there is pretty
good and the prices are very reasonable. There's an old model train running
around just below the ceiling of the main room.

Bill Waller

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

r...@netaxs.com (Rich K. (netaxs staff)) wrote:

>Lee Winson (lwi...@bbs.cpcn.com) wrote:
>: There used to be a popular restaurant in Chesnut Hill "The Depot" which
>: had a heavy railroad theme (not to mention being served by a streetcar and
>: 2 railroad lines.) It's now closed.
>:
>: Anyone know of nice places with a railroad theme in the Philadelphia region?
>

>I seem to recall a place in the Norristown/King of Prussia area, when I
>lived there around 15 years ago. Don't remember the name of it, but it
>not only had a railroad theme, it was built inside a couple of actual
>freight cars.
>
>Is it still there?

I beleive it was called Victoria Station. It was a franchise
operation. But, Alas, I too have moved away and do not know if it is
still there.

Arnold Daitch

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

There's a Subway sandwich shop in two converted train cars in the Fort
Washington office park -- if you turn off Pennsylvania Ave going to the
Ft Washington Expo Center you'll see it on the right - may 1/2 to 3/4
miles after turning from PA Ave.

--
Arnold Daitch
arnold...@worldnet.att.net

John M Hay

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

r...@netaxs.com (Rich K. (netaxs staff)) wrote:

>Lee Winson (lwi...@bbs.cpcn.com) wrote:
>: There used to be a popular restaurant in Chesnut Hill "The Depot" which
>: had a heavy railroad theme (not to mention being served by a streetcar
>:and
>: 2 railroad lines.) It's now closed.
>:
>: Anyone know of nice places with a railroad theme in the Philadelphia
>:region?

>I seem to recall a place in the Norristown/King of Prussia area, when I
>lived there around 15 years ago. Don't remember the name of it, but it
>not only had a railroad theme, it was built inside a couple of actual
>freight cars.

Victoria Station, a chain. This one was on the corner of DeKalb Pike and
Henderson Road.

>Is it still there?

Nope. The chain went bankrupt over 10 years ago, the restaurants closed,
and most of the boxcars were cut up.

John Hay
Commuter Rail Committee
Delaware Valley Association of Railroad Passengers

"I'm afraid I cannot comment on that until it's been officially hushed up."
--Terry Jones

John M Hay

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

Arnold Daitch <arnold...@postoffice.worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>There's a Subway sandwich shop in two converted train cars in the Fort
>Washington office park -- if you turn off Pennsylvania Ave going to the
>Ft Washington Expo Center you'll see it on the right - may 1/2 to 3/4
>miles after turning from PA Ave.

This was originally the Coach Inn. Not to knock Subway's great sandwiches,
but the real dining experience there (in the motel) is the Palace of Asia.

Jim Dornberger

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

> (Sorry, lost the original attribution)

> There used to be a popular restaurant in Chesnut Hill "The Depot" which
> had a heavy railroad theme (not to mention being served by a streetcar and
> 2 railroad lines.) It's now closed.

> Anyone know of nice places with a railroad theme in the Philadelphia region?

Several years ago I went to a restaurant in Montgomery County called the
Trolley Stop one of the dining rooms was an actual Birney Car with one
side cut open.

Jim Dornberger
Trolley Nut

Raymond A. Madison, Sr.

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97
to RobertS852

On 10 Jun 1997, RobertS852 wrote:

> On Broad Street near Callowhill (across the street from the Inquirer)
> there is an old dining car that has been converted into a lunch place.
> Have seen it from the outside; haven't eaten there.
>
> Bob Seabury
> Rober...@aol.com
>
> )
That's been there for years (more than 25 to my recollection), and I
didn't know it was still operating. I've eaten there a few times, and it's
not bad. I havn't been there for a number of years, although I've seen it
still there. I thought it was closed.

Raymond A. Madison, Sr.
(Black Saber)

Iris

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

> Anyone know of nice places with a railroad theme in the Philadelphia region?

Spaghetti Warehouse on 10th and Spring Garden has an old Streetcar you can
dine in, but doesn't have a "railroad theme". Just the streetcar.
Nonsmoking section. :-)

* Irises mest...@post.drexel.edu *
*"You can't win. But there are alternatives to fighting." *
* -- Alec Guiness, "Star Wars" *

BBReynolds

Jun 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/12/97

In article <339362...@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>, Arnold Daitch
<arnold...@postoffice.worldnet.att.net> writes:

>There's a Subway sandwich shop in two converted train cars in the Fort
>Washington office park -- if you turn off Pennsylvania Ave going to the
>Ft Washington Expo Center you'll see it on the right - may 1/2 to 3/4
>miles after turning from PA Ave.

One of the two cars is an ex-Pennsylvania business car, a likely sister to
120, etc., the other appears to be an ex-US Army hospital car. Before
Subway, and the current hotel owner, the place was called the Coach
Inn...best seats were in the observation lounge of the business car.
Bruce B. Reynolds, Systems Consultant:
Founder of Trailing Edge Technologies---
Sweeping Up Behind Data Processing Dinosaurs

Lee Winson

Jun 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/13/97

> One of the two cars is an ex-Pennsylvania business car, a likely sister to
> 120, etc., the other appears to be an ex-US Army hospital car. Before
> Subway, and the current hotel owner, the place was called the Coach
> Inn...best seats were in the observation lounge of the business car.

Wasn't the Coach Inn a pretty fancy restaurant? To go from that to a fast
food sandwich shop....

Mike Szilagyi

Jun 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/14/97

Jim Dornberger wrote:

> Several years ago I went to a restaurant in Montgomery County called the
> Trolley Stop one of the dining rooms was an actual Birney Car with one
> side cut open.

This Birney is supposed to be from the Reading Transit Company, which ran
the streetcar service in both Reading and Norristown PA. It had been
painted green and cream, but recently has been repainted in Reading red
and white. I have a recent photo on my web site at
http://www.netreach.net/~szilagyi/schukill.htm.

There was an interurban that ran along Skippack Pike directly in front of
the Trolley Stop restaurant: the Montgomery County Rapid Transit Company,
known by locals as the Wogglebug. It operated from Norristown to
Harleysville between 1902 and 1925, but did not operate Birney cars.
--

Mike Szilagyi
CyberMill Studio 3D Modeling and Animation

John M Hay

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

lwi...@bbs.cpcn.com (Lee Winson) wrote in response to ?

Quite fancy.
Only the RR cars became Subway. Most of the Coach Inn was inside the motel
building, and this part became the Palace of Asia. IMO, the experience of
Indian cuisine in the elegantly redone main restaurant (which still
contains some RR art) more than compensates for not eating in the
so-called coaches. If you've taped one of those PBS documentaries on
Indian trains, watch it at home before dining. With those plus some Ravi
Shankar as background music inside, you're in for quite an experience.

John Hay
Commuter Rail Committee
Delaware Valley Association of Railroad Passengers

"Well, I've been in the city for twenty years, and I must admit--I'm lost."
--Graham Chapman

waro...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2018, 12:01:23 PM9/3/18
On Friday, June 13, 1997 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Lee Winson wrote:
> > One of the two cars is an ex-Pennsylvania business car, a likely sister to
> > 120, etc., the other appears to be an ex-US Army hospital car. Before
> > Subway, and the current hotel owner, the place was called the Coach
> > Inn...best seats were in the observation lounge of the business car.
>
> Wasn't the Coach Inn a pretty fancy restaurant? To go from that to a fast
> food sandwich shop....

I worked as a waiter at the Coach Inn. There were (3) RR cars. Saturday evening was very difficult to get a reservation. Sorry to see the cars turn into a Subway.
John Myer built the restaurant and after I left around the 1970 he built the hotel.