Where's Bill Stead??

Matthew Mitchell

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

The University of Pennsylvania alumni magazine for November 1996 has a
feature on Bill Stead (engineering `69, grad engineering `70, grad arts and
sciences '81), former GM of Muni, and for a very brief time, SEPTA.

He was CEO of a consortium building the subway in Athens, Greece from 1992
to 1995. His expertise in archaeology (never knew about that) was one of
his qualifications for the job--the subway project became the largest
archaeological in the history of the country.

After the SEPTA debacle and his return to Muni (Dec 1988, IIRS), he had a
consulting job with Booz Allen & Hamilton, then set up an archaeology
practice, doing surveys for construction sites.

Stead is now working for Parsons Brinckerhoff, studying a project in
Istanbul, which PB may bid on.

The article discusses some of the artifacts found in Athens, and how the
dig progressed. Sandy, is the text available online???

/_\ Matthew Mitchell, Newsletter Editor
/[ ]\ Delaware Valley Association of Railroad Passengers
/ | \ PO Box 7505, Philadelphia PA 19101-7505
/ _|_ \ voice: 215-673-6445-message box 3, fax 215-885-7448
--------- http://www.libertynet.org/~dvarp

Exile on Market Street

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

In article <AED574F3...@phd-as8s03.erols.com>,
mmit...@libertynet.org (Matthew Mitchell) wrote:

[synopsis of "Traveling Man" by John Prendergast, _The Pennsylvania
Gazette_, November 1996]

> The article discusses some of the artifacts found in Athens, and how the
> dig progressed. Sandy, is the text available online???

The _Gazette_ is not yet on line. Maybe I can drop that in John
Prendergast's ear; I've been meaning to call him about something else for
a little while.

I was so fascinated by the cover story, which told me all sorts of stuff I
didn't know about the plan to move Penn to Valley Forge, that I never made
it past that point. Will now read the article.

I do not know whether any copies of the _Gazette_ are printed for sale
(believe it or not, non-Harvard alums *can* subscribe to _Harvard
Magazine_). If anyone is interested, drop me a line and I'll call the
General Alumni Society office to find out.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Market Street, Philadelphia smi...@pobox.upenn.edu
Univ of Pennsylvania, News & Public Affairs 215.898.1423/fax 215.898.1203
I speak for myself here, not for Penn http://pobox.upenn.edu/~smiths/

At long last, we can receive (and welcome) your feedback on our Web site:
-----------------------------http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/response.html--

Exile on Market Street

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

In article <58rlaj$v...@netnews.upenn.edu>, mc...@pobox.upenn.edu (Nancy
McCue) wrote:

> Sandy Smith wrote re: Penn alumni magazine "Gazette" article about Wm. Stead
>
> Did I skim that article too quickly or did it not really mention Stead's
> brief stint with SEPTA?
>
> I've been curious--

It didn't, and why should it have?

Tossing his one week at the helm of SEPTA into the story would have been
completely pointless.

Karen Byrd

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

In article <smiths-1312...@smiths.admin.upenn.edu>,

smi...@pobox.upenn.edu (Exile on Market Street) wrote:

> In article <58rlaj$v...@netnews.upenn.edu>, mc...@pobox.upenn.edu (Nancy
> McCue) wrote:
>
> > Sandy Smith wrote re: Penn alumni magazine "Gazette" article about Wm. Stead
> >
> > Did I skim that article too quickly or did it not really mention Stead's
> > brief stint with SEPTA?
> >
> > I've been curious--
>
> It didn't, and why should it have?
>
> Tossing his one week at the helm of SEPTA into the story would have been
> completely pointless.

Not only that he probably would like to completely forget the whole ugly
incident.

--
Karen Byrd
School of Medicine

Matthew Mitchell

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96

In article <58rlaj$v...@netnews.upenn.edu>,
mc...@pobox.upenn.edu (Nancy McCue) wrote:

>Sandy Smith wrote re: Penn alumni magazine "Gazette" article about Wm. Stead
>
>Did I skim that article too quickly or did it not really mention Stead's
>brief stint with SEPTA?

Nope. Didn't mention SEPTA.

HAncock4

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96

I think Bill Stead (IIRC) may have worked in Sao Paulo Brazil on their
subway in 1974 as an employee of Louis T. Klauder & Associates. Anyone
know for sure?

Nancy McCue

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

Karen Byrd (by...@mscf.med.upenn.edu) wrote:
: In article <smiths-1312...@smiths.admin.upenn.edu>,

: smi...@pobox.upenn.edu (Exile on Market Street) wrote:

: > In article <58rlaj$v...@netnews.upenn.edu>, mc...@pobox.upenn.edu (Nancy

: > McCue) wrote:
: >
: > > Sandy Smith wrote re: Penn alumni magazine "Gazette" article about Wm. Stead
: > >
: > > Did I skim that article too quickly or did it not really mention Stead's
: > > brief stint with SEPTA?

: > >
: > > I've been curious--

: >
: > It didn't, and why should it have?
: >
: > Tossing his one week at the helm of SEPTA into the story would have been
: > completely pointless.

: Not only that he probably would like to completely forget the whole ugly
: incident.

Not that I didn't realize it myself, but it was the only thing I
knew him for when I opened the issue!

Nancy
mc...@pobox.upenn.edu

Harvey Nehgila

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

>> Tossing his one week at the helm of SEPTA into
>> the story wouldhave been completely pointless.

> Not only that he probably would like to completely
> forget the whole ugly incident.

Maybe, maybe not. It certainly has to rank as the most he ever earned for a
week's, er, work.

Colin R. Leech

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

Karen Byrd (by...@mscf.med.upenn.edu) writes:
> In article <smiths-1312...@smiths.admin.upenn.edu>,
> smi...@pobox.upenn.edu (Exile on Market Street) wrote:
>

>> Tossing his one week at the helm of SEPTA into the story would have been

>> completely pointless.
>
> Not only that he probably would like to completely forget the whole ugly
> incident.

Please don't keep the rest of us in suspense. What happened?

--
##### |\^/| Colin R. Leech ag414 or crl...@freenet.carleton.ca
##### _|\| |/|_ Civil engineer by training, transport planner by choice.

Karen Byrd

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

In article <59apde$3...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>,

ag...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Colin R. Leech) wrote:

> Karen Byrd (by...@mscf.med.upenn.edu) writes:
> > In article <smiths-1312...@smiths.admin.upenn.edu>,
> > smi...@pobox.upenn.edu (Exile on Market Street) wrote:
> >
> >> Tossing his one week at the helm of SEPTA into the story would have been
> >> completely pointless.
> >
> > Not only that he probably would like to completely forget the whole ugly
> > incident.
>
> Please don't keep the rest of us in suspense. What happened?

He lasted about a week as GM. His style wasn't quite right
for the Septa board. Others can really give you the big details.
Stead's sudden departure is the reason Lou G. became GM of Septa.