CSHPM Online Colloquium: Zoe Ashton (Oct 22th)

Nicolas Fillion

Oct 17, 2021, 4:16:24 PM10/17/21
to philosop...@googlegroups.com
***CSHPM Online Colloquium: Zoe Ashton (Oct 22th)***

The Canadian Society for History and Philosophy of Mathematics (http://www.cshpm.org/) invites members as well as the broader scholarly community to the next talk in our online colloquium series via Zoom. Participants are encouraged to become members (for as little as $10-$30/year, depending on your employment status), but it is not required. Non-members can get regular updates on our activities by liking us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/cshpmschpm). The talk will last 30 minutes, followed by a Q&A.

ZOE ASHTON, Philosophy, Ohio State University, will deliver the 17th talk of the CSHPM Online Colloquium series.
DATE: October 22th
TIME: Vancouver 11:00; Montreal/Toronto 14:00

TITLE: Each Another's Audience: A Rhetorical Account of Rigor
ABSTRACT: The goal of this talk is to introduce, and argue for, a new audience-based account of mathematical rigor. Under the Standard View, a proof is rigorous iff that proof can be routinely translated into a proof in a formal language. Under the Audience View, a proof is rigorous whenever every step involved is one that a universal audience would assent to. To argue for the Audience View, the talk is separated into four parts. First, I'll introduce some constraints on any account of rigor. Then, I'll briefly review the Standard View and some objections to it. In the third part, I'll introduce the Audience View and focus primarily on expanding on the rhetorical concept of a universal audience. Finally, I'll highlight some of the benefits of the Audience View over the Standard View. One important improvement is that the Audience View can explain one of the main intuitions behind the Standard View.

Please distribute this information to all who might be interested. The information to join the session via Zoom is as follows:

Topic: CSHPM Talk: Zoe Ashton
Time: Oct 22, 2021 11:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://sfu.zoom.us/j/66698562451?pwd=RktPWWtXbWx5cUc3SFFRbUJxaDVWZz09

Meeting ID: 666 9856 2451
Password: 397494