CSHPM Online Colloquium: Gillman Payette (Feb 25th)

1 view

Nicolas Fillion

Feb 22, 2022, 12:45:18 AM2/22/22
to philosop...@googlegroups.com
The Canadian Society for History and Philosophy of Mathematics (http://www.cshpm.org/) invites members as well as the broader scholarly community to the next talk in our online colloquium series via Zoom. Participants are encouraged to become members (for as little as $10-$30/year, depending on your employment status), but it is not required. Non-members can get regular updates on our activities by liking us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/cshpmschpm). The talk will last 30 minutes, followed by a Q&A.

Gillman Payette, Philosophy, University of Calgary, will deliver the 19th talk of the CSHPM Online Colloquium series.
DATE: February 25th
TIME: Vancouver 11:00; Montreal/Toronto 14:00

TITLE: A view of logic from applied mathematics
ABSTRACT: Contemporary logic as a discipline is multi-faceted---like all disciplines. One facet, perhaps its central one, is a branch of applied mathematics. When contemporary logicians study argument validity, they are applying mathematics. This is sometimes obscured by the fact that we often classify logic as a subdiscipline of pure mathematics.

In this talk I will reconsider logical studies of validity starting from the assumption that they are akin to more readily identifiable areas of applied mathematics. After investigating that relationship, I will suggest that thinking of logics as theories isn't the best fit for logics in that model of mathematical investigation. They are better thought of as instruments, or so I will argue.

Please distribute this information to all who might be interested. The information to join the session via Zoom is as follows:

Nicolas Fillion is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: CSHPM Online Colloquium 19: Gillman Payette
Time: Feb 25, 2022 11:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://sfu.zoom.us/j/62243427665?pwd=OWE3NUozUkNDY0lKdDNBcFNqaUxlZz09

Meeting ID: 622 4342 7665
Password: 420822