CSHPM Online Colloquium: Jeffrey A. Oaks (April 1st)

Nicolas Fillion

Mar 26, 2022, 5:33:42 PM3/26/22
to philosop...@googlegroups.com
***CSHPM Online Colloquium: Jeffrey A. Oaks (April 1st)***

The Canadian Society for History and Philosophy of Mathematics (http://www.cshpm.org/) invites members as well as the broader scholarly community to the next talk in our online colloquium series via Zoom. Participants are encouraged to become members (for as little as $10-$30/year, depending on your employment status), but it is not required. Non-members can get regular updates on our activities by liking us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/cshpmschpm). The talk will last 30 minutes, followed by a Q&A.

Jeffrey A. Oaks, Mathematics, University of Indianapolis, will deliver the 20th talk of the CSHPM Online Colloquium series.
DATE: April 1st
TIME: Vancouver 11:00; Montreal/Toronto 14:00

TITLE: How to think like a medieval algebraist
ABSTRACT: There are many seemingly minor yet consistent differences in wording, procedure, and notation between what we read in pre-Vietan algebra and what we practice today. Together with how the earlier authors describe their work, they point to a radically different way of understanding monomials, polynomials, and equations. In this talk I describe this premodern algebra, focusing mainly on medieval Arabic algebra, though what I say applies equally to Diophantus, medieval Latin and Italian algebra, as well as the algebra of sixteenth-century Europe. Some attention will be given to delineating the role of algebra in premodern mathematics and to the concept of number upon which the concept of monomial was based.

Please distribute this information to all who might be interested. The information to join the session via Zoom is as follows:

Topic: CSHPM Online Colloquium: Jeffrey Oaks
Time: Apr 1, 2022 11:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://sfu.zoom.us/j/64614963821?pwd=ZkoyM25QU0VuTW5Fb1o2UG9VUzU5Zz09

Meeting ID: 646 1496 3821
Password: 038550