CSHPM Online Colloquium: Emmylou Haffner

Nicolas Fillion

May 3, 2021, 2:45:26 PM5/3/21
to philosop...@googlegroups.com
***CSHPM Online Colloquium: Emmylou Haffner***

*Notice the earlier time than usual*

The Canadian Society for History and Philosophy of Mathematics (http://www.cshpm.org/) invites members as well as the broader scholarly community to the next talk in our online colloquium series via Zoom. Participants are encouraged to become members (for as little as $10-$30/year, depending on your employment status), but it is not required. Non-members can get regular updates on our activities by liking us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/cshpmschpm). The talk will last 30 minutes, followed by a Q&A.

EMMYLOU HAFFNER, Postdoc, Laboratoire de mathématiques d'Orsay & Fondation Jacques Hadamard, will deliver the thirteenth talk of the CSHPM Online Colloquium series.

DATE: May 7th
TIME: UTC 18:30; Vancouver 10:30; Edmonton 11:30; Regina/Winnipeg 12:30; Montreal/Toronto 13:30; Halifax 14:30; St. John's 15:00

TITLE: What we can learn from Dedekind's drafts and how to navigate such a corpus
ABSTRACT: The research that led to Dedekind's 1897 “Über Zerlegungen von Zahlen durch ihre größten gemeinsamen Teiler” and 1900 “Über die von drei Moduln erzeugte Dualgruppe” spanned over 20 years and started as an inquiry on module theory, as he told us himself. Those 20 years of research are documented in Dedekind's archive, kept at the Niedersächsische Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Göttingen. Going through these incredibly rich documents allows me to follow Dedekind's research process, and to understand how he went from module theory to Dualgruppen. It also showed that said process was very complex and non-linear. Navigating these several hundreds of pages, whose organization appears to be sometimes puzzling, could be challenging. To accompany my historical analysis, I set up a digital edition developed using editorial principles guided by the historical analysis: http://eman-archives.org/Dedekind/. In turn, the edition allowed me to get a better view of the corpus as a whole, and to draw networks of texts that shed lights on the genesis of Dualgruppen. In this talk, I will present how the historical and editorial work helped each other, and allowed for a better understanding of the genesis of Dedekind's Dualgruppen.

Please distribute this information to all who might be interested. The information to join the session via Zoom is as follows:

Topic: CSHPM Online Colloquium: Emmylou Haffner
Time: May 7, 2021 10:30 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://sfu.zoom.us/j/61346514555?pwd=VzZqVDIvQ2J5bEtTZ3VIQTdLSmVtdz09

Meeting ID: 613 4651 4555
Password: 262463
One tap mobile
+16473752970,,61346514555#,,,,0#,,262463# Canada
+16473752971,,61346514555#,,,,0#,,262463# Canada

Dial by your location
        +1 647 375 2970 Canada
        +1 647 375 2971 Canada
        +1 778 907 2071 Canada