CSHPM Online Colloquium: Jean-Pierre Marquis

1 view

Nicolas Fillion

Aug 29, 2020, 3:08:30 PM8/29/20
to philosop...@googlegroups.com
***CSHPM Online Colloquium: Jean-Pierre Marquis ***

In those isolated times, the Canadian Society for History and Philosophy of Mathematics
(http://www.cshpm.org/) is organizing a bi-weekly online colloquium series via Zoom.
Sessions are open to CSHPM members as well as the broader scholarly community. Participants
are encouraged to become members (for as little as $10-$30/year, depending on your
employment status), but it is not required. Non-members can get regular updates on our
activities by liking us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/cshpmschpm). The talk will
last 30 minutes, followed by a Q&A.

JEAN-PIERRE MARQUIS, Professor of Philosophy at the Université de Montréal, will deliver the
fourth talk of the CSHPM Online Colloquium series.

DATE: September 4th
TIME: UTC 18:00; Vancouver 11:00; Edmonton/Regina 12:00; Winnipeg 13:00; Montreal/Toronto 14:00; Halifax 15:00; St. John's 15:30

TITLE: On Mathematical Style
ABSTRACT: In this short talk, I will propose a notion of mathematical style, based on
a specific case, namely Bourbaki's mathematics. The main goal is to capture the
"structuralist style" of mathematics, but also to provide a general and supple framework
to capture other types of style. In the spirit of Paolo Mancosu's challenge presented
in his article in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy on the same topic, I want to
show that a style in the sense that I propose has an inherent epistemic component and
is not merely an aesthetic addition to a discourse.

Please distribute this information to all who might be interested. The information to join
the session via Zoom is as follows:

Topic: CSHPM Online Colloquium: Jean-Pierre Marquis
Time: Sep 4, 2020 11:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://sfu.zoom.us/j/96115474077?pwd=MGt1Nm9JVWRXTDd6K0I2MlVBNk1NQT09

Meeting ID: 961 1547 4077
Password: 742214
One tap mobile
+16473744685,,96115474077#,,,,0#,,742214# Canada
+16475580588,,96115474077#,,,,0#,,742214# Canada

Dial by your location
        +1 647 374 4685 Canada
        +1 647 558 0588 Canada
        +1 778 907 2071 Canada