"Software Takes Command" reading group anyone?

Dylan

Sep 2, 2013, 11:23:42 AM9/2/13
to philosophy-in-a-...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I've lurked for a while and thought it was time to post something.

I wanted to propose a reading group for Lev Manovich's recently released book "Software Takes Command" (Web reader open access version). This book is media theory rather than philosophy, so perhaps this list is the wrong place. The emerging discipline of Software Studies, which this is part of, is a humanistic approach to studying software programs. I thought it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of programmers on the subject.

Let me know if anyone is interested, we can work out the details then.

Joseph Caudle

Sep 2, 2013, 10:37:53 PM9/2/13
to philosophy-in-a-...@googlegroups.com
Dylan,

I've started reading the book and would be interested in discussing it with others. Were you thinking of a separate list or just a thread on this list?

Best,
Joseph

Greg Borenstein

Sep 2, 2013, 10:39:41 PM9/2/13
to philosophy-in-a-...@googlegroups.com
For my part, I'd welcome a thread on this list. I'd like to read it eventually but it's going to be a while before I get to it. And I'd be curious to eavesdrop your guys' conversation about it in the meantime.

-- Greg

Steve Klabnik

Sep 4, 2013, 3:12:21 PM9/4/13
to philosophy-in-a-...@googlegroups.com
I'm the same as Greg. I've _never_ seen an online reading group
actually succeed... but I'd like to!

Dylan

Sep 5, 2013, 8:16:36 AM9/5/13
to philosophy-in-a-...@googlegroups.com
Well, with that vote of confidence we're off to the races :)
I'll start another thread.