No time to think and the web that wasn't

Andreas Scheinert

Apr 29, 2014, 4:05:24 PM4/29/14
to philosophy-in-a-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

recently I came across two talks that I found quite interesting and so wanted to share with you here.

No Time to think - David M. Levy
It is pleasant to listen to the voice and style of Mr. Levy, personally he finds the right speed and rhythm of talking, not to fast yet not slowing unnecessary down. In his talks he covers vannevar bushs "as we may think", but not for its technical details, but its ideas related to human thinking.
To strengthen his argument he cites josef pieper and his book: Leisure, the basis of culture (which is still in print today!). I found these arguments worthwhile to be pondered.

The web that wasn't - Alex Wright
While Mr. Wright seems to be a frequent speaker his style seems a little non relaxed to me. The talk gives a historical overview of hypertext systems and contrasts each precursor with what is (was back then in 2008) the web. "As we may think" is also covered but the focus remains on the more technical details. Particularly interesting to me was the work of Paul Otlet. I never knew such efforts (Mundaneum) where undertaken in belgium at that time, but became victim of the war.

Originally I searched for some material related to "as we may think", and then these two came up.

Maybe you'll find interesting bits in there, I certainly did.

regards andreas