Marshall McLuhan and internet culture

Hugo Estrada

Sep 10, 2013, 10:31:25 AM9/10/13
to philosophy-in-a-...@googlegroups.com

Every so often I am watching something on youtube or get a meme on twitter, and I get this sudden realization that Marshall McLuhan was right on so many things.

I found this short interview on youtube. It is uncanny how the man could have been describing internet culture today. Yet this interview happened back in  63 or 65. He could intuit where culture was heading by watching how people related to television, movies, and radio.

http://youtu.be/HeDnPP6ntic

Does anyone know if there are people who have explored McLuhan's ideas in the context of writing code?

 Here are some quick connections. Code is, after all, a medium, and often it experienced as a form of communication between programmers and provides a certain experience to users. Code memes exists both as the maligned copy-and-paste examples and as design patterns. Each programming community is essentially a global tribe, and each one has a distinct culture and lore.