FW: Graduate Student Conference in Philosophy of Education : DEADLINE EXTENDED

Burbules, Nicholas C

Jun 16, 2011, 12:07:40 PM6/16/11
to PHILOSED
GSCOPE 2011
Graduate Student Conference in Philosophy of Education
Call for Papers and Proposals

We are excited to invite papers and proposals for GSCOPE 2011, the 6th annual conference of Graduate Students in the Philosophy of Education. This year the conference will be held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign from October 7, 2011 – October 8, 2011.

With the release of the documentary Waiting for Superman last year, education has become a highly debated topic in everyday American discourse.  We believe that there is no better time than the present to take advantage of this ongoing public discussion.  As scholars interested in fundamental educational questions, we have a unique opportunity to frame these questions within a contemporary context that would enhance the current conversation and demonstrate the critical value of the philosophical foundations of education. Key areas in which we invite you to contribute include (among others):

•What is the purpose of schooling?
•Is schooling different from education?
•What distinguished “good” and “bad” teachers and how does this relate to tenure?
•What are we to make of the erosion of the distinction between the public and private spheres and how does this affect education?

This request for proposals is an invitation to enter into a timeless conversation with philosophers of education, both past and present, about the nature and aims of education.

GSCOPE also wishes to incorporate graduate scholars from related disciplines including, but not limited to: Philosophy; Global Studies; Curriculum & Instruction, Anthropology; History; Media Studies; Cultural Studies; Feminist Studies and Sociology.

Proposals may be submitted through the Open Journal System at: http://journal.tc-library.org/index.php/gscope.  Instructions for submission can be found at the bottom of the website.  Submissions may include either a manuscript (not to exceed 3500 words) or a paper proposal (between 500-1000 words).  Additionally, submissions must include a cover sheet with author’s name, phone number, email, institutional affiliation, title of manuscript or proposal, a 120-150 word abstract, and 3-5 keywords.  The new deadline for submissions is July 3, 2011.

Inquiries may be directed to: officer...@gmail.com.

Visit our website at http://officer.gscope.googlepages.com/gscope for updates.