Proposals for Debate Resolutions for Business Meeting - Friday January 21st, 4:30 PM - ICC 2nd Fl

Andrew Marsh

Jan 16, 2011, 2:59:29 PM1/16/11
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
My Philodemic Friends,

Please use this thread to submit your resolution ideas for the next
round of debates. I would ask you to put your best foot forward in
these resolution topics as these resolutions will be for Merrick
Season and we want to showcase the best ideas the Society has to
offer. These proposals will be compiled and presented at the Business
Meeting on Friday, January 21st, 4:30 on the Second Floor of the ICC.
Please endeavor to submit resolutions with will foster creative,
original and accessible debate.

Cheers,

Andrew

Jon Askonas

Jan 17, 2011, 1:30:23 AM1/17/11
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Resolved: Walmart does more harm than good.
Resolved: A Federal healthcare mandate is unconstitutional.
Resolved: Science destroys the necessity of God.

Will Downes

Jan 17, 2011, 3:57:02 PM1/17/11
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
R:The Establishment of the State of Israel advanced liberty.

Matt Cantirino

Jan 17, 2011, 5:32:07 PM1/17/11
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Some of these might be overwrought and esoteric, but we haven't had a
solid theology debate in a while.

Resolved: The "Donation of Constantine" / Edict of Milan ruined
Christianity.
Resolved: Nature is inherently corrupt.
Resolved: Nature is the medium of grace.
Resolved: Mankind is inherently evil (last debated in Fall, 2007)
Resolved: Moral progress is possible.
Resolved: Martin Luther did more harm than good.
Resolved: Faith and reason are compatible.
Resolved: Salvation depends entirely upon the free choice of the will
(Jansenism v. Jesuitism)

Sean Rosenthal

Jan 18, 2011, 2:18:20 PM1/18/11
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Resolved: The Categorical Imperative is Absurd
Resolved: The Declaration of Independence is Absurd (or the ideas of
the Declaration of Independence are absurd)
Resolved: The Declaration of Independence represents American values
more than the Constitution

As to the theological topics,

Resolved: Job should have cursed God (or something about the book of
Job).
Resolved: Eve is responsible for Adam's downfall.
Resolved: Humanity deserved Noah's flood.
Resolved: Judas is a hero.

Sean Rosenthal

Jan 18, 2011, 2:35:04 PM1/18/11
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Oh, and since the patriot act is up for renewal soon, I think it's a
good time to have a debate on that topic.

Resolved: The Patriot Act should be repealed.

Corina Kwami

Jan 18, 2011, 2:35:33 PM1/18/11
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
I second Resolved: Eve is responsible for Adam's downfall.

This would be a really interesting debate...As the business meeting
falls on my birthday and I would more than likely bring beignets if I
was there, can I propose a vote?

Cheers,

Corina

> --

Corina Shika Kwami
Georgetown University
Walsh School of Foreign Service 2010

Rahul Xavier Singh

Jan 18, 2011, 3:54:06 PM1/18/11
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
Resolved: The Purpose of Life is to be of Service to Others.
Resolved: The Purpose of Death is to replace the Past with the Future.

Rahul Singh | Internet Architect

To empower people through the Internet to create a better world.

Anant | http://anant.us
1055 Wisconsin Ave NW, Suite 250
Washington, D.C. 20007

o 202.905.2818 | m 202.390.9200
s mr.rahul.singh

Nick Iacono

Jan 19, 2011, 3:43:14 PM1/19/11
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Resolved: The presidency of Ronald Reagan did more harm than good.

Resolved: The presidency of Bill Clinton did more harm than good.

Resolved: The presidency of Ronald Reagan was superior to that of Bill
Clinton.

Resolved: The presidency of George W. Bush did more harm than good.

On Jan 18, 3:54 pm, Rahul Xavier Singh <rahul.xavier.si...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Resolved: The Purpose of Life is to be of Service to Others.
> Resolved: The Purpose of Death is to replace the Past with the Future.
>
> Rahul Singh | Internet Architect
>
> To empower people through the Internet to create a better world.
>
> Anant |http://anant.us
> 1055 Wisconsin Ave NW, Suite 250
> Washington, D.C. 20007
>
> o 202.905.2818 | m 202.390.9200
> s mr.rahul.singh
>
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Sean Rosenthal
> <frighteningf...@gmail.com>wrote:
> > philodemicsoci...@googlegroups.com<philodemicsociety%2Bunsubscr i...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Alex Henderson

Jan 19, 2011, 4:11:11 PM1/19/11
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
Resolved: Octavian Augustus was a two-bit thug.

Sean Rosenthal

Jan 20, 2011, 2:31:38 PM1/20/11
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Off of Iacono's resolutions,

Resolved: The impeachment of Bill Clinton was justified.
Resolved: George Bush embraced conservatism. (governed as a
conservative, something like that).