Resolutions for consideration at the March 23rd Business Meeting

Amanda Wynter

Mar 19, 2012, 2:19:49 PM3/19/12
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Hello All,

Please post your resolutions here!

Keep in mind that we will only be choosing two resolutions at the
business meeting: One non-Merrick, and one Dean Gordon. Please
delineate between the two types of resolutions when you post.

Thanks!
Amanda

Daniel Rendleman

Mar 19, 2012, 2:28:07 PM3/19/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
Please delineate between the two types of resolutions without having to specify.

Amanda

Nick Iacono

Mar 19, 2012, 2:59:56 PM3/19/12
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Seeeeerious:

Resolved: Dharun Ravi's punishment was just.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/17/opinion/butler-rutgers-spying/index.html?iref=allsearch

Resolved: Puerto Rico should be admitted as the 51st state.

DG:

Resolved: The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Resolved: The pandemic of pornography MUST be stopped!

On Mar 19, 2:28 pm, Daniel Rendleman <dfrendle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please delineate between the two types of resolutions without having to
> specify.

Constantine Petallides

Mar 19, 2012, 3:09:33 PM3/19/12
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Regular:
Resolved: NCAA Athletes should be paid

Dean Gordon:
Resolved: It's never "too soon"
Resolved: Real men wear pink
Resolved: The Bro and not the Hipster poses the greater threat to
Western Civilization

Constantine Petallides

Mar 19, 2012, 3:20:25 PM3/19/12
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Dean Gordon:

Resolved: Men and Women can't be friends
Resolved: Awkward is a choice

On Mar 19, 3:09 pm, Constantine Petallides <cjpetalli...@gmail.com>

Jordon Nardino

Mar 19, 2012, 3:23:03 PM3/19/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
The werewolf and not the vampire makes the better boyfriend.

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 19, 2012, at 12:21 PM, Constantine Petallides

Nick Iacono

Mar 19, 2012, 3:42:49 PM3/19/12
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Resolved: The Affordable Healthcare Act is bad law.

Tyler Hale

Mar 19, 2012, 4:30:12 PM3/19/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
"...is bad law" is a term of art meaning "was the law, but has been overturned/replaced/rescinded/etc."--a question of fact (it is not, yet). Would you mean "is a bad law"? If so, there are probably more nuanced ways of phrasing that.

Jacob Arber

Mar 19, 2012, 5:29:34 PM3/19/12
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Serious:

Resolved: Secular, not religious, universities provide a better
education.
Resolved: Print media is dying.

Dean Gordon:

Resolved: Life would be better as a musical.
Resolved: Bros before hoes. (Or chicks before dicks or pals before
gals. Whatever you prefer.)
But actually, I like the Vampire/Werewolf one and the Bro/Hipster one
way more.

On Mar 19, 4:30 pm, Tyler Hale <tyle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "...is bad law" is a term of art meaning "was the law, but has been
> overturned/replaced/rescinded/etc."--a question of fact (it is not, yet).
> Would you mean "is a bad law"? If so, there are probably more nuanced ways
> of phrasing that.

Nick Iacono

Mar 21, 2012, 9:48:39 PM3/21/12
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Jacob, I like the idea behind your print media debate and certainly
think we all appreciate pithy, concise resolutions...but maybe we can
frame it in a way that better gets at the positive vs. negative
development question that we want to get at. Print media is dying...is
just an empirical question...we want to know if its good or bad.

Maybe something like:

Resolved: The end of print Encyclopedia Britannica signals a positive
development for civilization.

just thinking out loud...

Matthew Hipple

Mar 21, 2012, 9:50:21 PM3/21/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
The end of Britannica was certainly not a positive development for
civilization, neither is the death of its encyclopedia.

Jordon Nardino

Mar 21, 2012, 9:56:40 PM3/21/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
You could do something like, Resolved: the newspaper is the superior news source to the internet.

An amazing book on the subject (except it's about print vs television):

Jacob Arber

Mar 22, 2012, 12:28:28 AM3/22/12
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Perhaps something along the lines of

Resolved: The death of print media is detrimental to society.

Or maybe more broadly, Resolved: Digital culture is inferior to analog
culture.

On Mar 21, 9:56 pm, Jordon Nardino <nard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You could do something like, Resolved: the newspaper is the superior news
> source to the internet.
>
> An amazing book on the subject (except it's about print vs television):http://www.amazon.com/Amusing-Ourselves-Death-Discourse-Business/dp/0...
>
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Matthew Hipple <matthip...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > The end of Britannica was certainly not a positive development for
> > civilization, neither is the death of its encyclopedia.
>
> > On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Nick Iacono <iacono.nicho...@gmail.com>

Josh Donovan

Mar 22, 2012, 7:08:44 PM3/22/12
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University

Serious:
Resolved: Obama's healthcare law is unconstitutional (or "should be
repealed" or "struck down").
Resolved: The Kony2012 campaign is doing more harm than good.
Resolved: Proposition 8 should remain struck down

Dean Gordon:
Resolved: Michelle Obama wears the pants in her marriage.

ELD,
Josh