Resolutions for consideration at the January 27th Business Meeting (Including Valentine's resolutions)

Amanda Wynter

Jan 22, 2012, 1:13:36 AM1/22/12
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Please post your resolutions, including any Valentine's debate
suggestions!

Thanks!

Jacob Arber

Jan 23, 2012, 12:46:01 PM1/23/12
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Resolved: I am my brother's keeper.
Resolved: The United States should preemptively strike Iranian nuclear
facilities.

Valentine's Day:

Resolved; Men and women can't be friends.
Resolved: Nice guys finish last. (All we want is bad boys.)

Emma Green

Jan 23, 2012, 5:02:12 PM1/23/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
A tasting of topics:

Resolved: Statesmanship is irrelevant to modern politics.
Resolved: Feminism is dead.
Resolved: We live in a post-racial society.
Resolved: Voting does not matter.
Resolved: Strong democracies require faithful citizens.
Resolved: Humphrey Bogart should not have let Ingrid Bergman go at the end of Casablanca.
Resolved: Casablanca does not portray true love.
Resolved: Women, not men, fare worse in modern romantic culture.

But actually, the only one that really matters is:

**Resolved: The suburbs are good for America.**

Hollah,
(E)MSLEOG

Jon Askonas

Jan 23, 2012, 11:51:39 AM1/23/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
Resolved: Feminism is dead.
Resolved: Vladimir Lenin did more harm than good.
Resolved: The Grand Inquisitor was justified.
Resolved: America is a Christian nation.
Resolved: The Presidency of Theodore Roosevelt did more harm than good
Resolved: Theodore, and not Franklin, was the greater Roosevelt.
Resolved: The US Economy is the greatest current threat to national security.
Resolved: The Mexican War did more harm than good.
Resolved: God is dead.
Resolved: Nietzsche is dead.
Resolved: The South will rise again.

Emma Green

Jan 23, 2012, 11:10:29 PM1/23/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
P.S. Jon: the South will rise again -- that's not a debate, just a fact.

Mirco Haag

Jan 23, 2012, 11:09:05 PM1/23/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
Valentine's Day:
Resolved: All is Fair in Love and War

Jordon Nardino

Jan 23, 2012, 11:06:14 PM1/23/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
Inspired by a recent reviewing of one of my all-time favorite movies, Clue, may I contribute Kiping via Colonel Mustard:  "Resolved: The female is the deadlier of the species."

Matthew Hipple

Jan 23, 2012, 11:43:54 PM1/23/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com

Valentine's Day Resolutions:
Twilight has done more harm than good.
Love is war.
Better to love and have lost than never to have loved at all.
Lies are essential to a healthy relationship.
Dischord is essential to a healthy relationship.
Opposites attract.

gavin bade

Jan 24, 2012, 9:42:29 AM1/24/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
Resolved: The United States offers equal economic opportunity to all

Richard Rinaldi

Jan 24, 2012, 12:36:04 PM1/24/12
to philodem...@googlegroups.com
Resolved: The U.S. government should support the Keystone XL pipeline.
WHY: Topical & timely, we don't do relevant environment debates much.

Resolved: Mitt Romney is too rich to be president of the United States.
WHY: Crystallizes the class issue we want to talk about into something punchy. Also raises a provocative point. Does rich necessarily mean out of touch? Or should we celebrate financial success in any form?

Resolve: Love conquers all.
WHY: Unless we've done it, why not? Figured I'd throw this out there for discussion at least.

Constantine Petallides

Jan 26, 2012, 10:35:00 PM1/26/12
to The Philodemic Society of Georgetown University
Resolved: Snape was a better man than Dumbledore --- (Courtesy of
Allison Melendez)