Dev Night Challenges

Will Stallwood

Oct 12, 2012, 2:41:20 PM10/12/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

Andrei and I have been talking a bit about dev night. We'd like to get a bit competitive and we want everyone to join us!

Every week we'll be busing out a game based on a challenge/theme. You have game dev night to create the game, but you get all week to think about what you want to make. So, today i'll be announcing the theme. We're going to start easy.

This coming week we're challenging you to make a Racing Game. No other rules. Any platform you want.

Team can be 1 or 2 people, to keep it nice and competitive. So far, these are the people taking part:
Andrei
Dain
Keith
Nikko
Myself

Hit me up and let me know what u guys think of this idea. It's basically a weekly mini-game-jam. So far, we'll all be working solo. But I love the idea of 2 man teams. Shoot me theme ideas etc. I want to do a night where we design based on a short youtube video or maybe artwork. Maybe something else like, your most hated genre. Let the spice flow.

Lata,
BJ

William Stallwood
Creative Director
Cipher Prime Studios

Auditorium, Fractal, Pulse, Splice

Zenas Bellace

Oct 12, 2012, 2:46:53 PM10/12/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
 I'm not sure if this wen through the first time…

On Oct 12, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Zenas Bellace <zenas...@me.com> wrote:

I'm in, though I'll probably be working on my own project until 8pm.  I'll volunteer Travis as my partner until he notifies me otherwise.  ;)

And if this is competitive, are we going to have judges vote on the best game or some other way to determine who "wins"?  ;)

Shawn Pierre

Oct 12, 2012, 2:50:30 PM10/12/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
I'm in.

....as long as one of the themes is 'Train Sim'

Cheers,
Shawn Pierre
http://www.origaminc.com
http://www.shawn.origaminc.com

Dave Buchhofer

Oct 12, 2012, 3:34:09 PM10/12/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a party to me. race on.

Andrei Marks

Oct 12, 2012, 3:45:02 PM10/12/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
Oh god yes, Train Sim for the week after the Racing theme has my vote too.

Andrei

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Andrei Marks | Developer
Cipher Prime | @cipherprime
and...@cipherprime.com | @andreimarks

Tim Ambrogi

Oct 12, 2012, 4:12:29 PM10/12/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
I'm booked up or out-of-town until basically 2013... but this sounds AWESOME and I can't wait to attend!

Great idea!

--Tim A.

Matthew Findlater

Oct 12, 2012, 4:14:48 PM10/12/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com

Can you participate if you cannot physically attend?

Christian Plummer

Oct 12, 2012, 5:45:16 PM10/12/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
I'm totally down for this, I even have an idea for a racing game I've been wanting to try. I'd love some help on it.

moisescarre

Oct 13, 2012, 11:57:32 AM10/13/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
I love it. Lets do it.

Daniel Jung

Oct 14, 2012, 12:52:04 AM10/14/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com, phill...@googlegroups.com
Count me in too!

Daniel Jung
Sent from my iPhone

Travis Carter

Oct 14, 2012, 10:52:56 AM10/14/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
I'm in. Team Zenas for the win.

Jake O'Brien

Oct 15, 2012, 5:46:23 PM10/15/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome. I'm out of town this week, but this will probably lure me back to dev nights in the soon time.

Dave Buchhofer

Oct 19, 2012, 3:12:53 PM10/19/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
So.. did anyone survive to finish?

Personally I'm throwing my vote in for Dain's concept.

Zenas Bellace

Oct 19, 2012, 3:30:53 PM10/19/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
Yep, there were about five of us there around 5am.  All the games were awesome.  :D

Andrei Marks

Oct 19, 2012, 3:36:36 PM10/19/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
Haha, we've got a number of pretty good prototypes. Everyone who finishes their ~12 hour builds let us know, and send us screenshots/builds/descriptions/etc. Just so the website will show entries in their end of jam condition, and then keep on working on it if you're so inclined and we'll update with results later on in time.

When more people send in their stuff we'll tidy up the site and make a showcase.

Also, we're thinking of doing the game jam every other week or once a month, rather than every week. Jam one week, review/work/polish on other stuff the next, rinse, repeat. What do you guys think? Once a week might be hazardous to our health.

Andrei

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Andrei Marks | Developer
Cipher Prime | @cipherprime
and...@cipherprime.com | @andreimarks

Shawn Pierre

Oct 19, 2012, 3:45:31 PM10/19/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
I like something other than every week, since everyone can't stay
until 5am. It'll give people more time to continue something if they
have to leave early for whatever reason. Yes, you can work on it
outside of the dev night, but I'd want to stay current with everyone
else, working on a game of the same theme.

When does the change in schedule start?
On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 03:36:36PM -0400, Andrei Marks wrote:
> Haha, we've got a number of pretty good prototypes. Everyone who finishes
> their ~12 hour builds let us know, and send us
> screenshots/builds/descriptions/etc. Just so the website will show entries
> in their end of jam condition, and then keep on working on it if you're so
> inclined and we'll update with results later on in time.
>
> When more people send in their stuff we'll tidy up the site and make a
> showcase.
>
> Also, we're thinking of doing the game jam every other week or once a
> month, rather than every week. Jam one week, review/work/polish on other
> stuff the next, rinse, repeat. What do you guys think? Once a week might be
> hazardous to our health.
>

> Andrei
>

> -=-=-=-=-=-=-
> *Andrei Marks* | Developer
> *Cipher Prime* | @cipherprime
> *and...@cipherprime.com* | @andreimarks

Zenas Bellace

Oct 19, 2012, 3:55:47 PM10/19/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
I like that idea.  Make it so!  :D

Sent from my iPad

Andrei Marks

Oct 19, 2012, 4:26:44 PM10/19/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
Change starts for the next jam. We'll figure out if it's in two weeks or three.

Andrei

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Andrei Marks | Developer
Cipher Prime | @cipherprime
and...@cipherprime.com | @andreimarks

Zenas Bellace

Oct 19, 2012, 7:02:35 PM10/19/12
to phill...@googlegroups.com
Okay so here is Moon…

and here is a quick and dirty description…

----------------
 the object of the game (at the moment) use the moon lander to land on the moon's landing pad, then take off again and return to the "mothership" (ie the floating landing pad)... each time you make the trip successfuly you get points with a bonus for left over fuel... you get more fuel if you hang out on the mother ship...
use left and right arrows to rotate the lander and up arrow for thrusters
you have to have less then relative velocity to land sucessfuly or you crash
and you velocity has to be zero to be considered landed
if you hit the purple ground its a crash

I'll clean that up in the near future.  ;)

I'm beat today.

Thanks for the awesome dev night guys.  :D

Looking forward to playing the other games.

Also, whats the URL for the dev nights?

-zenas