PANMA edu-gaming event

Jason Marziani

Mar 1, 2013, 2:56:32 PM3/1/13
to phill...@googlegroups.com, philly-d...@googlegroups.com
Free + pizza, but conflicts with dev night.  Field trip?
  • Group: Philadelphia Area New Media Association (PANMA)
  • Subject: Join us 3/28 for our educational event on How Video Games are Changing the Way We Learn

Few technologies have exploded into mainstream culture as quickly as video games. Non existent just a few decades ago, video games are now a multibillion dollar industry, with a presence in nearly every home (and pocket) in the country. With their rise in popularity, questions have arisen about how games can be used in industries other than entertainment – industries like education. And that is where our story begins.

During this session, we’ll talk about our group, the Educational Gaming Commons, and talk about how and why we are using video games to make a big impact at Penn State University. We’ll share some of the games we’ve created over the past several years and overview how they came to be. We’ll discuss our game development process – from napkin sketches to classroom deployment and explain how that process has evolved over time. We’ll break down our new game engine, and show how it has changed the way we create new products. And of course, we’ll share lessons learned from several years of making educational games – from aligning gameplay with learning, to addressing issues of accessibility, the ever changing demands of technology and keeping people (both players and stakeholders) happy.

Presenter:
Chris Stubbs, of Educational Gaming Commons, Education Technology Services at The Pennsylvania State University

Chris Stubbs is the Project Manager for Penn State’s Educational Gaming Commons – a university wide initiative dedicated to the use of video games in support instruction and research.  Chris also serves as a developer and designer for Penn State’s Education Technology Services unit, where he focuses on leveraging emerging technologies and social media in support of teaching and learning.

Register:
http://panma.eventbrite.com

Location:
Univ. of PA Wharton School, Huntsman Hall, Room 265, 3730 Walnut Street, Philadelphia PA 19104

Date: March 28, 2013

Time:
Doors open at 5:30pm. Program runs 6 – 7:30pm. Q&A until 8pm.

PANMA is grateful to our sponsors for their support of our programs:
http://www.ARCIntermedia.com
http://www.SeerInteractive.com
http://LaunchCycle.com
http://www.CreativeGroup.com
http://www.Mcm-i.com
http://www.SumoHeavy.com
http://www.Synergema.com
http://www.Edu-CyberPG.com

This event is FREE, thanks to our sponsors! And of course, we'll have pizza, thanks to Wharton!

If you are interested in joining PANMA's sponsors, http://www.panma.org/sponsorship
Posted By Nick Floro

Andrei Marks

Mar 4, 2013, 10:07:13 AM3/4/13
to phill...@googlegroups.com
If anyone goes they should steal a few boxes of pizza and bring them to dev night.

Andrei