YSRP is hiring a Director of Finance & Operations!

Katie Barnett

Sep 3, 2021, 1:08:50 PM9/3/21
to Philly Jobs for Change

Director of Finance & Operations

Position Description

About YSRP: The Youth Sentencing & Reentry Project (YSRP) seeks to end the practice of prosecuting youth in the adult criminal justice system. In the meantime, YSRP seeks to lessen the duration and impact of adult criminal sentences on children and their families, who are primarily low-income and Black and Brown. Through individual cases and policy advocacy, we work to transform the experiences of children prosecuted in the adult justice system, and to ensure that children who have contact with that system can return home and live full lives with dignity. We partner with court-involved youth, their families, and lawyers to develop holistic, humanizing narratives that mitigate the facts of each case in an effort to avoid adult incarceration and provide decision-makers with actionable alternatives. We make crucial connections to community resources, providing our youth and Juvenile Lifer client-partners with connections to supportive services in the areas of education, healthcare, housing, and employment. Finally, we work to raise awareness of the issues that young people face in the adult criminal justice system. For more information about YSRP’s mission, values and work, please visit our website.

Position Description: YSRP seeks a dynamic Director of Finance & Operations to ensure effective management and oversight of the organization’s fiscal and operational health. The Director of Finance & Operations is a full-time, exempt, staff position that will be part of YSRP’s Management Team and also will work closely with members of YSRP’s Board of Directors and external partners. This is a strategic position with key responsibilities related to the management of our financial resources, our team, and our core operational processes.

The Director of Finance & Operations will be responsible for the following core duties:

Managing all aspects of the organization’s finances and ensuring compliance with local, state and federal tax filings, including:

  • Bookkeeping and related record-keeping, including managing accounts payable and accounts receivable; and maintaining adherence to strong internal controls;

  • Generating accurate and timely financial reports, and monitoring and updating cash flow projections;

  • Preparing for and coordinating annual financial statement audits and filing IRS Form 990; and ensuring timely and accurate related tax filings and compliance requirements with federal, state and local entities;

  • Interfacing with external tax preparers and auditors as needed;

  • Driving budget approval processes; forecasting and planning for future revenue needs; and tracking and monitoring budgets and expenses throughout the year; and

  • Working with development staff to develop tools to track efficacy of forecasting and spending.

Managing HR functions of the organization, including:

  • Managing payroll and interfacing with third-party payroll provider, including onboarding of new employees; and managing employee payroll deductions and/or adjustments in conjunction with third-party payroll provider;

  • Maintaining contracts, agreements and related documents for independent contractors; and monitoring progress toward contract fulfillment;

  • Interfacing with health and other benefit plan brokers as needed; managing employee and dependant enrollments and/or adjustments as needed; and

  • Acting as the point of contact for HR needs for staff and external partners; periodically recommending  updates to organizational Personnel Policies; issuing updates to staff about changes to benefit plans and operating procedures as needed.

Managing operations functions of the organization, including:

  • Interfacing with insurance brokers and external partners for general liability and other policies; ensuring insurance policies are up to date on an ongoing basis;

  • Designing, overseeing and continuously improving operational systems and processes that enable the effective functioning of the team as we grow in size and complexity;

  • Ensuring team members have their physical and IT infrastructure and security needs met; troubleshooting and managing IT issues; maintaining server back ups, software licenses, equipment and other assets; interfacing with external providers as needed;

  • Managing day-to-day office administration; and

  • Managing relations with service providers and vendors as needed.

Other responsibilities for this position will include leading and managing special projects as needed; and participating in all-staff meetings, retreats, and trainings.

Required Experience:

  • Minimum 5 years experience in a nonprofit finance and/or operations role, preferably at the management level

  • Excellent Microsoft Excel & Google Suite skills

  • Proficient in QuickBooks Online

  • Knowledge of accounting skills and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)

  • Ability to think strategically and contribute to sound management practices

  • Excellent writing skills

  • Comfortable working remotely

Skills & Values:

  • Demonstrated alignment with YSRP’s mission and values as a racial justice organization

  • Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to develop relationships with staff, Board members, funders, vendors and consultants, external partners, and other stakeholders

  • Big picture thinker, with outstanding analytical and organizational skills, and excellent attention to detail

  • Ability to prioritize competing projects with a range of partners, and strong ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment

  • Commitment to confidentiality and ability to exercise discretion

Compensation:

The starting salary for the Director of Finance & Operations is $65,000. This is a full-time, exempt position. YSRP offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 100% employer-paid health and dental insurance, retirement benefits, short-term disability and life insurance, Flex Spending Account, and generous paid time off.

Logistics:

This position will be remote for the foreseeable future due to the ongoing and unpredictable nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, while YSRP’s office remains closed. The person filling this role must reside in the Greater Philadelphia area, as in-person work will resume when it is safe to do so.

How to Apply:

To apply, submit your resume along with answers to the following three questions (in place of a cover letter):

  1. Why do you want to work at YSRP?

  2. How do your skills align with this job?

  3. In what ways do you prioritize racial justice and/or ending mass incarceration in your life and experience?

by email to hir...@ysrp.org with “Director of Finance Applicant” and your last name in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and candidates will only be contacted if selected for further consideration. No phone calls, please.

We aim to recruit a diverse pool of candidates, and Black, indigenous and other people of color, and people who are directly impacted by incarceration -- or who have a family member who has been directly impacted -- are strongly encouraged to apply.

The Youth Sentencing & Reentry Project provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.