Straight Ahead is undertaking a statewide campaign to pass legislation that will offer parole opportunities for more than 1,100 people serving life-without-parole (LWOP) sentences for felony murder convictions, and for the 10,000 elderly incarcerated people serving long or life sentences that will likely end with their death in prison without parole reform.
Transformative Justice Organizer
Since the 1970s, politicians have used victims’ stories and voices to build a mass incarceration system built on punishment rather than healing, and fracturing communities rather than strengthening them. This position is about reclaiming what victims and communities impacted most by policing and incarceration need. The organizer will contact and build connections with those who have had harm done to them and develop and advocate for policy changes that will provide healing, especially those in poor, black, brown communities, and that experience the most crime and the highest policing and incarceration rates, and develop messaging around these experiences.
- Build an active base and community of people in Pennsylvania who have been impacted by crime and violence
- Work with our established core of volunteers who identify as victims, while developing new volunteer leaders and advocates
- Develop trauma-informed trainings so that people feel supported throughout their development
- Participate in, and sometimes organize, events and legislative visits that Straight Ahead and its partners are doing
- Develop messaging with other parts of Straight Ahead team to help counter current narratives of incarceration and public safety
- Participate in regular planning meetings with the rest of the Straight Ahead team to develop strategy for achieving lasting policy changes
Strongly preferred that the organizer has direct experience with harm and comes from communities most impacted by violence and incarceration.
Salary and benefits: Salaried position of 50k annually, with a health insurance benefit of up to $400.00 a month and 35 days (280hrs) of paid time off annually.
Philadelphia Community Organizer
Straight Ahead is seeking a full-time Community Organizer for an aggressive volunteer community organizing operation to help build political power for communities impacted by state violence and pass legislation that will substantially reform the Commonwealth’s criminal legal system.
Community Organizers are responsible for building a grassroots network of volunteers capable of engaging with elected officials as we work to move legislation.
Strong preference that applicants for the position have at least three to six months of canvass or other community organizing experience on an issue advocacy, voter mobilization program, or legislative campaign.
- Assist with the implementation of all aspects of the grassroots program, including but not limited to the recruitment, instruction and day-to-day management of volunteer teams
- Carry out community organizing events with the intention of increasing volunteer network
- Provide volunteer teams with the necessary guidance and resources required to master advocacy and mobilization best practices
- Maintain connections with base both in already established networks in Philadelphia Area and with newly made connections from community events
- Respond with timeliness to all issues and incidents on the ground as well as communicate all relevant issues and incidents to the Statewide Community Organizer.
- Maintain a positive attitude and promote a culture of teamwork and cooperation within the assigned teams.
Salary and Benefits: The salary starts at $48,000 and is negotiable based on experience, with a health insurance benefit of up to $400/month and 35 days (280hrs) of paid time off annually.
Learn more about both positions on our website.
Covid Considerations: All employees are currently working remotely. Both positions require some willingness to hold/attend in person meetings with community members, with attentiveness to precautions.
Application Process for both positions:
Please email your resume, two professional references, and a detailed cover letter explaining your interest in the position as a single PDF to rox...@straight-ahead.org. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Positions open until filled.
Straight Ahead is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, Indigenous people, LGBTQI-GNC people, and formerly incarcerated people are strongly encouraged to apply.