Development Director - VISTA Position - Kensington Soccer Club / Philadelphia Community Empowerment Through Soccer

Administrative Coordinator

Jan 3, 2022, 2:43:28 PM1/3/22
to Philly Jobs for Change

DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT - AN AMERICORPS VISTA POSITION

NOTE: LITTLE OR NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED - WE WILL TRAIN IF YOU ARE A SUITABLE APPLICANT

EMAIL YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO
AD...@KENSINGTONSOCCER.ORG

KENSINGTON SOCCER CLUB OVERVIEW

Kensington Soccer Club is not your typical youth sports organization. We are eliminating the barriers to participation in the beautiful game while building community in and around the sport within our diverse urban neighborhood. We offer quality soccer and youth development programs for everyone, regardless of ability to pay.

Our organization brings together youth from all backgrounds and incorporates academic enrichment, health & wellness education, mentorship, and violence prevention into all programming. We advocate for our youth and families — connecting them to the resources and opportunities they need to succeed on the field and in life — through our active participation in over 20-community civic organizations.

POSITION DESCRIPTION

Work with a dynamic grassroots organization serving 1500 children and growing. Help us elevate to the next level, have an even bigger impact on our youth and community, and secure the continuation of our work for many years to come. All while gaining valuable experience in a supportive environment. As a VISTA position, this is perfect for career changers, recent graduates, or retirees. After a year, we are hoping to be able to convert this position to a non-VISTA salary position.

This is an Up2Us Sports AmeriCorps VISTA Position at Kensington Soccer Club
Up2Us Sports is a coalition of more than 1,390 nonprofit organizations that believes in the power of sports to fight childhood obesity, end academic failure, and reduce gang participation. Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) is a federal grant program under the umbrella of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) and AmeriCorps. For more than 40 years, VISTA has been at the forefront of building the capacity of communities to fight poverty. VISTA members devote a year of their lives to challenge poverty’s root causes. They achieve this by mobilizing community volunteers and local resources, and by increasing the capacity of individuals in low-income neighborhoods to rely on themselves to make positive change.

The Up2Us Sports AmeriCorps VISTA program aims to build the capacity of Up2Us Sports member organizations who run high-quality sports-based youth development programming in under-served communities.

JOB SUMMARY
The Director of Development will oversee our fundraising program and position the organization for further growth. In partnership with the Executive Director, other administrative staff, and the Board of Directors, the Director of Development will oversee strategies to raise funds from individuals, foundations, corporations, and the government sector.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

  • Development Planning- Drive the work of the development department including long-term, annual, and day-to-day planning, prioritizing, and management of Kensington Soccer Club’s development work. Create an annual fundraising plan in collaboration with our staff and board leadership.

  • Donor Relations- Manage Kensington Soccer Club’s giving program, developing the strategies, cultivation activities, materials/messages, and stewardship programs required to attract and retain gifts from individuals. Work with the Executive Director and Board to find, cultivate, and solicit new major donors. Prepare the E.D. and board for donor meetings. Build relationships with donors.

  • Grant Writing and Grants Management- Maintain and expand our grants program, draft and edit grant proposals and/or work in collaboration with a grant writing consultant to develop proposals, prepare timely grant reports, steward relationships with existing foundation donors, cultivate new foundations, and develop strategies for aligning Kensington Soccer Club’s programmatic goals and projects with the interests of foundations and sponsors.

  • Event Planning- Work in collaboration with the Executive Director and Board to organize small events that would enhance Kensington Soccer Club’s donor cultivation strategies. Plan larger fundraising events on a less frequent basis.

  • Information Management- Develop a system to ensure ongoing communication with donors, timely gift acknowledgement, accurate record keeping, tracking, and reporting.

  • Board of Directors- Partner effectively with Kensington Soccer Club’s Board to raise funds for the organization. Participate in Board committees as needed.

  • Sponsorships- Develop and implement a strategy for pursuing sponsorships of events and programs that fits with our mission and values.

  • Collaborate- Work closely with our Partnerships Coordinator, Communications Coordinator, Program Directors, Volunteer and Member Engagement Coordinator, and Administrative Assistants.

  • Other- Other development functions as needed.

GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES

  • Participate in staff meetings.

  • Participate in Kensington Soccer Club events when necessary.

  • Demonstrate effective communication skills in building relationships with employees, participants, and the public.

QUALIFICATIONS

Qualified candidates will have a bachelor's degree, a passion for the mission of the Kensington Soccer Club, and some experience related to our field and to non-profit development. The candidate will be an organized self-starter, work well under pressure and in a flexible yet fast-paced environment, be a skilled writer and communicator, and have a curiosity for learning about development. The position is a one-year contract and starts January 19th. For more information about the Kensington Soccer Club, visit www.kensingtonsoccer.org

COMPENSATION

Stipend:

From $18,560 to $26,944 per year, depending on experience.

Benefits:

  • Leave: 10 sick days and 10 personal days.

  • Relocation assistance: VISTA members who are moving 50 miles or more from their home are eligible to receive a settling-in allowance of $750. Additionally, members receive a travel allowance to cover any travel expenses and is based on the mileage from the VISTA's home address to site address.

  • End-of-service benefit: Choice between the Segal Education Award ($6,495) or cash stipend ($1,800) upon successful completion of the term.

  • Health benefits: If VISTA members already have insurance, they can enroll in the Allowance Plan, which will help to cover out-of-pocket expenses. If members do not have insurance, they can enroll in the Benefits Plan, a basic health plan, at no cost.

  • Non-competitive eligibility: VISTA alumni applying to federal agencies have a faster application process.