CAPE MAY DYNO 2022

Woody / Natalie Felice

Aug 23, 2022, 8:28:54 PM8/23/22
to phill...@googlegroups.com
Hello y'all!

Although this is not an official email re: Cape May Dyno 2022 this is a reminder that Cape May Dyno is happening.
As always, it is on the last Friday in September, which is the 30th this year, so we'll be riding into October 1st.

I am planning on getting a Airbnb again like a small group of us did last year so we can chill on Saturday/Sat night and ride up to Atlantic City on Sunday. I'm looking at a few with 6-8 bed spots, plus a yard if folks want to camp. Likely would be about $100 or so, maybe less if there more people/if you're camping. I'm also thinking about doing Friday&Saturday so we can go there as early as we want to on Saturday rather than wait until check-in time.

LET ME KNOW OF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN JOINING! Feel free to respond here or text me (703-298-8133). I've already talked to a few folks about it who are in, but just trying to get a rough head count of interest. I'm booking ASAP then people can pay me later.

- Woody

Yolanda Gomez Galvez

Aug 23, 2022, 11:26:30 PM8/23/22
to Woody / Natalie Felice, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi Woody!!

Count me in for the Airbnb, please! I can't wait to ride this year again!!! 🎉💃🏻🎉 Getting Friday and Saturday seems a very good idea, and I don't mind to camp if that's the only option.

Hopefully see you soon.

Yoli

---
Yolanda Gómez Gálvez (she/her)

CJ Arayata

Aug 25, 2022, 9:45:20 PM8/25/22
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi all,

Here is an officially-unofficial email for the 7th Annual CAPE. MAY. DYNO.

Shoutout to Nick and Woody for helping me craft it in 2021 and for Nick letting me use his RWGPS Premium account to update the routes. Apologies in advance for the huge info dump. And please feel free to keep the email discussion going too with any thoughts or questions!

OVERVIEW:
  • Cape May Dyno is an unsanctioned, unsupported, ride-at-your-own-risk overnight bicycle adventure from Philadelphia, to Cape May, NJ. The route is very flat and there are plenty of rest stops. Most riders tend to clump together in a group, but you should ride the pace that suits you. The general idea is that we arrive in Cape May in time to watch the sunrise at 6:54AM on Saturday morning. After arriving in Cape May, riders can choose to stay in Cape May to enjoy the beach or press on to Atlantic City where a train will whisk you back to Philadelphia in 90 minutes.
START: LIBERTY BELL. MEET 6:30PM, DEPART 7PM on Friday, September 30th, 2021.
  • For future reference, CAPE MAY DYNO will occur every year on the last Friday in September, rain or shine, departing at 7PM from the Liberty Bell from now until no one shows up.
FINISH: CAPE MAY, NJ (slash, Atlantic City, NJ)

TRAVEL LOGISTICS:
After arriving in Cape May, riders can choose from a variety of options:
  • Want to hang? Check out Airbnbs in the area. Many have 2 or 3 night minimum bookings, so you might have to book Saturday evening and Friday evening to be able to check in at any time on Saturday morning, and to depart on Sunday. Woody is booking an Airbnb in the Villas area of Cape May, but others are encouraged to research options and coordinate with others via this thread.
  • Train: The Atlantic City Rail Line will get you from AC back to 30th St. Station in 90 minutes. You just need to uh, ride your bike 45 miles to get to Atlantic City. The train costs $10.75. Schedule can be found here.
  • Bus: NJ Bus 552 runs between Cape May and AC. Bus 551 runs between AC and PHL. There are also local buses that run from Cape May to Philadelphia, but these generally take MUCH longer. Please research your own options for timing, fares, bike accessibility, etc.
  •  Ferry: Don’t want to go home? The Cape May-Lewes Ferry is ready to take you away on a 90 minute ride to the magical state of Delaware, where you can check out Cape Henlopen State Park, splish splash at Rehoboth Beach, and buy anything your heart desires with 0% sales tax.
ROUTES (subject to change, but 95% final):
 Outbound to Cape May (99 mi, 1,600 ft elevation). The route to Cape May features 24 hour Wawas every 20-30 miles (and sometimes even less). Most, if not all, of these Wawas have bathrooms.
Inbound to AC (46 mi, 200 ft elevation). The route to AC also features Wawas, but these are generally in small shore towns and most open at 6AM. Some have bathrooms and some do not.

RIDER EXPECTATIONS:
  • This is an UNSANCTIONED and UNSUPPORTED overnight ride.
  • DYNAMO LIGHTING (or VERY strong battery lighting, with backups / spare batteries / chargers / etc. that will last 12 hours) is REQUIRED for this ride. Front and rear lights should be operated on STEADY mode, not blinking, at all times. Reflective vests, ankle bands, and any other kind of reflective or high-visibility gear is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED.
Every rider is responsible for themselves. This means that:
  • Each rider is expected to have the routes downloaded onto their phone via the RWGPS app or a dedicated cycling GPS unit and be able to NAVIGATE the routes on their own.
  • Each rider is expected to carry spare tubes, tools, etc. to deal with any MECHANICAL issues they may experience during the ride.
  • If a rider is unable to complete the ride to Cape May, it is the sole responsibility of that rider to figure out how to get themselves back to Philadelphia or wherever. It's never a bad idea to have a bail out plan. For example, you could have a friend on call who will have their phone on loud overnight and would be willing to drive to Jersey to pick you up at 3AM.
TIPS, TRICKS, HELPFUL HINTS:

If you have not yet tackled longer rides and/or overnight rides, the Randonneurs USA handbook is an excellent resource on a variety of relevant topics, such as training, bike fit, nutrition, and mental fitness. Here are some chapters that may interest you as you prep and pack for CMD:
  • Night riding
  • What to pack:  If you are planning on hanging at the beach or staying at an Airbnb, you will want to pack swim stuff, regular clothes and shoes, towel, toiletries, phone charger, etc. You will also want to pack one more layer than you think you need. It is surprising how cold it can be overnight, or when you are laying on the beach at 4AM on October 1st!
Once you get all of your stuff together and your bike packed and set up, go for a shakedown ride! Are your bags strapped on tight? Is your headlight beam pointed at a good angle when it is pitch black outside? Can you access items you might need while riding quickly and easily? Can you do this while riding in the dark? Is your cue sheet readable at night? Will your phone or GPS last 12+ hours?

Hopefully you know how your body will react to an all-nighter. Please come to the ride well-rested. If not, there is plenty of caffeine and camaraderie available to get you through the night. I recommend brushing up on your cheesy jokes and tall tales for entertainment during the wee hours.

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS:

For those who have never joined us for a previous Cape May Dyno, YOU WILL HAVE A GOOD TIME. The company is good, the route is flat, and there are Wawas every few hours to keep you chugging along.

Best,
CJ

Michael Ross

Aug 26, 2022, 10:35:19 AM8/26/22
to CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
this sounds great!!! im in. thanks for organizing this!!!

David Harries

Aug 26, 2022, 5:59:42 PM8/26/22
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I’m in! Excited for my first Cape May ride. Thanks for all the organizing!

CJ Arayata

Sep 6, 2022, 2:33:14 PM9/6/22
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
For those trying to get a dyno set up, there are some wheels to be had in this listing, which looks cross-posted to a few different relevant Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/g/650b/c/C758AgJdfs4

Text below for convenience:

Elton Lance
Aug 31, 2022, 6:11:34 PM (5 days ago)
to 65...@googlegroups.com, Rando List, iBOB List BOB, RBW List

Lots of bites but no takers, so. . . Another try with lower prices and photos.

Three dynamo wheels and one dynamo headlight needing new homes.   The wheels are all professionally built and are tight, straight and true.  They are all in excellent condition with no visible sidewall wear and LOTS of miles left.

All prices include shipping and I'll entertain offers if you think my prices are out of line. . .

#1:  SonDelux SL 32H Silver Polish - Pacenti Brevet 650B rim - DT Revolution 2.0/1.5 silver spokes - alloy nips - Pacenti tubeless rim tape installed.  A very light and strong wheel.  Tubeless compatible.  Note: This hub is the connector-less version. $435

#2: SonDelux 32H Silver Ano - Velocity A23 650B Polished Silver rim - DT Competition 2.0/1.8 silver spokes - brass nips - Stan's tubeless rim tape installed.  Tubeless compatible.  $400

#3: SonDelux 32H Silver Polish - Mavic 700C Open Pro or Open Sport silver rim (I don't recall which as they look similar but the decal is missing).  $325

Also, 1 headlight:

--  B&M IQ-X black.  $115

Norman Smeal

Sep 8, 2022, 10:07:29 PM9/8/22
to CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Group.
I am interested.  Count me in.
Anyone up for riding back to Philly?
If so, I am game.
Cheers

Sep 27, 2022, 11:42:29 AM9/27/22
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
hi all,
given the weather forecast:  will there be any official notice if the ride is cancelled? or does it go, hurricane rain, or not???
thanks,
mike

CJ Arayata

Sep 27, 2022, 1:32:07 PM9/27/22
to bicycleutopia, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi Mike,

The weather forecast is less than ideal, but that being said, there won't be any "official" cancellation. Hurricane rain or shine...

People are, of course, encouraged to evaluate their current plan and choose the course of action that is best for them. This may involve riding the "classic" route to AC (or even back to Philadelphia), arranging for a significant other or family to pick you up in Cape May, taking a closer look at the bus and train timetables, etc.

Also, I encourage folks to flip through the RUSA Handbook chapter on riding in the rain: https://www.pageturnpro.com/Progress-Printing/92595-Handbook/0/mdefault.html105

Everyone should feel free to chime in with their thoughts, feelings, questions and to confirm/deny their participation.

Best,
CJ

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/philly-dyno/0e2f4d5d-cbe1-4df1-8018-9e1cc4876de8n%40googlegroups.com.

Greg Biché

Sep 27, 2022, 2:10:48 PM9/27/22
to CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society, bicycleutopia
well put, cj, as always.

i’ll be riding, rain or shine. if it rains i’ll skip the beach and probably head to AC for the train? not exactly sure. But i’m definitely still going.

--

Gregory Biché
he/him

Michael Ross

Sep 29, 2022, 6:54:02 PM9/29/22
to CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
well...i won't be joining the rain ride to cape may. i would be very rich if i had a dollar for every ride in lousy weather I've done over the last 35 yesrs ...too bad you don't have a rain date... and more events! i live in Washington dc but id be happy to help with organizing if need be. my daughter and son in law live in manayunk... they're  connected to bike shops, racing, randonnering, and advocacy. bike party in Baltimore Friday night will suck too. how about a big night ride for Philly bike expo weekend?? best regards, mike

CJ Arayata

Sep 29, 2022, 9:30:55 PM9/29/22
to Michael Ross, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi all,

Writing to the group to say that I personally will not be riding this year. I also have heard from many of the multi-year CMD veterans (Gary W., Ag, Zack, Woody) that most of them will also not be riding this year. Given the hurricane and the extreme rain and winds that will occur overnight and into the weekend, it seems that the casual, chill, and fun vibes that are a hallmark of CMD won't really be possible this year. All of the rest stops are Wawas and thus not conducive to sheltering, and waiting on the beach in pouring rain to watch the "sunrise" also doesn't seem very fun.

That all being said, I will be at the Liberty Bell start tomorrow evening to see off intrepid riders, for those who choose to undertake this journey this weekend. For those riders, a rest stop note: The currently listed Millville Wawa on the outbound route is NOT a Super Wawa. I recommend instead stopping at the nearby Millville Super Wawa at 1711 E Main St, Millville, NJ 08332.

Re: Airbnb. If you ARE planning on riding, and are looking for a place to stay in Cape May once you arrive, there is an AirBnb that has been booked by Woody for Friday night through Sunday morning. If you are interested in staying there, send her an email ASAP (wo...@keystone.bike) and please consider throwing her some money so she isn't put out due to the late unfortunate turn of events. She is unable to cancel or reschedule at this point and thus it is either this weekend or nothing. Some of those who have already paid are still considering going down for the weekend so it is not a total loss. If this sounds like a fun time to you, even if you had not initially expressed interest, get in touch with Woody!

Finally, for those of you who won't be riding tomorrow but who would still want to ride CMD in general, I encourage you all to use this thread and forum to discuss potential rain dates. All of the information in the initial email is still valid and all you will need to plan your own overnight adventure.

Best,
CJ

Yolanda Gomez Galvez

Sep 29, 2022, 10:39:08 PM9/29/22
to CJ Arayata, Michael Ross, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I'm very upset about this weather :( :( :( I was so motivated for this year!!

I'm still down to go to the Airbnb with whoever wants to go and expend the weekend there (cooking food, playing games, drinking beer...). Bring other friends and/or family! If interested, please contact me using this thread or DM (267-844-9947).

P.S. maybe this is just a stupid idea, but if someone in this group loves extreme type 2 fun and is crazy enough to ride under the rain and the wind, I would be tempted (perhaps riding during the day on Saturday is a better option? idk). I'm a slow rider and my pace might not be the best under bad conditions, but I think I do ok with terrible weather. I might regret these words tho.

Yolanda Gómez Gálvez (she/her)

MacKenzie Hand

Sep 29, 2022, 11:00:43 PM9/29/22
to Yolanda Gomez Galvez, CJ Arayata, Michael Ross, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Super bummed! Was excited to join up this year. Some folks were planning to take the train to philly from lancaster for the ride. Gonna salvage the lost weekend with a day ride tomorrow, but will not be doing the ride proper.

The plan is now to ride to philly from lancaster, departing between 10-11am tomorrow (9/30). I don’t know if anyone else was heading out from our neck of the woods, but the invite is open.

Feel free to text me directly @ (828) 423-8785 if you want to join our excursion.

Thanks for organizing, and looking forward to the next chance to ride with y’all.

-Mac

--
___________________________________
MacKenzie James Hand

mail2...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2022, 11:01:06 AM9/30/22
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi ya'll,

Thanks to everyone who helped organize this ride! I'm similarly disappointed about the circumstances this year, and reflecting on what a future of intense storms and weather might look like. Is anyone on this thread is still planning on riding tonight?  I am still interested in trying for the sake of challenge and adventure, but don't feel experienced enough to ride through the night without a few others. Feel free to send me a email or text if you are!

Ritam

Michael E Reali Jr

Oct 1, 2022, 2:46:58 PM10/1/22
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Way to go Yolanda and Ritam, the only CMD22 riders! 🙌🏻

Here are my photos from the meet up: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjA9oZg

And here is a video of Yolanda and Ritam rolling out: https://youtube.com/shorts/_HCPSvFSEyk?feature=share

Greg Biché

Oct 1, 2022, 2:53:15 PM10/1/22
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Holy Hurricane, Batman!!

that’s extremely impressive, i wanna hear all about it!

hats off to you two. youve kept the flame burning