cardboard bike box

Barankay, Iwan

May 23, 2019, 10:53:24 AM5/23/19
to phill...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I am travelling to Germany in June for a week and want to take my bike. Would any of you have access to surplus cardboard bike boxes or would you know which store might give them away?

Many thanks,

Iwan

Greg Biché

May 23, 2019, 12:11:02 PM5/23/19
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
when i worked at trophy, we always had spare bike boxes around, and if someone asked for one we would just give em away.
i’d say just call your closest/favorite shop and ask if they have any extras you can take. make sure to leave something extra in the tip jar!

Trophy Bikes

May 23, 2019, 12:50:46 PM5/23/19
to Barankay, Iwan, phill...@googlegroups.com
ALSO:
If you haven’t packed a bike for flight before… do get some advice, etc. You can’t pad it too much!
ALSO ALSO: one thing we recommend is REMOVE the rear derailer , so it doesn’t get smacked by being up against the outside wall of the bike, thus bending and/or bending yr derailer hanger.

 cheers
   — mcget / trophy bikes

Barankay, Iwan

May 23, 2019, 3:45:33 PM5/23/19
to Trophy Bikes, Barankay, Iwan, phill...@googlegroups.com
Great advice!
Then you.

Nick Calcagni

May 24, 2019, 9:20:25 AM5/24/19
to Iwan Barankay, Trophy Bikes, Philly-Dyno
I concur on that good advice.

Re: bike box packing

If anything is slightly lose (like the steertube spacers and top cap if your stem is removed to fit your handlebars in) they will work their way off your bike, into the bottom of the box, and then out of any hand holes in the box.

Makes you think UPS or FedEx planes do barrel rolls during flight.

-Nick