Cape May Dyno 2021 Thread

CJ Arayata

Aug 10, 2021, 10:51:36 PM8/10/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi all,

Cape May Dyno is quickly approaching. I realize that we never announced the plan for this year and all future years: The
e last Friday in September, from now until when no one shows up.

That being said, this year's date is Friday, September 24th.

As past ride alums can attest, we've done it a few different ways. The "classic" 150 miles from PHL-Cape May-AC, as well as taking the ferry to DE and camping/beaching there.

I'm writing to all to see 1) who is interested, and 2) what kind of ride you'd like to do. It is possible that people might end up with their own plans, but it is always fun to try to plan something for the larger group.

As for me, I think I would prefer to do the 150-mile "classic", but also could entertain some beach time in the middle or maybe an Airbnb if the location and price is right (although I haven't had much luck in finding one).

Start sounding off!

Best,
CJ

Gregory Biché

Aug 12, 2021, 10:28:02 PM8/12/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Oh yeah! my favorite ride of the year!
I think it might be too late to find a good/cheap place to stay overnight down in/near cape may but maybe i'm wrong? So i'm also leaning toward the classic option; tack on the extra km to atlantic city and take the train home.

also ive been toying with the idea of doing the ride on my fixed gear raleigh instead of the trusty ol soma... but not making any decisions just yet

Natalie Felice

Aug 12, 2021, 11:03:01 PM8/12/21
to Gregory Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I found a small Airbnb in Cape May that sleeps six (I think there is a yard so possibly room for tent camping, but i need to check) and it is available for Saturday night so I booked it. Total was like $270ish after tax/fees. There's free cancelation until like mid-Sept so I figured I'd grab this place and then we can make a decision because it was literally the only place I could find that was cheap and available.

Doing the whole thing "classic style" is a little more than I want to do after a year+ of minimal riding. My ideal weekend is ride Friday through the night, get to Cape May Sat morning, then beach chill, snooze, swim during the day, sleep at this place in Cape May (it's on the bay side) Saturday night and then ride to Atlantic city on Sunday and take the train back to the city. If no one is into that I can cancel this place, but if some people want to join me doing it this way and others want to ride the whole thing that's cool, too. Just want to throw this option out there and maybe make it more accessible for folks that aren't up to ride the whole thing in one go (me). Plus I'm trying to maximize beach time.

Woody

Zachary Rachell

Aug 12, 2021, 11:14:54 PM8/12/21
to Natalie Felice, Gregory Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I will be at the dyno! Shmem rose also.

We’re down to go in for that air bnb. I think we plan to do the ride to cape may and then beach day as she described. Maybe eat a celebratory crab. Train at our leisure.

- Zachary

Gregory Biché

Aug 12, 2021, 11:42:41 PM8/12/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Oh snap, Woody that kinda changes my mind! shoot, if theres still space can I get in on that?
i can ask you for more details next time i see you. and i can pay you then too etc etc.

Timothy Conheeney

Aug 13, 2021, 5:08:24 PM8/13/21
to Gregory Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hello all,

Long time pedaller, first time caller. I'd like in on this year's dynorama it possible. That is unless it's a No Tims Club, and you already have one Tim (it says Tims, we can have one!). Anyway, I've got camp equipment if the lawn camping is a go, willing to chip in on the Airbnb. Let me know, I got very excited when I noticed this as I recently got a dyno hub and am looking to make some amps and volts.

Peace and Happy Weekend!
Tim

James Hultquist-Todd

Aug 13, 2021, 10:41:30 PM8/13/21
to phill...@googlegroups.com
I’m up for splitting the Airbnb.

Arrick Underhill

Aug 15, 2021, 9:58:48 AM8/15/21
to James Hultquist-Todd, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
It looks like its full already, but I'm down if there's still space in the airbnb!

/Arrick

Gary Wilpizeski

Aug 17, 2021, 10:38:35 AM8/17/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I'm probably just going to cruise back up to AC to take the train after we get to Cape May and hang on the beach for a bit if anybody else is looking for a group to do that with.

Natalie Felice

Aug 17, 2021, 1:33:21 PM8/17/21
to Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey y'all! I'm going to reach out to the Airbnb guy and ask about yard camping and check-in time and then I'll let y'all know the plan!

There's def room for some/all folks, but let me nail down a number.

Yolanda Gomez Galvez

Aug 24, 2021, 12:51:46 PM8/24/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey!! Hey!! Hey!!

Nice to meet you all! After thinking a lot about that, my friend and I want definitely join you for this ride - not sure if we will be as fast as you - we will try our best! - but we can always go slower together if you are too fast for us :) I'm pretty new in the country so super excited to do this! Also, Woody's plan sounds perfect to me as I´ve never been in the beach here.

Is there still space in the Airbnb/garden for camping? If not, we will find something else.

Can anyone share the route is you I can check it out?

Thank you :D :D

Big hug,

Yolanda

CJ Arayata

Aug 24, 2021, 9:58:42 PM8/24/21
to Yolanda Gomez Galvez, Nick Manta, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey Yolanda,

Stoked you'll be joining us! Below are the routes. I was talking to @Nick Manta and I am not sure what routing we will go with. In previous years, we would have a diner stop either 3/4s of the way at Somer's Point Diner (old route) or a stop halfway at Millville Diner (new route). The thing is, both of those diners are no longer 24 hours, which means we will be subsisting on a steady diet of Wawa for 100 miles. Not so bad, but, a diner was part of the original appeal.

Anyways, here is the old route. Services aren't listed, but there are generally Wawa's every 20-30 miles, and more frequently once we get to the shore towns:

Here is the new route, with services marked on the map:

I welcome everyone's thoughts on which routing they prefer. I honestly prefer the new routing as it feels more 'scenic', but also, riding through shore towns in the wee hours is fun as well.

I do want to note that one important aspect of Cape May Dyno is, in the event of becoming separated from the 'main' group, that people are able to navigate on their own and handle minor mechanicals, etc. Yolanda, I don't know if you have any sort of GPS unit, but the RideWithGPS app running on a bar-mounted smartphone is a potential solution. You'll just want to make sure to have an external battery or something that allows your phone to be on for many many hours!

Happy to give more guidance on this or any other aspect of the ride to anyone receiving this email. Feel free to reply privately or to the group.

Best,
CJ

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/philly-dyno/de4f7e46-0c29-4438-855f-02c5e639d124n%40googlegroups.com.

Yolanda Gomez Galvez

Aug 25, 2021, 8:57:27 AM8/25/21
to CJ Arayata, Nick Manta, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi CJ,

Excellent!! Thank you so much for all your advice and help. I've done a decent amount of bike touring before, so I should be ok in terms of navigation :) I should improve my mechanical skills though, but we will work on that before the route.

Cheers,

Yolanda

Yolanda Gómez Gálvez (she/her)

Josh Armstrong

Aug 25, 2021, 9:11:52 AM8/25/21
to Yolanda Gomez Galvez, CJ Arayata, Nick Manta, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Yolanda (and CJ and everyone else),

Thanks for resurrecting this thread now that I joined the google group! I'm leaning towards the option that Gregory mentioned earlier -- head up towards Atlantic City and take the train back (and also fixed gear) on Saturday. I don't want to deal with an overnight stay, and it's probably better the sooner I'm back in Philly. One question about the train -- that's something that doesn't need to be arranged in advance, right? Just show up with me, my bike, my mask, and some money and I'll be good to go?

I'll bring a battery bank and will cross my fingers that fixed gear means no mechanicals. I don't know enough about the two routes to make an educated decision between them, but I like "scenic", CJ! Also, I know it's sacrilegious but I prefer Sheetz to Wawa -- but can't complain about resupply spots that frequent.

Josh

Brendan Detweiler

Aug 25, 2021, 11:10:08 AM8/25/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey ya'll,

I'm excited to say, I'll be joining the Cape May Dyno with my good friend Devin.

What's the official start time and location this year?

Can I cast my vote for the scenic route through central NJ?

Without the diner stop, are there plans for a regroup spot, should anyone get separated (ahead or behind)?

Personally, I'm looking forward to sunrise on the beach, drinking stale coffee in wawa parking lots, and feeling that out-of-body experience that only comes from staying awake through the night.

Dev & I have our own logistics for staying over and getting back on Sunday. So we won't add any complications or to the airbnb numbers.

Brendan

Natalie Felice

Aug 25, 2021, 4:03:13 PM8/25/21
to Brendan Detweiler, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Airbnb guy was super nice and seems totally fine with camping. Just so everyone is aware: check in is 3pm on Saturday (I'm going to ask if that is flexible, but assuming for now that it isn't) so we have beach time/nap time/maybe diner time on Saturday from sunrise-ish until 3, then we have the place until 11am on Sunday.
I will probably ask folks to throw a few dollars, maybe less for those camping? But for now if everyone who wants to join responds to me via this thread or texts me (703-298-8133) so I can get a rough list going.

Woody

Yolanda Gomez Galvez

Aug 25, 2021, 11:17:03 PM8/25/21
to Natalie Felice, Brendan Detweiler, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi Woody,

My friend (Lulin) and I are down for the Airbnb, either inside the house or camping. I've just got a new tent, and I really like to sleep in there, so whatever is easier for you!
Thank you so much for sorting this out for us ☺️

Best,

Yoli

Yolanda Gómez Gálvez (she/her)

Trophy Bikes

Aug 26, 2021, 11:12:08 AM8/26/21
to cj arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
For what it’s worth, it looks like there’s a 24-hr (on Fri/Sat) Denny’s about 1.9 mi. from the Millville Diner…

- they confirmed wll be open 24hrs in Sept. on Fri-Sat.

And have heard of (but never been at) to The Depot campground/trailer thingee

Which is pretty close to Cape May…

  with kind regards,
- mcget

Timothy Conheeney

Aug 26, 2021, 1:47:11 PM8/26/21
to Trophy Bikes, cj arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I'm still in!

-Tim

Natalie Felice

Sep 16, 2021, 9:52:41 AM9/16/21
to Timothy Conheeney, Trophy Bikes, cj arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay, but I just want to verify folks staying at the AirBnB Saturday night.
I have:
- Me + maybe CJ
- Zack
- Shmem
- Greg
- Arrick
- Tim (camping)
- Yolanda + Lulin (camping)

If more folks want to camp, that is fine, just let me know plz. The place looks pretty small so prob not that much floor space, but I put Greg + Arrick inside, so yall can share a bed or someone can take the floor unless you want to camp. After I get a final number I can let y'all know how much ya owe me. Prob something like $20 to camp, $40 for inside.

Feel free to text me if you have any questions 703-298-8133

Woody

Arrick Underhill

Sep 16, 2021, 10:00:55 AM9/16/21
to Natalie Felice, Timothy Conheeney, Trophy Bikes, cj arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society

Zachary Rachell

Sep 16, 2021, 10:02:04 AM9/16/21
to Arrick Underhill, Natalie Felice, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society, Timothy Conheeney, Trophy Bikes, cj arayata
Shmem and I are still in for inside!

Tim Burke

Sep 16, 2021, 11:19:47 AM9/16/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey all,
I'm pretty sure I am down for this ride. I would just be riding to the shore and then coming back to Philly. I am currently trying to figure out a backup plan in case I'm not up to riding the additional 50 miles to Atlantic City to catch a train.

What time would this ride rollout and I assume we'd meet at the trellis?

Thanks and looking forward to seeing everyone!

Gary Wilpizeski

Sep 16, 2021, 11:23:29 AM9/16/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
There's a bus that goes up to AC from Cape May that runs every couple hours that you can store your bike on should you (or anyone) not be up to the ride up the coast

Jason Crouch

Sep 16, 2021, 11:34:21 AM9/16/21
to Natalie Felice, Timothy Conheeney, Trophy Bikes, cj arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey!
I'm down for the ride...and for what sounds perilously close to glamping. I'll bring my tent for the occupation of 28 sq ft of prime yard space. Please add me to the list!

Jason

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 9:52 AM Natalie Felice <nfe...@udel.edu> wrote:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/philly-dyno/CAEZ%2B4Ft51OigxPk9j%3D4kuMRraWjU_BJAbYQqB9CShgH6t4YL9w%40mail.gmail.com.

Natalie Felice

Sep 16, 2021, 11:59:53 AM9/16/21
to Jason Crouch, Timothy Conheeney, Trophy Bikes, cj arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Meet up is 7pm usually at Independence hall, or La Colombe Independence so everyone can get some caffeine before we start - but I'll have CJ verify that time/place.

Adam Bowen

Sep 16, 2021, 3:27:36 PM9/16/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on coming out for the ride! Most likely, I'll be headed back up to AC and not staying in Cape May. Very excited!

Greg Biché

Sep 16, 2021, 5:59:25 PM9/16/21
to Natalie Felice, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society, Timothy Conheeney, Trophy Bikes, cj arayata
ok great! i’ll sleep on the floor, ill sleep in a bed, its all good. is there a sofa, maybe?
 Arrick should we do rock paper scissors?

aw you guys im so excited! only one week left

--

Gregory Biché
he/him

Jake Kenney

Sep 16, 2021, 6:02:36 PM9/16/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Emily and I are planning on attending and will be taking the ferry over to Delaware. Sorry if I missed this but is there a cue sheet for the route?

devin green

Sep 16, 2021, 8:54:11 PM9/16/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi! I’m about 75% sure I will join yall next week for the ride. Could I get in on the camping Sat night if there’s still room?? My tent has a small footprint. I was gonna take the ferry and stay with family in DE but sticking with the group would be fun!

hearts and hubs,
devin

CJ Arayata

Sep 16, 2021, 11:58:17 PM9/16/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi all,

Just wanted to say I'm very excited about all of the first-timers (and the returning veterans) for the 6th Annual Cape May Dyno!

I'm in the middle of drafting a more comprehensive email to the group, but I wanted to get some of the easy stuff out of the way first:

We are starting at the Liberty Bell this year. Meet 6:30PM, Depart 7PM on Friday, September 24th.

ROUTES:

  • Outbound to Cape May (99 mi, 1,600 ft elevation): The route to Cape May features 24 hour Wawas every 20-30 miles (and sometimes even less). Most, if not all, of these Wawas have bathrooms.
  • Inbound to AC (46 mi, 200 ft elevation):  The route to AC also features Wawas, but these are generally in small shore towns and most open at 6AM. Some have bathrooms and some do not.
  • No fancy prepared cue sheet this year but please, if you can, print out the RWGPS cue and shove it in your map case, and while you're at it, strap a headlamp to your helmet so you can read it at night. You *do* have a map case and a headlamp, don't you?
AC Train logistics: Yes, we should be able to just show up with a mask and $10.75 and get a ticket. I have it on my list to call NJ Transit just in case to make sure they can potentially accommodate a bunch of bikes.

More soon,
CJ

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/philly-dyno/AB9EC430-2484-4FE1-BF57-6D61E92F0DF0%40gmail.com.

Michael E Reali Jr

Sep 17, 2021, 9:25:41 AM9/17/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi all. I'm super stoked to join my first Cape May Dyno next week! I realize I'm a little late to the game here so let me know if camping space at this airbnb is all filled up yet. Otherwise I'd be interested in camping with yous there too. Thanks for organizing. Can't wait!

Josh Armstrong

Sep 17, 2021, 9:29:18 AM9/17/21
to Michael E Reali Jr, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Thanks Woody and CJ and others for all the planning, too! Looking forward to my first Cape May Dyno (well, battery-powered lights) Ride! I'm planning on just going straight through to AC, no camping or Airbnb for me.

Josh

Nick Calcagni

Sep 17, 2021, 12:46:54 PM9/17/21
to Josh Armstrong, Michael E Reali Jr, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Seems like such a large group.  Sad to be missing this ride again this year but I hope its smooth and fun for you all. Best wishes!

-Nick

CJ Arayata

Sep 17, 2021, 6:38:41 PM9/17/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi all,

Appreciate the level of STOKE and ENTHUSIASM for the 6th(!!) Annual CAPE. MAY. DYNO.

Here's that email I was talking about. Shoutout to Nick and Woody for helping me craft it and for Nick letting me use his RWGPS Premium account to update the route. Apologies in advance for the huge info dump. And please feel free to keep the email discussion going too with any thoughts or questions!

OVERVIEW:
  • Cape May Dyno is an unsanctioned, unsupported, ride-at-your-own-risk overnight bicycle adventure from Philadelphia, to Cape May, NJ. The route is very flat and there are plenty of rest stops. Most riders tend to clump together in a group, but you should ride the pace that suits you. The general idea is that we arrive in Cape May in time to watch the sunrise at 6:50AM on Saturday morning. After arriving in Cape May, riders can choose to stay in Cape May to enjoy the beach or press on to Atlantic City where a train will whisk you back to Philadelphia in 90 minutes.
START: LIBERTY BELL. MEET 6:30PM, DEPART 7PM on Friday, September 24th, 2021.
  • For future reference, CAPE MAY DYNO will occur every year on the last Friday in September, rain or shine, departing at 7PM from the Liberty Bell from now until no one shows up.
FINISH: CAPE MAY, NJ (slash, Atlantic City, NJ)

TRAVEL LOGISTICS:
After arriving in Cape May, riders can choose from a variety of travel options:
  • Train: The Atlantic City Rail Line will get you from AC back to 30th St. Station in 90 minutes. You just need to uh, ride your bike 45 miles to get to Atlantic City. The train costs $10.75. Schedule can be found here.
  • Bus: NJ Bus 552 runs between Cape May and AC. Bus 551 runs between AC and PHL. There are also local buses that run from Cape May to Philadelphia, but these generally take MUCH longer. Please research your own options for timing, fares, bike accessibility, etc.
  •  Ferry: Don’t want to go home? The Cape May-Lewes Ferry is ready to take you away on a 90 minute ride to the magical state of Delaware, where you can check out Cape Henlopen State Park, splish splash at Rehoboth Beach, and buy anything your heart desires with 0% sales tax.
ROUTES:
 Outbound to Cape May (99 mi, 1,600 ft elevation). The route to Cape May features 24 hour Wawas every 20-30 miles (and sometimes even less). Most, if not all, of these Wawas have bathrooms.
Inbound to AC (46 mi, 200 ft elevation). The route to AC also features Wawas, but these are generally in small shore towns and most open at 6AM. Some have bathrooms and some do not.

RIDER EXPECTATIONS:
  • This is an UNSANCTIONED and UNSUPPORTED overnight ride.
  • DYNAMO LIGHTING (or VERY strong battery lighting, with backups / spare batteries / chargers / etc. that will last 12 hours) is REQUIRED for this ride. Front and rear lights should be operated on STEADY mode, not blinking, at all times. Reflective vests, ankle bands, and any other kind of reflective or high-visibility gear is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED.
Every rider is responsible for themselves. This means that:
  • Each rider is expected to have the routes downloaded onto their phone via the RWGPS app or a dedicated cycling GPS unit and be able to NAVIGATE the routes on their own.
  • Each rider is expected to carry spare tubes, tools, etc. to deal with any MECHANICAL issues they may experience during the ride.
  • If a rider is unable to complete the ride to Cape May, it is the sole responsibility of that rider to figure out how to get themselves back to Philadelphia or wherever. It's never a bad idea to have a bail out plan. For example, you could have a friend on call who will have their phone on loud overnight and would be willing to drive to Jersey to pick you up at 3AM.
TIPS, TRICKS, HELPFUL HINTS:

If you have not yet tackled longer rides and/or overnight rides, the Randonneurs USA handbook is an excellent resource on a variety of relevant topics, such as training, bike fit, nutrition, and mental fitness. Here are some chapters that may interest you as you prep and pack for CMD:
  • Night riding
  • What to pack:  If you are planning on hanging at the beach or staying at an Airbnb, you will want to pack swim stuff, regular clothes and shoes, towel, toiletries, phone charger, etc.
Once you get all of your stuff together and your bike packed and set up, go for a shakedown ride! Are your bags strapped on tight? Is your headlight beam pointed at a good angle when it is pitch black outside? Can you access items you might need while riding quickly and easily? Can you do this while riding in the dark? Is your cue sheet readable at night? Will your phone or GPS last 12+ hours?

Hopefully you know how your body will react to an all-nighter. Please come to the ride well-rested. If not, there is plenty of caffeine and camaraderie available to get you through the night. I recommend brushing up on your dad-jokes and tall tales for entertainment during the wee hours.

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS:

For those who have never joined us for a previous Cape May Dyno, YOU WILL HAVE A GOOD TIME. The company is good, the route is flat, and there are Wawas every few hours to keep you chugging along.

Best,
CJ

Greg Biché

Sep 17, 2021, 7:58:19 PM9/17/21
to CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
damn thank you cj! thorough as always.

Andrea Mules

Sep 20, 2021, 9:28:32 AM9/20/21
to Greg Biché, CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey all! Just wanted to toss in a suggestion for any newbie riding this year. Bring a warm layer like a hoodie or flannel or warmer long sleeve that a tshirt to put on at like 2am/3am cause even though it's going to probably be humid the lows are looking to be in the low to mid 50s and when you are tired you'd be surprised how that may make you shiver!

Have so much fun - I'm trying to figure out if I can make it to the start with Gary to cheer y'all on at the departure

xoxo
Andrea

Andrea Mules

CJ Arayata

Sep 20, 2021, 11:00:48 AM9/20/21
to Andrea Mules, Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Ah yeah, excellent tip @Andrea Mules !!

Also, just want to wish a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the Cape May poster child, @Greg Biché
IMG_20210918_223023_282.jpg

Natalie Felice

Sep 20, 2021, 11:51:28 AM9/20/21
to CJ Arayata, Andrea Mules, Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Shameless plug but if anyone needs reflective vests and ankle bands etc. we have some at Keystone that are pretty affordable. Please please please show up on Friday with hi-vis/reflective gear because I want you all to be safe. <3

Trophy Bikes

Sep 20, 2021, 1:31:35 PM9/20/21
to Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Greetings…on the very first Dyno, found out that almost all the under-bus luggage area on the NJT bus from Cape May to AC was useless for bikes, blocked by restroom plumbing and other mechanicals… could fit just two bikes per bus, which sucked… has anyone got any more recent info, AND/OR tried to bring bike inside the bus (with wheels removed or some such, even?)…

- mcget

Greg Biché

Sep 20, 2021, 1:56:30 PM9/20/21
to Trophy Bikes, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
mcget and andrea make good points! heed their words well. bring a warm layer, maybe even a pair of gloves if your digits tend to get cold. and don't plan to take the bus. woof.

also thank u cj for the birthday wishes!

Gregory Biché
he/him

Andrea Mules

Sep 20, 2021, 2:03:30 PM9/20/21
to Greg Biché, Trophy Bikes, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
In 2018 on Cape May Dyno I took the bus from Cape May to AC, just a single speed with a saddle bag, and had no problem with it under the bus in the luggage carrier. Obvi YMMV

Andrea

Timothy Conheeney

CJ Arayata

Sep 22, 2021, 10:35:58 PM9/22/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi all,

I've prepared print-friendly cue sheets for you. Please note that I do NOT guarantee the accuracy of said cue sheets (which are based off the RWGPS routes), and thus I take no responsibility if you get lost using them, etc etc. But anyways. They'll get you there, hopefully.

They should already be set up in Landscape page layout. You can go to File -> Print -> Print on Both Sides (Flip on SHORT Edge). Then, cut them out. You should end up with pieces of paper that are approximately 5" in height and 9" wide. I sized them to fit comfortably in a Swift Medium handlebar bag mapcase, but will probably fit most other bags too. If you have a weird size map case, then measure it and tweak the fonts, widths, etc. until you land on a cue sheet that works for you.

Pro tip: If it is humid/raining/etc, your cue sheet may saturate and potentially disintegrate, even in a map case. Moisture can get in through unsealed seams and such. In order to avoid this, you can put your cue sheet inside a gallon bag and then into your map case. While this does make it annoying to flip and keep updated, this will better guarantee its integrity. While on the topic, plastic bags are never a bad idea to have to keep other things dry, such as your feet, your phone, clothes....

Best,
CJ

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/philly-dyno/CAG2KDsCeR_kS4rq%2BuCX2%3Diu_ZxJPn0FebjT-pgTwbURQa4q2yw%40mail.gmail.com.
2021_0922_CMD_cuesheet.xlsx

CJ Arayata

Sep 23, 2021, 11:22:21 PM9/23/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society, Chris Nadovich
Hi all,

95% of you won't care about this, but I wanted to share this link. https://parando.org/route/id/37527499.

Thanks to the hard work of a certain curmudgeonly (and extremely dedicated) PA Randonneur, I was able to generate a "PA-style" cuesheet automagically. You can download and print them by scrolling to the bottom of the page. For the randos in the house, this is a fun proof of concept if we ever submit the route for approval and run it as an overnight populaire out of Keystone...

Best,
CJ

Josh Armstrong

Sep 24, 2021, 11:42:41 AM9/24/21
to CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society, Chris Nadovich
Thanks Chris, that's really cool!

However, can we really trust the output of a program that "is distributed ... but without any ... fitness" if we're going to be riding bikes all night? (this is dad joke practice)

See you all tonight!

Natalie Felice

Sep 24, 2021, 2:02:07 PM9/24/21
to Josh Armstrong, CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society, Chris Nadovich
I just called the Wawa at 6th & Chestnut and it sounds like their bathrooms are open again, so assuming they didn't lie to me there should be bathroom access at the start.

For folks staying with me: sorry for not following up earlier. We're all set for the Airbnb, you can pay me with cash or venmo (@nfelice) - $20 for camping, $40 for inside. The plan is to chill at the beach and rest and eat and stuff until Saturday afternoon when we can get in, so be prepared to hang in Cape May.

See y'all in a few hours,
Woody

CJ Arayata

Sep 27, 2021, 7:31:12 PM9/27/21
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey y'all!

First, THANKS SO MUCH to all of you that came out for a super-successful and very fun Cape May Dyno. And shout out to those that did not make it to the start or had to abandon mid-ride; we look forward to having you next year. There were lots of new faces and first-timers, and I am very happy to have met you all and gotten to share some miles with you.

I wanted to put up a shared photo album where people can dump their pictures (if they feel so inclined). At the very least, I am going to put my own photos in there as I go through and post-process them. I only posted a handful so far but it's on my photo list to go through the remainder in the next few days. Album is HERE.

As for my own personal ride, after making it down to the beach and then hanging around to watch the sunrise, I rode back up to the train with Gary and Bree. We left the Cape May Wawa around 8:30AM and slogged into the headwind trying to keep 13mph for pretty much 3.5 hours straight with no stops, knowing it would be a make or break by mere minutes. Thankfully, we rolled into the train station at 11:55AM for a 12:02PM train (where Josh was patiently waiting) and I made it back to Fairmount by 2PM. It was nice to have a relaxing rest of the day and Sunday morning to myself before having to pick up Woody, Zack, Shmem, and Greg K. on Sunday afternoon! Thanks NJ Transit. ::sarcasm::

Please feel free to post your own ride reports, etc. Also wanted to float to the group that anyone who has comments, suggestions, feedback, etc. about the ride, please also feel free to reply to the group or to me privately.

Until the next ride,
CJ

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 2:32 PM Chris Nadovich <par...@nadovich.com> wrote:
The program may have no fitness, but you certainly better have fitness
yourselves if you plan on riding your bikes that far. So you'll need
to get that fitness from somewhere else.

> >> inside a gallon bag *and then* into your map case. While this does make

> >> --
> > email to philly-dyno...@googlegroups.com.

Greg Biché

Sep 27, 2021, 8:00:29 PM9/27/21
to CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Yes! thank you CJ for making the album; I didn't take many pics so i can't wait to see what the more photographically-inclined among us have to show for it.

what a special ride this is. its something I look forward to every year, and this iteration definitely surpassed my hopes and expectations.
Where to begin? The huge turnout (I counted 30 people?) felt inspiring, given the ride's humble beginnings six years ago.

The ride itself seemed to flash by in no time. Honestly, ten hours on a bike might sound like a real arduous slog through the dungeon of tears and if I was riding it solo, it certainly would be. But to be accompanied by friends old and new made the miles pass by so easily. Shoutout to Nick, Lulin, and Yolanda: my comrades in being Dead Fucking Last!! The Caboose! Le Lanterne Rouge! I wouldn't have it any other way.
Also special shoutout to The Atlantic Ocean for being there for me to scramble into at like 5AM, delirious from lack of sleep and legs heavy from spinning. that felt so good and it felt even better the next day. shoutout to Woody for setting up the house rental, and NO SHOUTOUT TO NJTRANSIT AT ALL for having POOR communication of their train service interruptions... what a joke. whatever, we made the best of it and got some boardwalk junk food waiting for friends with cars to bail us out.
CJ, You deserve a medal, a trophy, a prize, an honorary something of your choice for interrupting your sunday relaxation to come bail out your stranded friends.

This really is a special event and I'm going to ride it until I can't anymore.

love you all,
-greg

Gregory Biché
he/him

CJ Arayata

Sep 27, 2021, 9:30:45 PM9/27/21
to Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I will accept being hoisted onto people's shoulders and paraded around the boardwalk :). Maybe next year. I also can't wait for diners to become a thing again.

I also love that the album sorts by time of day taken, so you can see what all the different groups were up to around the same time. Gary is wanting to die while Greggy boi is slammin' brewskis living the dream.

Yolanda Gomez Galvez

Sep 28, 2021, 11:30:55 PM9/28/21
to CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hi all,

CJ, thanks to you for organizing SO WELL this amazing ride and for the photo album! There are some great pictures in there! I really appreciate that someone can do all of this hard work in an altruistic way. Certainly inspiring! Personally, I feel very grateful for the weekend. I arrived to the country a few months ago and I couldn't ask for a better welcome from the bike community.

Special thanks to Greg and Nick for their patience and support. I wish I could have half of their positivism to cheer people up! They were absolutely fantastic and it was very fun and enjoyable to bike with them.

Huge thanks to Woody for organizing the Airbnb (let me know if we need to readjust the money for the house), and also Shmem, Zack and Greg(s) for adopting us and taking us to Atlantic city. The day in the beach was very cool and I learned a lot about them and the life in the US! 💜💜

I can't wait for the next Cape May Dyno ride, and I hope I can meet more cool and friendly cyclists during the next couple of months. In the meantime, if someone wants to go for a ride in whatever format (around the city, during the weekend, long/short distance, with a coffee or a beer, night or daylight), please contact me (phone number: 267-844-9947; IG: @y.gomezgalvez)!! I don't know a lot of people in the city yet and it would be my pleasure to share more rides and little adventures with someone - yes, I'm begging friends! ☺️☺️

Keep riding! 🤟

Big hug,

Yolanda

Yolanda Gómez Gálvez (she/her)

L DING

Sep 29, 2021, 10:22:06 AM9/29/21
to CJ Arayata, Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Thanks CJ for putting the Album together! There are so many cool photos and videos from this trip! Can’t wait to see more as they pile in.

want to give a shout out to Nice Greg and Nick for riding with Yoli and I. Thanks for the interesting conversations and the positive attitude! You guys crack me up! Super grateful for you guys being my “Proud to be last” crew that rolled up shamelessly last and ran into the ocean!

Thanks Woody for organizing the Airbnb it made the experience a luxury! Zack for passing on all his fun facts as he was riding and Shmem for all the wise cracks! And mysterious Greg (the other greg) showing up when we all got told the Train won’t be running!

I can’t wait to hang out again with you guys again! I feel super bonded to you guys now! Can you guys adopt us?

Can’t wait for the next Dyno Cape May and opportunities to get to know this fun community. You can contact me on IG: @james23122

Till we all meet again! :)

Lulin :)