Cape May Dyno - what's the plan

Andrea Mules

Jul 26, 2018, 11:57:17 AM7/26/18
to phill...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks!

Can I be annoying and ask if there's a date for the Cape May Dyno this year yet? I'm co-leading the Womens 100 series for WBPHL (a terrible name but the rides are open to all WTF riders) so I want to get Cape May Dyno on my calendar too, and hope there isn't a overlap in dates (the Rapha 100k ride that the WBPHL group is leading a series up to doing is Sept 15th to Tabora, so in my perfect world, Cape May Dyno is Sept 22 or 29).

CJ mentioned that the DC 400K is on the 29th.

so.....tell me what the plan is, friends

thanks!
Andrea

http://betweenhereandnow.wordpress.com/
http://instagram.com/andreatotallyrules
Modern technology
Owes ecology
An apology.
~Alan M. Eddison

Greg Biché

Jul 26, 2018, 12:06:32 PM7/26/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I would like to second this request. I am currently available for any Friday-night-into-saturday or saturday-night-into-sunday in September. My preference would. be friday into saturday but its not a strong preference. Saturday night is fine too.

Part of the reason I'd like to nail down the date sooner than later is that i might want to book a campsite. Or at the very least make some kind of arrangement for a place to take a shower, store bikes, whatever, so that i (and anyone who wants to join me) can relax and enjoy the beach for a while befofe heading back to AC to catch a train.
Does anyone have a friend or coworker or relative or neighbor with a house down there? can we pay them to let us use it for a day or so?

i havent made any concrete plans yet and i would welcome any suggestions or ideas. Im so excited for the ride!! cant wait

Gary Wilpizeski

Jul 26, 2018, 12:43:07 PM7/26/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
My vote is the 29th, as the 22nd is Town Hall CX (although I don't know how many people here are racing cross, so if I'm the only one with that scheduling conflict, that's fine), but I could do either.  I'm also open to doing a Friday -> Saturday ride this year as well!

Andrea Mules

Jul 26, 2018, 12:45:17 PM7/26/18
to Gary Wilpizeski, phill...@googlegroups.com
Also by no means does the ride need to be scheduled around my schedule (which prefers 22 or 29)!

http://betweenhereandnow.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bicyclerenegade/

CJ Arayata

Jul 27, 2018, 4:21:32 PM7/27/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
My vote is either Friday, 21st into Saturday, 22nd, or Sat 22nd into Sun 23rd. I have zero preference but that weekend works best for me..... DC 300k the weekend before, and DC 400k the weekend after.

Once we decide, can someone take charge with a quick flyer? I want to push out to PA and NJ Rando, and maybe even on ::gasp:: the 'gram.

Brendan Detweiler

Jul 27, 2018, 4:46:38 PM7/27/18
to charles...@gmail.com, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
David and I are doing GAP / C&O that weekend! Have fun!

Charles Sarkioglu

Jul 28, 2018, 9:00:53 AM7/28/18
to brendan....@yahoo.com, charles...@gmail.com, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hello folks,

I look forward to the pleasure of another incredible overnight ride to the shore with you fine people.  For me, the Saturday into Sunday itinerary works best.  Given the suggested dates, Saturday 9/22 into Sunday 9/23 would be most preferable.  I could be open to a different weekend if suggested.

Be well,
~Charlie

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/philly-dyno.

Nicholas Manta

Jul 29, 2018, 10:30:36 PM7/29/18
to Charles Sarkioglu, brendan....@yahoo.com, charles...@gmail.com, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey y'all,

Ag and I can't do the weekend of the 22nd-23rd so were gonna vote for the 29-30th.  CJ are you planning on doing the DC 400k?

-Nick

Natalie Felice

Jul 29, 2018, 11:34:12 PM7/29/18
to Nicholas Manta, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
classic mantas

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/philly-dyno.

CJ Arayata

Jul 30, 2018, 4:24:30 PM7/30/18
to Nicholas Manta, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I'd like to do the DC 400 and 600 to get early registration for PBP, but I could theoretically do the 300 and jump straight to the 6. Cape May rules everything around me, plus it'll be way more fun than a 400 anyway...

I'll tally the official votes/emails before we set-set the date.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/philly-dyno.

Greg Biché

Jul 31, 2018, 3:29:20 PM7/31/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
either weekend is fine with me. like i said earlier i like Friday into Saturday but Saturday unto Sunday is fine too. i wouldnt wanna ride without my manta biys so i guess my official vote is friday the 28th

CJ Arayata

Aug 2, 2018, 11:54:29 AM8/2/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
OK, I officially decree that Cape May Dyno will be the weekend of September 28th - 30th.

Now, who has strong preferences for Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun? I am voting for Friday into Saturday, so that way when I zonk out on Saturday I still have a whole day Sunday to roll around.

As it stands:
Fri (Greg, CJ)
Sat (Charlie)
Either (Gary)

Cast your votes now!

Scott B. Ritner

Aug 2, 2018, 11:56:51 AM8/2/18
to charles...@gmail.com, phill...@googlegroups.com
I prefer Sat-Sun. I prefer to do my rolling around in advance so I don't have to think about any of it while we ride.

Scott B. Ritner

"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1863

Andrea Mules

Aug 2, 2018, 11:59:15 AM8/2/18
to sri...@gmail.com, CJ Arayata, phill...@googlegroups.com
I can do either - if it's Friday I just need to know sooner rather than later so I can take off work to sleep all day so I don't cry outside of Wawa at 4am again.
http://betweenhereandnow.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bicyclerenegade/
http://instagram.com/andreatotallyrules

Gary Wilpizeski

Ross Evans / Brewerytown Bicycles

Aug 2, 2018, 12:39:05 PM8/2/18
to Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I have off Friday/Saturday so that’s my vote

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:59 AM Gary Wilpizeski <gary.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

---
Ross Evans

Brewerytown Bicycles | 2819 w. Girard Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19130 | 215.235.1454

Web
| Instagram | Facebook

Brendan Detweiler

Aug 2, 2018, 12:50:08 PM8/2/18
to ro...@fairmountbicycles.com, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Sat-Sun is my vote. We can still hit up velo fest Saturday morning

Natalie Felice

Aug 2, 2018, 1:19:04 PM8/2/18
to brendan....@yahoo.com, ro...@fairmountbicycles.com, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I vote fri-sat!

Jake Kenney

Aug 2, 2018, 2:29:21 PM8/2/18
to Natalie Felice, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society, brendan....@yahoo.com, ro...@fairmountbicycles.com
Fri-Sat! Will prolly be taking the cape may lewes ferry to see my parents in Rehoboth. Can’t guarantee a ride back from there but it’s a place to stay for a night or two.
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Jake Kenney

Aug 2, 2018, 2:30:03 PM8/2/18
to Natalie Felice, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society, brendan....@yahoo.com, ro...@fairmountbicycles.com
Also great beach front camping at cape henlopen in lewes

CJ Arayata

Aug 2, 2018, 6:17:24 PM8/2/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Friday evening Grand Départ votes:
Greg
CJ
Ross
Woody
Jake (+ Emily?)

Saturday evening Grand Départ votes:
Charlie
Scott Ritner
Gary
Brendan D.

Looks preeeetty close! I will now defer to the Cape May anciens to make the final call.

I hereby call the following Society members to the stand ::ahem hem::

MANTA, ALEXANDER
MANTA, NICHOLAS
MULES, ANDREA
RACHELL, ZACHARY
STANIS, RYAN

I also want to clarify that there are some people who could do both days but prefer one or the other, vs. people who can only do one of the days due to work or other obligations.

Greg Biché

Aug 2, 2018, 6:20:49 PM8/2/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I fall into the category of "has no problem with saturday départ but prefers friday"

and also

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 2:30:03 PM UTC-4, Jake Kenney wrote:
Also great beach front camping at cape henlopen in lewes

You have my attention! that sounds really nice. is the ferry expensive? To get back to philly i would most likely ferry back to NJ and ride to Atlantic City. unless of course there's a better way

Andrea Mules

Aug 2, 2018, 6:46:45 PM8/2/18
to CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
My official vote is Saturday

Emily Dodson

Aug 2, 2018, 8:45:45 PM8/2/18
to Andrea Mules, CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Friday into Saturday!

Jake Kenney

Aug 2, 2018, 8:48:28 PM8/2/18
to Emily Dodson, Andrea Mules, CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Ferry is ~$10 each way if booked ahead. Dunno if it changes if you get tickets there.
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Nick Calcagni

Aug 2, 2018, 9:07:57 PM8/2/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Friday - no sleep before ride, get to sleep all day Sunday

Saturday - get to sleep all day before ride, no sleep after ride

Tough call.

-Nick

Ag Manta

Aug 3, 2018, 12:59:05 PM8/3/18
to Nick Calcagni, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I don't care too much either way. If I had to vote I'd say Saturday into Sunday cause if my days off but I rally could go either way. Maybe just make it a weekend long loop.

Ag

David Karpay

Aug 3, 2018, 4:36:03 PM8/3/18
to Ag Manta, Nick Calcagni, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Saturday

Friday into Saturday!

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/philly-dyno.

Nicholas Manta

Aug 3, 2018, 7:55:41 PM8/3/18
to Jake Kenney, Emily Dodson, Andrea Mules, CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Y’all

I have really bad news. Unfortunately, NJ transit is going to shut down the Atlantic City line for 5 months starting September 5 because of personnel and equipment shortages.

This throws a bit of a wrench in our plans.

Any ideas? Thoughts? I’m dreaming of a North East transit riders union.

Greg Biché

Aug 3, 2018, 8:31:00 PM8/3/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
fuck.
thanks for that very important news, nick.

well, it's hard not to launch into a lament about how our capitalist hellscape continues to mock social projects like public transit while letting them languish and fail. that sucks.

All i have to say is: I want to declare this the IVth annual iteration of the cape may dyno to be dedicated to the workers of public transportation everywhere. train conductors, bus drivers, ticket-punchers, mechanics, and everyone except for transit police. if u dont like it u can fight my anarchist ass.

Let's develop a new plan! I'm down to ride all the way back to philly if we can find somewhere to camp and rest for a night in between. i think we have enough time to come up with a plan that suits everyone

Jake Kenney

Aug 3, 2018, 8:37:58 PM8/3/18
to Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I support an out and back weekend adventure. Ride all night, sleep all day, ride all night.

CJ Arayata

Aug 3, 2018, 8:52:53 PM8/3/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Round trip.

Controle 1: Philadelphia
Controle 2: Cape May
Controle 3: Atlantic City
Controle 4: Philadelphia

Am I kidding or not? Stay tuned.

THANK YOU to Nick for the crucial heads up.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society" group.

Scott B. Ritner

Aug 3, 2018, 10:03:51 PM8/3/18
to CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I'm into it. Bringing my union card... How many red and black bikes can we collect before the end of September?

Ryan Stanis

Aug 6, 2018, 7:55:26 AM8/6/18
to Scott B. Ritner, CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Well crap, thanks Nick for being up
To date on all things train related. I think this earns you 45 extra points in ticket to ride, putting you in a solid lead for the win.

No thanks to Fucker for diverting funds to more lucrative ventures and lining their pockets all the while making it harder for the worker to make a living.

You know I’ll be going into this ride sleep deprived to begin with, so why not  ride back? NJ ditch naps and Wawa coffee should get us through. 😜🤪🙃😴

CJ Arayata

Aug 10, 2018, 9:24:21 AM8/10/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Given the lack of train transport, I think at the very least we will need to nail down the start to **Friday, the 28th**. That way, there is maximum flexibility for people who want to ride back, and for those that want to camp/sleep/whatever before making the return trip, there is a bit more time built in to the weekend.

There's still a chance we could look into buses or whatever alternate transportation (McGet renting a charter bus??).

Any major objections to the Friday start?

Greg Biché

Aug 15, 2018, 12:18:45 PM8/15/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
as a potential alternative to campibg, do you guys think we could rent a house for the weekend? or airb+b? i dont know much about what the prices are like but i bet we could do it for cheep if its split between enuf people

Gary Wilpizeski

Aug 15, 2018, 12:29:32 PM8/15/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I like this idea.  Ride Friday Night -> Saturday, get to house/campground/whatever, beach/lounge all day -> ride home Sunday morning.  Sounds prettttaaay nice

CJ Arayata

Aug 15, 2018, 1:16:15 PM8/15/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Wow, this sounds wayyy better than a 200+mi ride in one shot, as much as I like ridiculously long brevet distances. Makes it way more accessible too!

I don't see anything in Cape May but I do see some full houses in Wildwood for about $400. Between 10 people, $40 a person?

Gary Wilpizeski

Aug 15, 2018, 1:21:03 PM8/15/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
That's pretty reasonable, and I'm sure we could put together a nice route back from Wildwood for Sunday.  Maybe even somewhere a bit further north like Sea Isle or something?

Jake Kenney

Andrea Mules

Aug 15, 2018, 2:48:45 PM8/15/18
to jakek...@gmail.com, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I'm down with the plan of staying over somewhere before riding back on Sunday.
http://betweenhereandnow.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bicyclerenegade/
http://instagram.com/andreatotallyrules
Modern technology
Owes ecology
An apology.
~Alan M. Eddison

Scott B. Ritner

Aug 15, 2018, 2:59:47 PM8/15/18
to andrea...@gmail.com, jakek...@gmail.com, gary.wi...@gmail.com, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I am also down with that plan.

Greg Biché

Aug 15, 2018, 3:04:34 PM8/15/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
for the record i am still more inclined towards camping but i havent yet really researched the campgroudn options. if they all cost as much per person as renting a house you know im gonna choose the house. i got nothing to prove

Emily Dodson

Aug 15, 2018, 3:11:26 PM8/15/18
to Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
same, got nothing to prove

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 3:04 PM, Greg Biché <gbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
for the record i am still more inclined towards camping but i havent yet really researched the campgroudn options. if they all cost as much per person as renting a house you know im gonna choose the house. i got nothing to prove

Ryan Stanis

Aug 17, 2018, 3:45:40 PM8/17/18
to Emily Dodson, Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Ferry ticket sounds way more affordable and fun than a $400 rental. I love any ride involving a ferry. Down for this. I’ll start work on a proper flyer for this Monday (ish) when I’m done house sitting.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 3:11 PM Emily Dodson <emilyh...@gmail.com> wrote:
same, got nothing to prove
On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 3:04 PM, Greg Biché <gbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
for the record i am still more inclined towards camping but i havent yet really researched the campgroudn options. if they all cost as much per person as renting a house you know im gonna choose the house. i got nothing to prove

CJ Arayata

Aug 24, 2018, 2:44:56 PM8/24/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Ahemhemhemmmmm

I've been talking to Jake re: incorporating Delaware into the master plan. Here is said master plan:

Friday evening into Saturday:
  • 6:30PM meet at La Colombe. Ride until we get to Cape May. Frolic in the sand and take #epic sunrise pictures for the #gram. Wait for the ferry.

Saturday:
  • Take an early morning ferry to Lewes Beach (first two are 7AM and 8:30AM). Camping available at Cape Henelopen, tent sites are $45 a night for 4 people. Set up camp, etc.
  • Those who do not want to camp may be able to stay at Jake's parents' place in nearby Rehoboth Beach. 5 spots available. RSVP to jakek...@gmail.com.
  • Once we've set up for the day and have taken showers, napped, relaxed a bit, etc. we can meet back up and hang on the beach, boardwalk mini golf, eat food, whatever.

Sunday:
  • Take an early morning ferry (first is 8:45AM) back to Cape May. Ride back to Philadelphia.

For outbound route, I want to repeat the same way we did last year: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25228979?beta=false
For return trip, we could either reverse the new route, or reverse the "classic" route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16094384?beta=false
I'm up for either.

Ryan is working diligently on a flyer.

Action points:
  • Let me know what ferry time sounds better, 7AM or 8:30AM. Historically, we've gotten to Cape May in plenty of time for 7AM, but we'd still need to get to the actual station and all. Once decided, everyone needs to book their own ferry trip.
  • Camp crew is responsible for booking your own site and sorting out money among yourselves; I suspect you'll need at least two sites depending on how many people go.
Anything else I am forgetting?

CJ Arayata

Aug 24, 2018, 2:46:15 PM8/24/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society

Scott B. Ritner

Aug 24, 2018, 2:57:03 PM8/24/18
to CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
If anyone is interested in going another 36-37 miles from Lewes down to Bethany Beach, DE, I can see if my Aunt and Uncle would have room for a few more non-campers as well. If folks are interested, I'll ask, if not, I'm more than happy to share a campsite with 3 of yous.

Charles Sarkioglu

Aug 24, 2018, 3:13:55 PM8/24/18
to Scott B. Ritner, CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Being a hopeful member of non-camper crowd, I would be up for extra milage if it means  not camping.

Charlie

Andrea Mules

Aug 27, 2018, 11:23:10 AM8/27/18
to crs...@gmail.com, Scott Ritner, CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Gary and I are down for camping. Who else? Once we get a tally for campers, we can figure out how many sites to reserve.

Greg Biché

Aug 27, 2018, 11:25:01 AM8/27/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
im on board for cramping

Gary Wilpizeski

Aug 27, 2018, 11:28:42 AM8/27/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
So after looking up reservations online, Cape Henlopen is booked up that weekend, but 8mi south of there is Delaware Seashore State Park, at which there are plenty of sites available, and its still right next to the beach.  More info here

So here's the deal w/ this place:
Tent sites are $35 each, up to 8 people per site, but you can only reserve a minimum of 2 nights, so we'd have to do Friday night -> Saturday so the site is reserved and we can roll in whenever.  Check in is 1PM and check out is 12PM.

Lets try to get a final headcount for camping by end of this week and I'll set up the reservation.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 2:46 PM CJ Arayata <charles...@gmail.com> wrote:

Scott B. Ritner

"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1863

James Hultquist-Todd

Aug 27, 2018, 11:33:00 AM8/27/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I’d be happy with camping.

Alexander Manta

Aug 27, 2018, 11:48:00 AM8/27/18
to andrea...@gmail.com, crs...@gmail.com, sri...@gmail.com, CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I'm down to camp

Greg Biché

Aug 27, 2018, 11:49:05 AM8/27/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
thanks gary for looking that up. and thanks CJ and everyone else who's been posting here for keeping the momentum going on organizing. ive been distracted but i still really want to do this ride.
Im excited about camping-count me in.

Jake Kenney

Aug 27, 2018, 3:29:37 PM8/27/18
to Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Heads up with the camping - if they work like other Delaware parks, you can reserve a single night but only within 2 weeks of the date.  Could save some dollars but risk not getting a site.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 11:49 AM Greg Biché <gbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
thanks gary for looking that up. and thanks CJ and everyone else who's been posting here for keeping the momentum going on organizing. ive been distracted but i still really want to do this ride.
Im excited about camping-count me in.

-jbk

Ryan Stanis

Aug 28, 2018, 8:45:26 PM8/28/18
to Jake Kenney, Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Down to camp, Felix is too!

Scott B. Ritner

Aug 28, 2018, 8:57:47 PM8/28/18
to Ryan Stanis, Jake Kenney, gbi...@gmail.com, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Charlie and I are also both down to camp.

Gary Wilpizeski

Sep 4, 2018, 10:12:57 AM9/4/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Ok so-
Looks like the headcount is:
Me + Andrea
James
Ag
Greg (+1?)
Ryan + Felix
Sean + Charlie

That's (potentially) 10 people so far, so we'd have to spread out over 2 sites.

Is anyone else interested that hasn't mentioned it yet?

Right now this works out to $140 ($35/night x 2 nights x 2 spots), so $14/person (unless we get more people that want to camp, up to 16 (8/site))

Now a couple questions for everyone.  Jake mentioned that as it gets closer, we might only have to reserve one night rather than two, which would bring the cost down.  As of right now, there's 21 tent sites available for both of those days, which doesn't look like much less than there was when last I looked. Do we:
A) Wait for the cheaper option ($70 total, $7/person) and possibly risk not being able to reserve a spot or
B) Book now and lock in the spots at $14/person

Let me know and I'd be glad to make the reservation!

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 8:57:47 PM UTC-4, sritner wrote:
Charlie and I are also both down to camp.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 8:45 PM Ryan Stanis <ryans...@gmail.com> wrote:
Down to camp, Felix is too!
On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 3:29 PM Jake Kenney <jakek...@gmail.com> wrote:
Heads up with the camping - if they work like other Delaware parks, you can reserve a single night but only within 2 weeks of the date.  Could save some dollars but risk not getting a site.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 11:49 AM Greg Biché <gbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
thanks gary for looking that up. and thanks CJ and everyone else who's been posting here for keeping the momentum going on organizing. ive been distracted but i still really want to do this ride.
Im excited about camping-count me in.

-jbk

Ross Evans / Brewerytown Bicycles

Sep 4, 2018, 10:29:02 AM9/4/18
to Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I’m in too, that sounds pretty good to me.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/philly-dyno.

-jbk

Scott B. Ritner

"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1863

---
Ross Evans

Brewerytown Bicycles | 2819 w. Girard Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19130 | 215.235.1454

Web
| Instagram | Facebook

Kid Coleco

Sep 4, 2018, 12:30:55 PM9/4/18
to Ross Evans / Brewerytown Bicycles, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey guys, this is my first ride and I don’t plan on camping. Who should I get in contact with to make other sleeping arrangements.

Thanks.
Brian

Sent from my iPad

Alexander Manta

Sep 4, 2018, 6:31:38 PM9/4/18
to bcr...@gmail.com, ro...@fairmountbicycles.com, gary.wi...@gmail.com, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I'm down to play it safe and book now, but I thiinnnk Nick is planning on camping too. Also it might be a good idea to figure out a tent/supplies sharing list so we all don't end up carrying a bunch of stuff when we don't have to.

Scott B. Ritner

Sep 4, 2018, 6:54:50 PM9/4/18
to agm...@gmail.com, bcr...@gmail.com, ro...@fairmountbicycles.com, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I definitely agree on the idea of a little google doc to lighten everyone's load a little bit.

Maggie Min

Sep 4, 2018, 8:29:51 PM9/4/18
to sri...@gmail.com, agm...@gmail.com, bcr...@gmail.com, ro...@fairmountbicycles.com, gary.wi...@gmail.com, phill...@googlegroups.com
I am such a voyeur. I love watching this unfold even though I wont be able to participate. You guys have so much fun!!!!!

Greg Biché

Sep 4, 2018, 9:17:43 PM9/4/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
OK! I feel like i need to regularly thank everyone for keeping the momentum going on this, helping make decisions and stuff. Thank you!
Here's what information I have to offer:

I will have no plus one on this trip; Ashley is going to a wedding. So just lil' ol' me.

I vote for booking the site now; $14 a head is fine with me, even with the ferry ticket (which according to this thread is $18 round trip). At $32 plus however much a whole tub of peanut butter costs then I can swing it. I would rather take the risk of waiting only to find that all the sites are booked.
Likewise, Gary, if it helps i am willing to volunteer to book [one of] the site[s] in my name and then people can pay me. let me know ASAP if that's necessary.

-----–––––—————–––––-----
So just to be sure, then, things would go something like this?

we RIDE from roughly dusk on FRIDAY to dawn on SATURDAY. check into camp, drop off our shit, then loaf it up on the beach! take a shower, sleep at camp SATURDAY night and then ride back to Philadelphia sometime on SUNDAY.
Do we know what time check-out is on sunday? would it be best to leave early to avoid the heat? i guess we don't have to decide now. just want to start thinkin' about it.
Guys I am so excited. this is gonna be awesome
-----–––––—————–––––-----

I am ready and willing to share my packing list as soon as I get my shit together.

some of the first questions i can think of:
Has anyone been to the camping area at Delaware Seashore State Park? if you have, are there trees around for a hammock? or is the camping just straight up on the sand? I would rather bring my hammock than my stuffy 1man bivy or my overkill 2man tent. but it's not a huge deal; Looks like the lows for that night will probably be in the low 60s /hi50s. maybe someone has an extra lightweight 1man tent i can borrow? maybe i can string up a hammock to a fence? maybe i can sleep under the stars.

I am more than willing to collaborate on FOOD ! let's cook together! gotta do more research about this campsite; maybe they have charcoal grills or fire pits?
I have a couple of little alcohol stoves and i can bring em all. i don't have much cookware like lightweight pots and pans but i'd love an excuse to buy some. Likewise i will carry as much food as i can because its much more fun for me to share.

Games? i think i have a deck of cards but damn i know some of yall have some good small portable games. throw that shit in yr bag

tunes? like a lil bluetooth speaker?

and finally, WOODY! can i borrow those panniers again? those grey ones. unless you need' em, in which case i will see if i can cram what i need in my small ones. If i need large ones, does anyone have a set of rear/large panniers i can borrow?

That's all i can think of for now. Aw man i am really looking forward to this!!!

-greg

Andrea Mules

Sep 4, 2018, 10:38:44 PM9/4/18
to Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
depending on the answer to the tent vs hammock question (of which I don't know the answer to) you're welcome to borrow my 1 person Hilleberg tent. I've taken it bike touring plenty. It isn't the lightest out there but it isn't obscene either. You're welcome to roll out West to take a peek at it before deciding if you want to borrow it. I believe Gary and I will be bringing our multi person tent for ourselves to camp in.

Andrea

Jake Kenney

Sep 4, 2018, 10:39:59 PM9/4/18
to Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Dang Greg, you're making me wish we were gonna camp with y'all!  Maybe we can all hang at the campground before some of us retreat to the indoors.

Google Doc will be great to organize campers and indoor sleepers.

So far I think this is indoor crü:

Me, Emily, CJ, Woody, Brian, Charlie?

There should be room for another 2-3.

For the campers, I have a light 2 person tent and plenty of other gear if anyone needs some loaner stuff.

-jbk

Scott B. Ritner

Sep 4, 2018, 10:48:05 PM9/4/18
to Jake Kenney, Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Depending on Charlie's decision about camping or not I also have a 2+ person tent to share, or a hammock of my own. I am also considering just bringing a 40 degree bag and sleeping under the stars.

Scott B. Ritner

Sep 4, 2018, 10:52:48 PM9/4/18
to Jake Kenney, Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I started a google sheet. Lemme know if it works to share it with the group, or if I have to add folks individually.

so psyched.

Natalie Felice

Sep 5, 2018, 3:14:47 PM9/5/18
to Scott B. Ritner, Jake Kenney, Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
CJ & I also have a 3-person tent (comfortably fits two, but could def squeeze 3) that we could lend out as well, so let us know.

Gary Wilpizeski

Sep 5, 2018, 3:32:42 PM9/5/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Alright, so it seems the consensus is book 2 sites for 2 nights, just in case! and the Camping Crew is:

Me + Andrea
James
Ag + Nick
Greg
Ryan + Felix
Scott (Sorry I called you Sean before by mistake!)
Ross

Am I missing anybody? Either way, we'll have room for 16, so we should be fine.

Just a note for people thinking going the hammock route - They mention pretty adamantly that there is no shade at the campsites, which leads me to believe that hammock-tree options might be hard to come by.

If this sounds kosher to everybody, I'll book both sites tonight, and I'll put out a last call at the end of the week for campers so we don't have to do any more cost-splitting maths via venmo than we have to.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/philly-dyno.

-jbk

Scott B. Ritner

"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1863

--
Scott B. Ritner

"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1863

Gary Wilpizeski

Sep 5, 2018, 3:58:54 PM9/5/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
So having a look at google maps, it appears that there isn't a single tree anywhere to hang a hammock on haha

Also there are no open fires at this campground

Alexander Manta

Charles Sarkioglu

Sep 6, 2018, 3:35:50 PM9/6/18
to agm...@gmail.com, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Please add me to the "camping" list, Gary.  I'm planning to share a test with Scott.  Thanks!

Charles Sarkioglu

Sep 6, 2018, 3:37:42 PM9/6/18
to agm...@gmail.com, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Tent*.  Whatever you whippersnappers call minimal shelters these days.

Gary Wilpizeski

Sep 6, 2018, 4:24:04 PM9/6/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Alright everybody, Reservations made!

Camping.jpg

$35/site x 2 sites x 2 nights = $140

$2/camper x 10 (well, Charlie makes 11, but shhhh) = $20

$4 reservation fee x2 reservations (2x apparently) = $16

$176/11 campers = $16 person

Gotta love a bunch of random fees.  Ugh, oh well.  Maybe if we can find a couple other people to jump on to offset a couple of the fees.

You all can either send me your $16 via venmo (@Gary-Wilpizeski), or google pay / paypal (gary.wi...@gmail.com).  Or just cash money dollars.

Some info:

Check in is at 1PM, but since we technically have the sites Friday too, they'll be empty for us so there shouldn't be a problem.  We just have to be ready to check in at around 1 on Saturday.

Here's a map with our sites highlighted:

Campmap.JPG

And here's a photo of our luxurious accommodations!

540x360.jpg

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/philly-dyno.

-jbk

Scott B. Ritner

"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1863

--
Scott B. Ritner

"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1863

Scott B. Ritner

Charles Sarkioglu

Sep 6, 2018, 5:12:13 PM9/6/18
to Scott B. Ritner, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Sweet!

David Karpay

Sep 7, 2018, 7:54:54 AM9/7/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Is it too late to join a campsite? To where do I direct funds?

Gary Wilpizeski

Sep 7, 2018, 12:11:07 PM9/7/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey David! It is not too late, you can venmo me here - @Gary-Wilpizeski

Jono Davis

Sep 7, 2018, 12:40:22 PM9/7/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Yo Gary, room for one more “one more”? I’m gonna make the trip down from CT for what sounds like the greatest dyno ever.

Let me know if there’s room and I’ll venmo ya, or I can try to reserve the next site in that row.

CJ Arayata

Sep 7, 2018, 12:43:24 PM9/7/18
to Jono Davis, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
YES YES YES

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 12:40 PM Jono Davis <jono...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yo Gary, room for one more “one more”? I’m gonna make the trip down from CT for what sounds like the greatest dyno ever.

Let me know if there’s room and I’ll venmo ya, or I can try to reserve the next site in that row.

Gary Wilpizeski

Sep 7, 2018, 12:54:24 PM9/7/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Yep. This puts us at 13 people out of 16 potential spots for about $13.50/person, so I think I owe a couple of people $2.50?

Nick Calcagni

Sep 7, 2018, 12:55:37 PM9/7/18
to Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I have a lot of reading to catch up on...

Greg Biché

Sep 12, 2018, 3:11:15 PM9/12/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
hows the best way on ridewithgps to reverse the trip?
i wanna make a cue sheet for getting home, because i get confused trying to follow directions backwards

CJ Arayata

Sep 12, 2018, 5:02:49 PM9/12/18
to Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I can reverse the routes and make cues. Greg please remind me next weekend (the 22nd) to do them and I will!

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 3:11 PM Greg Biché <gbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
hows the best way on ridewithgps to reverse the trip?
i wanna make a cue sheet for getting home, because i get confused trying to follow directions backwards

Alexander Manta

Sep 12, 2018, 8:04:27 PM9/12/18
to CJ Arayata, gbi...@gmail.com, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Is the reverse plan to do the V1 route back to Somer's Point and stop at the ol' diner?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society" group.

CJ Arayata

Sep 13, 2018, 9:42:36 AM9/13/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I think that would be fun, so it ends up being a loop course and not an out-and-back. That being said, I remember in the past few years we run into weird problems trying to ride up through all the shoretowns during the morning (like a running race closing down that one big bridge between there and OC), so I'm not sure what would be best.

Ryan Stanis

Sep 15, 2018, 4:14:45 PM9/15/18
to CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I say let’s roll the dice and take the v1 route.  Do the ol jersey loop de loop.

Scott B. Ritner

Sep 24, 2018, 12:23:55 PM9/24/18
to Ryan Stanis, CJ Arayata, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Good morning all,

I have to back out of the Dyno because of a family situation. Gary, keep my $16 as a donation to everyone else having a blast! I'll be wishing I was riding with you all.

Charlie, I can bring you any camping gear you need to the shop tomorrow or Thursday. Whichever is better for you.

Finally, if the Rando crew is doing the October 20 Fall NeoClassic 200K and are willing to let me tag along, get in touch off the list please.

I'm bummed, but sometimes this is how it goes.

-s

Gary Wilpizeski

Sep 26, 2018, 10:30:38 AM9/26/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Alright Campers - here's an update on where we're at for this weekend!

Weather's looking good so far, temps in the 70s should make for some nice beach weather.

Just called this morning to double check our reservation and that it's ok that we roll in on Saturday morning.
According to the spreadsheet, Nick, Ross, Charlie, Ryan, and Fenix still owe me for the reservation fee.  Paypal/venmo/cash is still fine, obviously.  And just to keep things fair, I've been keeping track of who paid how much so that nobody overpaid as we get more people added onto our crew.  Right now since we have 13 people, its $13.50/person, so I owe a couple of you $2.50 since you paid me a bit more when we had less people.

After a quick look, it appears that there's a Giant supermarket about 7mi south of the campground, so we can get food after we check in if you don't feel like hauling your meals the ~115mi to camp.

Regarding tents, please try to coordinate doubling/tripling up in tents as much as possible.  Technically we're only allowed two tents per site, however the person in the reservation office didn't seem too concerned that we'd have a group (although, it could be someone completely different and way more stringent on Saturday.  The weather might actually be nice enough that sleeping in open air is totally doable (having done this before, it's really enjoyable!))

Regarding gear - can we start coordinating who's bringing what? There's some info on the spreadsheet, but I don't know if anybody's talked to anybody else.

Andrea and I are bringing a jetboil stove, some cookware, and a canopy (aka a tarp and 2 tent poles).  We also have a TON of backpacking gear to loan out if anybody's needs to borrow some.

So regarding the Ferry - looks like a round trip is $18 w/ bicycle.
Here's the schedule:

ferry.jpg

Not sure what everyone's plans are for riding back to Philly, but I'd personally prefer to not be riding all day and get home super late on Sunday, so I'm aiming to take the 10:15am ferry back to Cape May at the latest.

James Hultquist-Todd

Sep 26, 2018, 11:22:03 AM9/26/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Thanks Gary, for putting this all together.

I’d rather not bring my tent as it weighs around 10lbs and is pretty big and unwieldy on a bike.

Andrea Mules

Sep 26, 2018, 12:28:14 PM9/26/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
stoked for this weekend!

Also if anyone needs a pannier or two, let me know. i have a full set of Arkel panniers and will likely only use one if any at all.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/philly-dyno.

-jbk

Scott B. Ritner

"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1863

--
Scott B. Ritner

"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1863

http://betweenhereandnow.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bicyclerenegade/
http://instagram.com/andreatotallyrules
Modern technology
Owes ecology
An apology.
~Alan M. Eddison

Greg Biché

Sep 26, 2018, 1:11:29 PM9/26/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
i haven't completely nailed down my shelter scenario; depending on the weather i might just bring a bug net or a bivy. if someone has no shelter and is OK with sharing a tent, i can bring my 2man tent and we can be tent buddies. hit me up.

i don't think i'll need to borrow anything. if i don't find what i need ill reach out ASAP .

im fine with stopping at the giant to buy food, rather than bringing it all along. that will also probably make it easier for us to buy and cook as a group.

if anyone needs to borrow anything specific, better ask soon! i know lots of people have extra gear but theres not a lot of time left

Jake Kenney

Sep 26, 2018, 1:14:41 PM9/26/18
to Greg Biché, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
I have a light 2p tent if anyone needs one.

There are also a few grocery stores less than a mile off route while passing through Rehoboth. A Fresh Market and Giant if memory serves.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Jono Davis

Sep 26, 2018, 1:16:01 PM9/26/18
to jakek...@gmail.com, gbi...@gmail.com, phill...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I need to pull a Scott and also back out of the Dyno. I'm going on a work trip to Kingdom Trails that weekend though, so don't cry for me.
Please 'gram constantly so I know exactly how bad I am missing out.

--
Jono Davis

Charles Sarkioglu

Sep 26, 2018, 1:16:57 PM9/26/18
to Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Hey folks,

First Gary, Thanks for doing the organizational legwork on the camping end.

Regretfully, I haven't any camping gear to share or contribute as I don't have any. However, Scott loaned me his 2 person REI Dome 2 tent even though he will be unable to join us.  Unfortunately, the tent is much larger, heavier, and longer when packed than what seems reasonable for one person to bring on this type of trip.

Questions:  Does anyone have room in their tent for me (6'2" 220lbs) OR does anyone need to share this tent with me & would anyone be willing to carry some of this tent?  Maybe I'll just not bring the "fly" since it doesn't look like rain anyway.  Ya'll will just have to look away when I get changed in there.

~Charlie

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/philly-dyno.

-jbk

Scott B. Ritner

"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1863

--
Scott B. Ritner

"Try to pose for yourself this task: not to think of a polar bear, and you will see that the cursed thing will come to mind every minute." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1863

Andrea Mules

Sep 26, 2018, 1:20:40 PM9/26/18
to crsark crsarki, Gary Wilpizeski, Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
Charlie - I have a 1 person tent you're welcome to borrow if you're interested! I can take some measurements of it when I get home tonight and text them to you to see if that works better. It's a roomy 1 person tent. Not really big enough for 2 folks but I've been very comfortable in it solo with my 55lb dog who stretches out when she sleeps.

Greg Biché

Sep 26, 2018, 1:26:14 PM9/26/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
hey Charlie-- i have an REI half dome 2plus which, while it isn't ultralight, is reasonable. something like 5lbs all together. u can split it with me, if you want.
i'm especially open to sharing a shelter with someone because my nicest (ie most comfortable and reliable) shelter is that rei 2man tent. but charlie, if you'd rather field options for 1man shelter i totally understand.
in that case i offer half of my tent to anyone who's interested. i don't snore TOO loud!

Greg Biché

Sep 26, 2018, 1:27:53 PM9/26/18
to Philadelphia Dynamo Headlight Society
basically i'm bringing some kind of tent as a backup, in case of bugs and/or rain. ideally im gonna sleep out in the open.
It is loading more messages.