1st Bagyo Go Tournament

benj

Jul 19, 2011, 10:38:58 PM7/19/11
to Philippine Go Association
1st Bagyo Go Tournament
August 20, 2011 1:00-5:00 PM
Unit 403 Gold Loop Tower
Escriva Drive, Ortigas

100 Php registration fee, 50 Php below 18 yrs. old
Double eliminations system
First four rounds on August 20, final rounds on August 27
20 minutes, 3x30 seconds byo-yomi (first rounds)
U600 Category for 16k and below, Main Category
Cash and book prizes

mikong

Jul 22, 2011, 12:26:30 AM7/22/11
to Philippine Go Association
Game!

Matt/Alek

Jul 26, 2011, 11:12:16 PM7/26/11
to Philippine Go Association
aww.. i'm not sure if i'll be able to attend.. strict ang prof ko this
day, baka 'di ako payagan ma-excuse.. :(

benj

Aug 11, 2011, 9:53:11 PM8/11/11
to Philippine Go Association
Sa susunod na Sabado na ang tournament. Yung may go clock, pakidala.
Salamat.

mikong

Aug 19, 2011, 6:59:56 AM8/19/11
to Philippine Go Association
Bukas na 'to! See you!

Benj, iniwan ko yung clock ko sa office. :)

Celeste Abat

Aug 19, 2011, 10:12:43 AM8/19/11
to philippine-g...@googlegroups.com
Benj, wala ng clock dito sa akin. Lahat nandun na. ^_^ For sure hindi
ako late bukas.

On 19/08/2011, mikong <michae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bukas na 'to! See you!
>
> Benj, iniwan ko yung clock ko sa office. :)

mikong

Aug 19, 2011, 9:55:08 PM8/19/11
to Philippine Go Association
Btw, may Hikaru no Go manga sa prizes :)

benj

Aug 21, 2011, 1:08:26 AM8/21/11
to Philippine Go Association
Una sa lahat, nagpapaumanhin ako sa organisasyon ng tournament. Medyo
nangangapa pa kung paano gamitin ang Double Knockout System.

11 ang sumali. 8 Pinoy at 3 Korean na mga bata. Ang parings diagram ay
dapat ganito http://www.printyourbrackets.com/pdfbrackets/11teamdouble.pdf

Dahil 10 ang naglaro at 1 ang nagpahinga (hindi 6 laro + 5 pahinga) sa
unang round naging masalimuot ang mga sumunod na pagpapares. Para
umayos ang pagpapares nagpanggap kami na 16 lahat ang bilang ng
players.

Anu't anuman heto ang mga resulta ng 3 rounds noong Sabado:

1st round
Bryan, Che+
Yu, Mikong+
Alvin, Benj+
Francis+, Celeste
Jeong+, Denny
Jedi+, 12 (dummy player)
13+, 14
15+, 16

2nd round
Winner's Bracket
Che+, 15
Mikong+, 13
Benj+, Jedi
Francis+, Jeong

Loser's Bracket
Bryan+, 16
Yu+, 14
Alvin+, 12
Celeste+, Denny

3rd round
Winner's Bracket
Cherisse+, Francis
Mikong+, Benj

Loser's Bracket
Celeste+, 15
Alvin+, 13
Yu, Jedi+
Bryan+, Jeong

benj

Aug 21, 2011, 1:18:05 AM8/21/11
to Philippine Go Association
Next round pairings:

4th round
Winner's Bracket
Che, Mikong

Loser's Bracket
Francis, Jedi
Benj, Bryan
Celeste, Alvin

benj

Aug 22, 2011, 2:54:28 AM8/22/11
to Philippine Go Association
Mr. Izeki donated ₱3,000 last Saturday for the cash prizes. Here are
the rules for earning a prize.

For every game played in the 1st and 2nd round, a win earns a player
₱100. Wins by default or bye or against a dummy player will not get a
prize.

A win in the Winner's Bracket in the 3rd round and onwards earns a
player ₱200. A win in the Loser's Bracket always earns a player only
₱100.

The winner of the tournament will take all the remaining prize money.

benj

Aug 22, 2011, 3:20:18 AM8/22/11
to Philippine Go Association
Rules on determining the winner

The winner of the tournament will be the player who did not get
eliminated, and a player gets eliminated if he or she loses twice.

This means that the final player from the Loser's Bracket will need to
defeat the final player from the Winner's Bracket twice in order to
win the tournament.

In case there is an 8th and final round, it may be held on another day
not later than August 31, 2011.

benj

Aug 24, 2011, 5:40:16 PM8/24/11
to Philippine Go Association
Since there are non-Filipinos participating in the tournament, we will
probably run special matches to determine which players to give
qualification points intended originally for 2nd and 3rd placers, that
is 7 and 4 QP. The highest-placing Filipino will get the highest
qualifying points, 10 QP.

Remember that the qualification points are for choosing
representatives in international tournaments.

mikong

Aug 26, 2011, 1:18:12 AM8/26/11
to Philippine Go Association
After the Bagyo tournament (after 5pm), we will have the Simultaneous
games with Hong Sungji 8p and the other 7d visitor (I didn't get his
name yet). Hong Seolki 7d will also play.

During the tournament, Hong Seolki will be commenting live on some of
the tournament games, probably on the 7th round of the tournament (or
4th round of this Saturday).

Given that we have a simul event after the tournament, we'd probably
like to start the tournament on time. Perhaps we should implement the
time deduction rule for late players?

Benj apologized earlier in the thread and I would also like to do the
same to everyone affected by it, and also particularly to Benj. Last
Saturday, the tournament was already very late because as mentioned by
Benj, we are not yet experienced in organizing a double-elimination
tournament. I pressured Benj to start the tournament immediately
because of this and said that we should just pair players
consecutively by their drawn numbers (1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, ..., 9 vs 10 and
11 vs dummy 12 since we only have 11 players). It turned out that
double-eliminations should be organized in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16),
so we should have had more dummies in the first round (players 12 to
16). We were only able to apply this in the later rounds. Some games
in the losers bracket also got invalidated because they were paired
even before the winners bracket round finished, again because I was
pressuring everyone to start their games early because of the delayed
schedule. I'm very sorry for that. We will organize it much better
tomorrow and in future tournaments. We have learned from our mistakes.
I do not regret that we organized a double elimination format, but
only that we didn't prepare enough. I think it's a great format and
one that we will probably use in future tournaments.

Anyway, I hope to see you tomorrow. We have the later rounds of the
tournament as players, the live commentary by Hong Seolki and the
simultaneous games after the tournament. There's a lot to look forward
to.

benj

Aug 27, 2011, 4:17:06 PM8/27/11
to Philippine Go Association
In the second leg of the tournament, Bryan, a Korean kid, bested all
his opponents including Cherisse, the first finalist. Cherisse beat
Bryan in the first round, but Bryan got his revenge in the seventh
round. As it was the first loss for Cherisse, there will be a last
match between Bryan and her next Saturday, September 3.

Francis and Mikong played the closest game of the tournament in the
fifth round which Mikong won only by 1.5 points. The match between
Bryan and Mikong in the sixth round was the most exciting, however,
with Mikong capturing a group on the left side of the board, Bryan
killing a group on the bottom side, Mikong saving his group in the
center and Bryan killing another group at the top side.

After the game, the players had simultaneous games with a visiting
Korean professional go player, Hong Sungji 8-dan, and a top Korean
amateur go player Park Jongwook, 7-dan.

Results as of Aug. 27

Round 4
Winner's Bracket
Che+, Mikong

Loser's Bracket
Francis+, Jedi (forfeit)
Benj, Bryan+
Celeste+, Alvin (forfeit)

Round 5
Mikong+, Francis
Bryan+, Celeste

Round 6
Mikong, Bryan+

Round 7
Che, Bryan+

benj

Aug 31, 2011, 9:14:38 PM8/31/11
to Philippine Go Association
You are all welcome to see the championship game between Bryan and
Cherisse this Saturday, 2 p.m at the same place at Baduk Jusan School,
Gold Loop Tower, Ortigas. Also, players who won (not by forfeit) at
least one game in the tournament, please come to Baduk Jusan this
Saturday to claim your prize: Jedidiah Rueras, Francis Robles, Jeong
Chanho and Joseph Michael Galero.

mikong

Sep 1, 2011, 2:30:16 PM9/1/11
to Philippine Go Association
Our teacher Hong Seolki will be attending the meet-up and he said he
will give a (live?) commentary of the final game between Bryan and
Cherisse.

benj

Sep 3, 2011, 6:22:39 PM9/3/11
to Philippine Go Association
‎Cherisse defeated Bryan in a tense and final game and won the
Championship of the 1st Bagyo Go Tournament. Cherisse took an early
lead after killing Bryan's group in a corner. It looked as if she was
going to walk away with an easy win, but Bryan brilliantly created a
ko out of the corner group that was thought to be dead. The ko put a
large group of Cherisse in danger. Already in byo-yomi, she sought a
way out for her group and made a game-deciding ko. Bryan ran out of ko
threats, and Cherisse saved her group.

Cherisse won ₱1,600 for 1st prize and Bryan won ₱500 for the 2nd
prize.

See the record of the exciting game on http://eidogo.com/#1XQbe6rQ

waya3

Oct 14, 2011, 10:18:16 PM10/14/11
to Philippine Go Association

Nice.. ang ganda ng laban! Palaban tong si Bryan kay Che ah.. =))

benj

Oct 15, 2011, 9:16:20 PM10/15/11
to Philippine Go Association
nabuhay si waya! kumusta na?

bumisita ka naman sa Ortigas office ng PhGo

mikong

Oct 16, 2011, 6:03:33 AM10/16/11
to Philippine Go Association
O nga waya! :D

Celeste Abat

Oct 16, 2011, 6:31:44 AM10/16/11
to philippine-g...@googlegroups.com
Wow! kamusta ka Waya? Magpakita ka naman sa amin.

Celeste

che

Oct 18, 2011, 2:53:58 AM10/18/11
to Philippine Go Association
mahilig sa contact fight si bryan. ngayon lang ako nanalo matapos
naming maglaro ng 3 beses dahil sinubukan kong "mag-ingat" pero
nakahanap pa rin ng ko! nag-post ako ng game review sa fb na mayroong
comment ng teacher at ibang players.