HTTPService Intermittent

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Bryan L

unread,
Jan 14, 2010, 1:04:09 PM1/14/10
to phf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Group,
 
Somewhat new to Flex.  I have a chart that is being populated by an HTTP Service call out to an ASP page that submits the query and returns the XML formatted results.
 
Everything works in testing.  When published to our live site things seem to work fine as well, but there are a few users that report that while the UI of the swf loads, the chart does not populate with the data points.
 
For most users this works fine but some report this problem.  I cannot reproduce it myself.  Site is password protected otherwise I would provide links.
 
If anyone has any ideas about possible causes or good ways to test this I would appreciate your input.
 
Thanks in advance!
 
Kind Regards,
 
Bryan


Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up now.

Arpit Mathur

unread,
Jan 16, 2010, 6:33:31 PM1/16/10
to phf...@googlegroups.com
Ugh. I hate bugs that cannot be consistently reproduced. Here are some thoughts

It seems like there could be either an error in your serverside code generating empty sets or some bug on your flex code

1) Hows ur serverside logging? Everytime you generate datasets can u log it and then later see if you generated empty sets?
2) Use one of the Flex logging frameworks to log the app events. How you recieve the event information is upto you. At Comcast we used an API for some apps to communicate errors but a simpler solution may be prompting someone to email the error ?

I am about to release a desktop AIR application that people may find bugs with and my solution for the time being is a small window that shows the log messages generated by the application. A screenshot can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/18974628@N00/4279495531/sizes/o/
By letting the users copy the text, they can email the errors to me. Its not super ideal but good enough for this phase.

Something like your error is a good candidate for some unit testing though. Have you looked at FlexUnit?

-arpit



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Philadelphia Flex User Group" group.
To post to this group, send email to phf...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to phflex+un...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/phflex?hl=en.




--
----------------------------------------------
Arpit Mathur
twitter: http://twitter.com/arpit
blog: http://arpitonline.com/blog
-----------------------------------------------

Bryan L

unread,
Jan 18, 2010, 11:57:10 AM1/18/10
to phf...@googlegroups.com
Arpit,
 
Thanks a ton for these suggestions!  Logging on the server is a great idea.  I will probably start with that as it will be the easiest for me.
 
I had two ideas over the weekend about this myself - Could it be that possibly the local environment (network or local system) where the web page is being viewed is blocking the communication between the swf and the asp page (same domain).  Do you think this is possible?  The other is - could it be something as simple as forcing the stage to refresh itself after it receives the data?  I am pretty sure I saw the code for this somewhere in the help docs.
 
I will check out the unit testing idea as well, I was not familiar with this.  My next major challenge is an AIR app, I will probably be using your suggestion about emailing errors as well.  Do you suggest any good books for AIR dev?
 
You have been a great help.  Just enough to get my mind moving forward again.  Sometimes the hardest part of being a solo developer is getting moving again after you get stuck.
 
Thanks again!
 
Kind Regards,
 
Bryan
 

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:33:31 -0500
Subject: Re: [phflex:369] HTTPService Intermittent
From: mathur...@gmail.com
To: phf...@googlegroups.com

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

Arpit Mathur

unread,
Jan 19, 2010, 10:07:49 AM1/19/10
to phf...@googlegroups.com
Hi again, 

Comments follow:


> Could it be that possibly the local environment (network or local system) where the web page is being viewed is blocking the communication between the swf and the asp page (same domain).
Could be, though are your swfs and the data served by different domains? If you are using HTTPService to load data you can use the fault event it dispatches to maybe show an alert window (or something more user friendly) and/or log the event.

>The other is - could it be something as simple as forcing the stage to refresh itself after it receives the data?
This one is less likely in my opinion specially if you are using standard Flex charts and just populating them with data, but if all else fails give it a shot. Most of my redraw issues were when I was writing custom components and was less familar with the component lifecycle.

>Do you suggest any good books for AIR dev?
Sorry. Google and blogs have been my source of all things AIR. Feel free to ask AIR questions here as well and I can try to help. Its something I have been working a lot with lately.

Good luck!
-arpit

Bryan L

unread,
Jan 20, 2010, 11:22:01 AM1/20/10
to phf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Again!  Great Suggestions!  I will let you know how it goes.
 
Regards,
 
Bry
 

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:07:49 -0500
Subject: Re: [phflex:371] HTTPService Intermittent
Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

RickB

unread,
Jan 21, 2010, 9:59:52 AM1/21/10
to Philadelphia Flex User Group
Bryan, there was a bug in Flex SDK 3.4 that was fixed in SDK 3.5 that
cause problems with HTTPService responders being called twice and
really messed up a lot of applications...any chance this is what
you're facing?

Also, since HTTP is by definition not a reliable communications
protocol, you definitely need to "code defensively" and build in retry
logic as needed. It can get a bit messy with the asynchronous nature
of Flex service invocations, but it is doable.

On Jan 20, 11:22 am, Bryan L <accessbr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Again!  Great Suggestions!  I will let you know how it goes.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bry
>

> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:07:49 -0500
> Subject: Re: [phflex:371] HTTPService Intermittent

> From: mathur.ar...@gmail.com


> To: phf...@googlegroups.com
>
> Hi again,
>
> Comments follow:
>
> > Could it be that possibly the local environment (network or local system) where the web page is being viewed is blocking the communication between the swf and the asp page (same domain).
>
> Could be, though are your swfs and the data served by different domains? If you are using HTTPService to load data you can use the fault event it dispatches to maybe show an alert window (or something more user friendly) and/or log the event.
>
> >The other is - could it be something as simple as forcing the stage to refresh itself after it receives the data?
>
> This one is less likely in my opinion specially if you are using standard Flex charts and just populating them with data, but if all else fails give it a shot. Most of my redraw issues were when I was writing custom components and was less familar with the component lifecycle.
>
> >Do you suggest any good books for AIR dev?
>
> Sorry. Google and blogs have been my source of all things AIR. Feel free to ask AIR questions here as well and I can try to help. Its something I have been working a lot with lately.
>
> Good luck!
> -arpit
>

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Bryan L <accessbr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Arpit,
>
> Thanks a ton for these suggestions!  Logging on the server is a great idea.  I will probably start with that as it will be the easiest for me.
>
> I had two ideas over the weekend about this myself - Could it be that possibly the local environment (network or local system) where the web page is being viewed is blocking the communication between the swf and the asp page (same domain).  Do you think this is possible?  The other is - could it be something as simple as forcing the stage to refresh itself after it receives the data?  I am pretty sure I saw the code for this somewhere in the help docs.
>
> I will check out the unit testing idea as well, I was not familiar with this.  My next major challenge is an AIR app, I will probably be using your suggestion about emailing errors as well.  Do you suggest any good books for AIR dev?
>
> You have been a great help.  Just enough to get my mind moving forward again.  Sometimes the hardest part of being a solo developer is getting moving again after you get stuck.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bryan
>

> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:33:31 -0500
> Subject: Re: [phflex:369] HTTPService Intermittent

> From: mathur.ar...@gmail.com


> To: phf...@googlegroups.com
>
> Ugh. I hate bugs that cannot be consistently reproduced. Here are some thoughts
>
> It seems like there could be either an error in your serverside code generating empty sets or some bug on your flex code
>
> 1) Hows ur serverside logging? Everytime you generate datasets can u log it and then later see if you generated empty sets?
> 2) Use one of the Flex logging frameworks to log the app events. How you recieve the event information is upto you. At Comcast we used an API for some apps to communicate errors but a simpler solution may be prompting someone to email the error ?
>
> I am about to release a desktop AIR application that people may find bugs with and my solution for the time being is a small window that shows the log messages generated by the application. A screenshot can be seen here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/18974628@N00/4279495531/sizes/o/
> By letting the users copy the text, they can email the errors to me. Its not super ideal but good enough for this phase.
>
> Something like your error is a good candidate for some unit testing though. Have you looked at FlexUnit?
>
> -arpit
>

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Bryan L <accessbr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Group,
>
> Somewhat new to Flex.  I have a chart that is being populated by an HTTP Service call out to an ASP page that submits the query and returns the XML formatted results.
>
> Everything works in testing.  When published to our live site things seem to work fine as well, but there are a few users that report that while the UI of the swf loads, the chart does not populate with the data points.
>
> For most users this works fine but some report this problem.  I cannot reproduce it myself.  Site is password protected otherwise I would provide links.
>
> If anyone has any ideas about possible causes or good ways to test this I would appreciate your input.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bryan
>

> Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up now.
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Philadelphia Flex User Group" group.
> To post to this group, send email to phf...@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to phflex+un...@googlegroups.com.

> For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/phflex?hl=en.


>
> --
> ----------------------------------------------
> Arpit Mathur
> twitter:http://twitter.com/arpit
> blog:http://arpitonline.com/blog
> -----------------------------------------------
>

> Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Philadelphia Flex User Group" group.
> To post to this group, send email to phf...@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to phflex+un...@googlegroups.com.

> For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/phflex?hl=en.


>
> --
> ----------------------------------------------
> Arpit Mathur
> twitter:http://twitter.com/arpit
> blog:http://arpitonline.com/blog
> -----------------------------------------------
>

> _________________________________________________________________
> Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection.http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390707/direct/01/

Bryan L

unread,
Jan 21, 2010, 2:37:27 PM1/21/10
to phf...@googlegroups.com
Rick,
 
Thanks, I will look into these issues and check my SDK version.  I had no idea there were problems such as the ones you mentioned.
 
You say Flex services can be messy...are there better ways to get my data in?  Sorry somewhat newbie - to Flex at least.
 
I saw your previous post about the startup...wishing you all great success!  Regardless, it should be a great experience.
 
I don't have the requisite Flex experience but I have been through a few startups over the years (good and less than good).  If you ever have any questions feel free to contact me off-list acces...@hotmail.com - I may not have the answer, but I might know someone that does.

Regards and thanks again,
 
Bryan 

> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 06:59:52 -0800
> Subject: [phflex:374] Re: HTTPService Intermittent
> From: rick.b...@comcast.net
> To: phf...@googlegroups.com
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages