PhantomJS kills server - too many processes?

trashymctrash

Nov 11, 2013, 12:36:24 PM11/11/13
to phan...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I integrated Rspec tests (with Capybara) with PhantomJS in our Jenkins CI system. They are triggered after each deploy to a staging system, and only one job can run at the same time.

Sysadmins contacted me today and told me that it is very likely that these tests cause a really high load on the Apache server and basically killed one of them. Apparently one single test has caused 400 processes on three servers.

My questions (I am not a sysadmin, so some of them might sound stupid):
- Is that scenario even possible?
- Can I limit the amount of requests in PhantomJS somehow?
- Has anyone experienced similar issues?

Basically, the tests do normal stuff: buy a product and go through checkout, write a review for a product, nothing fancy. Definitely no load tests or stress tests.

If further info is needed, I'll be happy to provide.

Thanks in advance

James Greene

Nov 11, 2013, 2:09:36 PM11/11/13
to phan...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what's happening in your RSpec, Capybara, or Jenkins pieces but PhantomJS itself just runs a single process unless your Phantom script explicitly creates more with the "child_process" module.

Sincerely,
    James Greene

trashymctrash

Nov 15, 2013, 6:47:50 AM11/15/13
to phan...@googlegroups.com
Turns out it was a server issue. Thank you for your input, James.

James Greene

Nov 15, 2013, 7:54:29 AM11/15/13
to phan...@googlegroups.com

Glad you were able to get it resolved.