Docs suggestions

grarpamp

May 27, 2011, 3:19:22 PM5/27/11
to phantom-...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest moving the docs (ppt/pdf) into a new 'docs' dir, and
for future man pages, etc. Removing the word 'Original' from their
names, and change the spaces to underscores. Also include the source
of the docs in plaintext in the tarball so that they can be diffed
between revisions. Add links to the defcon bits in a readme. I'd
also do something with the multiple license and readme files. As
well as replacing all the files in Magnus' site dir with one
readme.txt pointing to google code as apparently the now canonical
site for Phantom.

restructure as a typical package:

phantom/src
phantom/docs
phantom/scripts
phantom/protos
phantom/README
phantom/LICENSE

Ernst Rohlicek

May 27, 2011, 7:25:58 PM5/27/11
to Phantom Protocol
+1

That would be a good thing.

Johannes Schlumberger

May 31, 2011, 9:29:28 PM5/31/11
to phantom-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
thank you for your suggestions.

> I'd suggest moving the docs (ppt/pdf) into a new 'docs' dir, and
> for future man pages, etc.

Done.

> Removing the word 'Original' from their names, and change the spaces to
> underscores. Also include the source of the docs in plaintext in the tarball
> so that they can be diffed between revisions.

I moved the documents, but kept the word original in the title, since their
might be more papers coming and it might get confusing then. As for the source
of the documents, we decided not to include it in the release packages, since it
does not really belong there and we will instead have a changelog file in the
docs directory to reflect changes in the binary files. I think that should solve
the issue of invisible changes in the binary documents.

> Add links to the defcon bits in a readme.

Done.

> I'd also do something with the multiple license and readme files.

There is only one copy now, which is OK since we have a flatter directory
structure now.

> As well as replacing all the files in Magnus' site dir with one readme.txt
> pointing to google code as apparently the now canonical site for Phantom.

The files are still hosted by Magnus, but there is now a site pointing visitors
to the google code project.

thanks for your suggestions,
Johannes

Magnus Bråding

May 31, 2011, 10:33:20 PM5/31/11
to phantom-...@googlegroups.com
> The files are still hosted by Magnus, but there is now a site pointing visitors
> to the google code project.

The source pack is removed though (i.e. only hosted at the Google Code
project now), but copies of the PDFs and PPT slides are still hosted at
the magnusbrading.com URL:s, since I haven't been able to get usable
URLs out of Google Code for those files which will produce a correct
MIME-type (and thus make them readable directly in a browser etc).

Regards,
Magnus