stupid question - list of known extensions?

Bear Giles

Oct 20, 2021, 12:55:33 PM10/20/21
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
I'm probably missing something obvious but I can't find a list of known extensions on pgxn.org. I can find recent releases but not ancient ones like mne.

Thanks,

Bear

David E. Wheeler

Oct 20, 2021, 4:26:03 PM10/20/21
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 20, 2021, at 12:55 PM, Bear Giles <bgi...@coyotesong.com> wrote:

> I'm probably missing something obvious but I can't find a list of known extensions on pgxn.org. I can find recent releases but not ancient ones like mne.

You can find yours here:

https://pgxn.org/user/thebearinboulder/

Best,

David

Bear Giles

Oct 21, 2021, 8:46:35 AM10/21/21
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
Those are the ones I wrote - I was thinking in general. As I revisit this I would prefer to send a PR to an existing project vs. reinventing the wheel.

(Which reminds me I should check for PRs... most of my work like this is between contracts and I don't have time to follow up once I'm working again. This is an exception since I've been working on a really toxic task and need to focus on something like this to reset. Something nice and predictable - not something where a remote server will send something unexpected AND the library we use to parse the results is not consistent with its documentation. It would be one thing if it were reproducible - but it's one of those things where you might see the bad behavior at the three hour mark... or the three day mark... or the three week mark. Augh!)

Daniele Varrazzo

Oct 21, 2021, 9:57:31 AM10/21/21
to PGXN Users
On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 at 13:46, Bear Giles <bgi...@coyotesong.com> wrote:

> Those are the ones I wrote - I was thinking in general. As I revisit this I would prefer to send a PR to an existing project vs. reinventing the wheel.

You might surely consider PGMP if you do work related to arbitrary
precision numbers (https://www.varrazzo.com/pgmp/). It wraps GMP
integers and rationals and could be a good starting point to wrap MPFR
floating point numbers too.

-- Daniele

Bear Giles

Oct 21, 2021, 12:35:38 PM10/21/21
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking of updating some ancient security extensions - from PostgreSQL 5, iirc. Maybe PostgreSQL 4. My bignum was spun out from it but it's just a fraction of it. I know there's alternative implements now and that's one reason why I want to check existing extensions - some things might make more sense as PR on those extensions than yet another extension.

It could be... interesting...  since my current approach will probably be a mixture of C and pl/java.

Bear

David E. Wheeler

Oct 21, 2021, 3:28:38 PM10/21/21
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 21, 2021, at 8:46 AM, Bear Giles <bgi...@coyotesong.com> wrote:

> Those are the ones I wrote - I was thinking in general. As I revisit this I would prefer to send a PR to an existing project vs. reinventing the wheel.

Yeah, recent uploads just shows…recent releases. Otherwise you can search around (use the extensions or distributions option) or just browse through authors.

https://pgxn.org/users/

> (Which reminds me I should check for PRs... most of my work like this is between contracts and I don't have time to follow up once I'm working again. This is an exception since I've been working on a really toxic task and need to focus on something like this to reset. Something nice and predictable - not something where a remote server will send something unexpected AND the library we use to parse the results is not consistent with its documentation. It would be one thing if it were reproducible - but it's one of those things where you might see the bad behavior at the three hour mark... or the three day mark... or the three week mark. Augh!)

Hope it was helpful to vent a little. :-)

Best,

David