pl/java project for FAQ

Bear Giles

Oct 21, 2021, 12:48:07 PM10/21/21
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com

It's another toy - an implementation of a "Rational" UDT including operators and indexing.
However it's written in Java, not C, and therefore may be much more accessible to a newbie since it doesn't require same level of familiarity with the server internals as a C extension. The drawback is that it has limitations due to the need to go through a java/C layer - but it should be enough for many extension developers.

(Performance shouldn't be an issue with any modern JVM.)

To my horror I just realized I never made the source available on github. Eek!

At some point I'll probably update the articles and republish them on Medium. E.g., this discusses integration with Hibernate but now I would add jOOQ.

Anyway I'm sure several of the pl/x extensions could also be used to write extensions, esp. if they're just UTF extensions, so it might be helpful to include a section in the FAQ. My article covers a lot of the SQL-side stuff that took a while to figure out. It's all obvious and clearly documented - once you know what to look for. But before then...

Bear

David E. Wheeler

Oct 30, 2021, 2:26:49 PM10/30/21
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 21, 2021, at 12:47, Bear Giles <bgi...@coyotesong.com> wrote:

TBH this list is for discussing anything about PGXN, including how to develop extensions of all kinds, C, SQL, Java, Go, Rust, whatever. :-)

> Anyway I'm sure several of the pl/x extensions could also be used to write extensions, esp. if they're just UTF extensions, so it might be helpful to include a section in the FAQ. My article covers a lot of the SQL-side stuff that took a while to figure out. It's all obvious and clearly documented - once you know what to look for. But before then...

Happy to add some additional links for people to use other languages. Have you got any handy, now that you’ve found that clear documentation? :-)

Best,

David

signature.asc