Hello! Newbie with (likely) pilot error on first upload

Buzz Moschetti

Oct 28, 2022, 1:21:16 PM10/28/22
to PGXN Users
Hi!   I wish to contribute an extension called pgbson.   It realizes the BSON type and provides a slew of functions to extract typesafe items from rich structures.   Sort of like json and jsonb but for bson and with better type fidelity around numerics, timestamps, and binary data.

Upon upload of my .zip I get :  "User “buzz” does not own all provided extensions"
There are no other extension (at least in the PGXN search) matching "pgbson".  I tried changing the name to "XXXpgbson" and yielded the same error so I don't think it is just a name thing.   Here is my META.json.   This is first post of *my* pgbson; one exists from 10 years ago (not on PGXN) that was version 1.0.0.   Since my implementation is vastly different but acknowledging the earlier work, I started with 2.0.0.
{

   "name": "pgbson",

   "abstract": "Create BSON type and functionality similar to json and jsonb",

    "description": "This library contains a single PostgreSQL extension, a data type called “bson”, along with functions to access fields anywhere in the structure similar to both the arrow and json(b)_extract_path() features in the built-in json and jsonb types.",

   "version": "2.0.0",

   "maintainer": [

      "Buzz Moschetti <buzz.mo...@gmail.com>"

   ],

   "license": "mit",

   "provides": {

      "pgbson": {

         "abstract": "The bson data type",

          "file": "pgbson--2.0.sql",

         "docfile": "README.md",

         "version": "2.0.0"

      }

   },

   "resources": {

      "bugtracker": {

         "web": "https://github.com/buzzm/postgresbson-pair/issues/"

      },

      "repository": {

      "url":  "git://github.com/buzzm/postgresbson.git",

      "web":  "https://github.com/buzzm/postgresbson/",

      "type": "git"

      }

   },

   "generated_by": "Buzz Moschetti",

   "meta-spec": {

      "version": "1.0.0",

      "url": "https://pgxn.org/meta/spec.txt"

   },

   "tags": [

      "json",

      "jsonb",

      "bson",

      "complex structures",

      "data type"

   ]

}

Any clues?

Buzz Moschetti

Oct 28, 2022, 1:25:50 PM10/28/22
to PGXN Users
Well, I didn't realize that the search function defaults to Documentation and for some reason, that text (pgbson) does not appear in whatever the  1.0.0 author posted in 2013.   I changed it to "Extensions" and *yes* pgbson1.0.0 is there.

So what do I do now?

David E. Wheeler

Oct 28, 2022, 4:12:41 PM10/28/22
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 28, 2022, at 13:25, Buzz Moschetti <buzz.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I didn't realize that the search function defaults to Documentation and for some reason, that text (pgbson) does not appear in whatever the 1.0.0 author posted in 2013. I changed it to "Extensions" and *yes* pgbson1.0.0 is there.

Yeah, I want to change that at some point. No one really notices it, and too many projects don’t have doc files other than the README, to it’s kind of crappy.

> So what do I do now?

Well everything on PGXN is for Postgres; maybe drop the “pg” prefix (in both the distribution name and the extension name):

"name": "bson",

Or else get in touch with the author of the older pgbson extension and see if they want to work with you or transfer ownership to maintain it.

Best,

David

Buzz Moschetti

Oct 28, 2022, 6:01:37 PM10/28/22
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
So I think I will simply rename the PGXN name "pgbson2" since this identifier is local to PGXN.  The extension name will remain "pgbson"  e.g. CREATE EXTENSION pgbson  ;   the type will remain "bson" e.g. CREATE TYPE bson.    There are a few nasty symbol clashes with the underlying libbson.so library and I don't want to complicate the link namespace.

Buzz Moschetti

Oct 28, 2022, 6:14:10 PM10/28/22
to PGXN Users
Sigh.   Changing the name to

 {"name": "pgbson2"}

yields the same "User “buzz” does not own all provided extensions"  -- but I should have known that because when I tried XXpgbson it also generated that error.   So something else in the META.json is being indexed on "pgbson" and a dupe is found.   The logical culprit is  "provides.pgbson"  but at this point I don't want to blindly try changing things in hopes they post.

David E. Wheeler

Oct 28, 2022, 7:42:18 PM10/28/22
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 28, 2022, at 18:14, Buzz Moschetti <buzz.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sigh. Changing the name to
> {"name": "pgbson2"}
>
> yields the same "User “buzz” does not own all provided extensions" -- but I should have known that because when I tried XXpgbson it also generated that error. So something else in the META.json is being indexed on "pgbson" and a dupe is found. The logical culprit is "provides.pgbson" but at this point I don't want to blindly try changing things in hopes they post.

Hrm. Send me the full META.json file, will you? As an attachment? I’ll run the validator over it and try to see what’s what.

Buzz Moschetti

Oct 28, 2022, 9:02:06 PM10/28/22
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
OK, here's the very latest META file as an attachment.
Thanks for the help.    I hope the extension is worth it.

META.json

David E. Wheeler

Oct 29, 2022, 7:51:26 PM10/29/22
to pgxn-...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 28, 2022, at 21:01, Buzz Moschetti <buzz.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, here's the very latest META file as an attachment.
> Thanks for the help. I hope the extension is worth it.

It’s valid. However, you have to change the name of the extension in the “provides” object, not (just) in the root-level name. Try the attached.

Even better, as I said before, just name it `bson` — again, in both the root-level name and the “provides” object.

Best,

David

META.json