How to download, compile & install ONLY the libpq source on a server that DOES NOT have PostgreSQL installed?

Joe Codeswell

Apr 22, 2015, 2:38:41 PM4/22/15
Dear pgsql.interfaces,

Sorry about previously cross-posting this in pgsql.general. I didn't know about this group.

## Here's my question:

How can I download, compile, make & install ONLY the libpq source on a server (Ubuntu) that DOES NOT have PostgreSQL installed?

I have found the libpq source here [https://github.com/postgres/postgres/tree/master/src/interfaces/libpq]. However it does NOT seem to be separable from the entire PostgreSQL. Thanks in advance.

I DO NOT want to install the entire PostgreSQL. I want to use libpq as a C interface to PostgreSQL on a DIFFERENT server (also Ubuntu) that DOES have it installed.

I also found this old link [http://stackoverflow.com/a/1244813/601770] which indicates that the above is POSSIBLE but not HOW to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Love and peace,

Joe