Downloading/Building the latest PgDBF

Kevin Salisbury

Jul 21, 2015, 4:05:07 PM7/21/15
to PgDBF

Hello all,

It's been a while since I pulled down and tried to build PgDBF. The git clone https://github.com/kstrauser/pgdbf.git runs fine but when I run;

$ ./configure; make; make install

..there are errors at the end;

CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && aclocal-1.14 -I m4 --install
/bin/sh: aclocal-1.14: command not found
make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 127
CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && aclocal-1.14 -I m4 --install
/bin/sh: aclocal-1.14: command not found
make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 127

My aclocal (GNU automake) is at version 1.15 - is this the problem? What's the best way to clone the latest PgDBF with all of the fixes (ideally for Suse Linux Enterprise 11 SP3 x64 if possible)?

Kevin

Philipp Wollermann

Jul 22, 2015, 3:23:38 AM7/22/15
to Kevin Salisbury, PgDBF
Hi Kevin,

could you try to merge my pull request here manually into your clone: https://github.com/kstrauser/pgdbf/pull/15 ?
It updates a bunch of aclocal / autoconf / automake related things.

If that doesn't help, I'll try to reproduce it later in a VM to come up with a fix :)

Philipp

Philipp Wollermann

Jul 28, 2015, 4:23:11 PM7/28/15
to Kevin Salisbury, PgDBF
Hi,

reposting to the list now that we have a solution. :)

On openSUSE 13.2 I could reproduce the exact error. The issue exists because the configure script checked into the Git repo requires aclocal-1.14, but SUSE ships only 1.13.

The solution is very easy: Just run "autoreconf -i", which will regenerate the configure script. Then the usual ./configure && make will work.

Here's what I did on my test VM:
sudo zypper install git-core
sudo zypper install --type pattern devel_C_C++
git clone https://github.com/philwo/pgdbf.git
cd pgdbf
autoreconf -i
./configure
make

philwo@linux-0hyv:~/pgdbf> ./src/pgdbf
Usage: pgdbf [-cCdDeEhtTuUwWxX] [-s encoding] [-m memofilename] filename [indexcolumn ...]

Success! I've also abandoned my two pull requests to Kirk's repo as they were a bit broken anyway (the one request depended on the other one due to a Git mess up on my side) and instead pushed all my changes onto my master branch. I'll resend the pull requests when I hear something from Kirk - I think he's too busy currently anyway.

Feel free to clone from my repo, but I think Kirk's should work too:

Cheers,
Philipp

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:05 PM Kevin Salisbury <kevin.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

Kirk Strauser

Jul 31, 2015, 3:03:48 PM7/31/15
to Philipp Wollermann, Kevin Salisbury, PgDBF
Hey Philipp,

Ugh, I’ve been neglectful. I just realized that I haven’t been getting any PR or bug notification, but I’ll try to be better about this.

Nahum Castro

Aug 8, 2015, 11:13:20 PM8/8/15
to PgDBF, kevin.s...@gmail.com
This tip worked also with OS X yosemite 10.10.4 with brew tools

automake is version 1.15

Thanks

Philipp Wollermann

Aug 9, 2015, 4:04:20 PM8/9/15
to Kevin Salisbury, PgDBF
Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the make/configure issue, actually, I think people shouldn't
have to run "autoreconf -i" on their systems to make it work - it
should work just out of the box, as it usually does for other
open-source projects. But I have no experience at all with the GNU
autotools and their best practices, so I have to do some research for
this.

I'll add the "autoreconf" workaround to the README in any case, so
that other people can use that, while this is still an issue.

I'll prepare some pull requests to Kirk's repo this week to sort this out. :)