Is the barman system user required?

John Gooding

May 24, 2023, 12:04:30 PM5/24/23
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
I'm having difficulty finding detailed information about the barman system user in the documentation.

Is there anything special about it? Is it required for use?

I'm asking because the files written by the barman system user inherit the UID and GID of the user, somewhat obviously. I however need the files to be written with the UID of a different user due to how our shared storage pool works. So I would like to use a different system user that has the appropriate UID/GID, or if there is a more appropriate solution that achieves the same thing I'm open to that as well.

Thanks.

Luca Ferrari

May 24, 2023, 3:05:32 PM5/24/23
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
You can configure which user to use via the barman_user global setting.
Or you can use a post backup script to chown the files (this will make it harder to recover).
But I would investigate better on how your storage is mounted...

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pgbarman/4ff86760-4540-4530-8117-eac9f7c67055n%40googlegroups.com.