Barman skipping backups and sometime failing due to max_wal_senders reaching set value

Sourabh Singh

Apr 18, 2024, 9:22:11 AMApr 18
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Hello,

I am trying to understand how barman takes full backups. We have full backup (pg_basebackup) and wal streaming setup with barman. Full backups to run daily and wal streaming schedule is the default using barman cron. WAL streaming and archiving is continuous without any problem , however i see alot of "another cron process is running : skipping to next server" message in the log . Also the full backups dont run daily , it usually fails due to "FATAL: number of requested standby connections exceeds max_wal_senders".

I would like to point out that these are single instances with max_wal_senders set to 5 or 10 with one replication slot. Only streaming happening requiring wal sender process is barman.

I hope I was able to make myself clear. Looking forward to experts insights and learning from them.

Kind Regards
Sourabh