Failed to drop replication slot 'barman'

angelo onofri

Oct 17, 2022, 7:30:16 AM10/17/22
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
hello all,

I have this error in syslog every 10 seconds or so
,334 ERROR: Failed to drop replication slot 'barman'

They say I should update the configuration of patroni(zalando) with the following but in the documentation there is nothing about this
.
"But, currently in order to mitigate it you can add --slot=$current_node_name to basebackup options"

Do youi recognise in --slot=$current_node_name an option of barman

Thank you in advance for your help.

Angelo

Mike Wallace

Oct 17, 2022, 8:15:28 AM10/17/22
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angelo,

Looking at the original Patroni issue [1] I think it is referring to
the fact that you can specify the `--slot` option to pg_basebackup
(along with any other pg_basebackup option) - some examples are given
in the Patroni documentation [2], e.g.:

postgresql:
basebackup:
max-rate: '100M'
checkpoint: 'fast'

So I believe the suggested workaround is to add `slot:
'$current-node-name'` to those `basebackup` options - that would cause
`pg_basebackup` to use a replication slot which, presumably, Patroni
already knows about. However, that particular workaround is specific
to the case where Patroni is trying to drop the `pg_basebackup`
replication slot so I'm not sure it will help here.

In your case it looks like it's the Barman replication slot which
Patroni is trying to drop. In that case it looks like you can tell
Patroni to specifically ignore that replication slot [3] with the
ignore_slots [4] setting - you will need to add an entry to
`ignore_slots` where `name` equals the value of the replication slot
being used by Barman. For example:

ignore_slots:
- name: barman
type: physical

Hope this helps,

Michael

[1]: https://github.com/zalando/patroni/issues/2046
[2]: https://patroni.readthedocs.io/en/latest/replica_bootstrap.html#building-replicas
[3]: https://github.com/zalando/patroni/issues/2046#issuecomment-910218927
[4]: https://patroni.readthedocs.io/en/latest/SETTINGS.html
> --
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL" group.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pgbarman/36c72155-4d78-41fe-9adb-92e6bcb1fdc0n%40googlegroups.com.

Angelo Onofri

Oct 18, 2022, 9:18:28 AM10/18/22
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Hello all,

Thank you Michael. It worked this way.

Thanks,
Angelo