Incremental backup with geo redundancy

Francis

Dec 6, 2022, 12:08:18 PM12/6/22
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Hello,

I'm trying to setup incremental backups between two barman servers (geo redundancy). The geo redundancy works well, but it does sync full backups instead of incremental even if I use "reuse_backup = link".

The original backup method from the postgresql cluster to the initial barman server is "postgres". I know "postgres" backup method can't use incremental feature, so I wonder if this also apply when trying to sync theses backups offsite with the geo redundancy feature even if this sync is done with the "rsync" method. Should it works?

Configuration:
[pg-main]
description = Offsite backup for pg-main
backup_method = rsync
network_compression = true
reuse_backup = link
bandwidth_limit = 10000
primary_ssh_command = ssh bar...@10.10.10.10
minimum_redundancy = 4
retention_policy = RECOVERY WINDOW OF 4 WEEKS

When doing a show-backup command on the remote barman:
  Base backup information:
    Disk usage           : 27.9 GiB (27.9 GiB with WALs)
    Incremental size     : 27.9 GiB (-0.00%)

Thank you!

--
Francis

Martin Marques

Dec 6, 2022, 1:48:50 PM12/6/22
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
Hi

This is a bit weird. Barman does have the capability for doing incremental backups of passive nodes. The only thing I can think of is that the server where you have the passive node doesn't have hardlinks.

Could you provide a `barman diagnose` output from the passive node?

Output from `mount` and `df` would also help.

Kind regards, Martín

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pgbarman/063a2c0f-6f8b-461a-b97f-c9ff12697488n%40googlegroups.com.

Francis

Dec 7, 2022, 9:05:19 AM12/7/22
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Hello,

Please see  the commands output in the attached txt file.

I tested creating a hard link from a test file manually and it seem to work well.

Thank you!

--
Francis
output.txt

Martin Marques

Dec 10, 2022, 6:34:43 AM12/10/22
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
Everything looks fine there, and it should handle incremental backups correctly on the passive node. My suggestion is to increase debugging on the barman passive node and run some experiments, checking the logs for any messages which would indicate that there was a problem with checking the duplication of a file.