rsync backup log

Angelo Onofri

Mar 6, 2024, 7:32:04 AMMar 6
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Hello all,

I cannot find on the Internet anything about this.
Can you please explain the difference in barman.log  between these kind of messages?

1 -RsyncPgData DEBUG: >f+++++++++ base/1342559/2701
2 - RsyncPgData DEBUG: >f..t...... .s.PGSQL.5433.lock
3 - RsyncPgData DEBUG: hf          PG_VERSION

Is there a reason why at some point I dont see anymore the part "RsyncPgData DEBUG:" but just hf, f++ or f..t ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Angelo

Luca Ferrari

Mar 7, 2024, 2:44:59 AMMar 7
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 1:32 PM Angelo Onofri <angelo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I cannot find on the Internet anything about this.
> Can you please explain the difference in barman.log between these kind of messages?
>
> 1 -RsyncPgData DEBUG: >f+++++++++ base/1342559/2701
> 2 - RsyncPgData DEBUG: >f..t...... .s.PGSQL.5433.lock
> 3 - RsyncPgData DEBUG: hf PG_VERSION

I suspect this is due to
<https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/barman/blob/release/3.10.0/barman/copy_controller.py#L477>:
the `--itemize-changes` option of rsync prints out a character
sequence that summarizes the changes to be synced, for example a '+'
means a new file to be copied.

> Is there a reason why at some point I dont see anymore the part "RsyncPgData DEBUG:" but just hf, f++ or f..t ?

Not sure how barman is running rsync, but I guess it is rsync itself
doing the extra output of `--itemize-changes` and barman not loggin it
but you are seeing this on the standard output.

This is just a guess, barman developers could tell more.

Luca