barman backups from different postgresql versions

Jan Schmidwenzl

Jan 20, 2022, 9:01:24 AMJan 20
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Hello,

I am planning to upgrade from PG11 to PG13. During this integration i will have two versions of PstgreSQL für some time. When i add a new instance and want to integrate it into my old barman server i get:

pg_basebackup compatible: FAILED (PostgreSQL version: 13.5, pg_basebackup version: 11.13)

That is because on the barman server still the old version of postgres is installed. However, i don't find any configuration parameter to tell barman which version of PostgreSQL it should use. Is it possible to install two versions of PostgreSQL on the barmanserver and backup Instances with PG11 and PG13?
Do i just have to upgrade the barman server to PG13 and it detects the new PG Version and is backwards compatible to also back up the PG11 Instances?

I don't want to install PG13 on the barmanserver now, because i don't want to break my existing server before i know how Barman handles the new version and if it is capable of backing up the old PG11 databases after that.

thanks for your answer,
Jan

Michael Wallace

Feb 21, 2022, 10:07:00 AMFeb 21
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Hi Jan,

You can use the path_prefix server config option [1] to specify paths to directories which will be searched for binaries, so you could set path_prefix to point to the PG11 binaries for the PG11 server and then PG13 binaries for the PG13 server. That said, pg_basebackup is compatible with older major versions (down to 9.1) so path_prefix shouldn't be necessary here.

Best,

Mike

(and apologies for the late reply here - for some reason the google groups e-mail did not make it to my inbox)