barman & barman-cli - how important is version equality?

dulh...@mailbox.org

Jan 12, 2022, 7:37:27 PM1/12/22
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
I am banging my head against the wall with getting streaming backups running on a fresh pair of postgres & barman servers.

barman check continues to give me WAL archive: FAILED (please make sure WAL shipping is setup)

There is even ssh connectivity between both machines (which, due to the documentation is not even required for streaming backups).
I have noted though that the version of barman-cli 2.12 on the postgres server does not match the version of barman 2.17 on the barman server.

Could this be causing trouble?

Michael Wallace

Jan 13, 2022, 5:01:00 AM1/13/22
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
In this particular case the different version of barman-cli on the postgres server is not part of the problem because the tools added by the barman-cli package are not used in streaming archiving.

Could the problem be that WALs are being received successfully by pg_receivewal but `barman cron` is not running on the barman server, so the WALs are not being moved into `${BARMAN_HOME}/server/wals`?

Take a look in `${BARMAN_HOME}/streaming` - do you see any WALs there? If so then they should be archived into `${BARMAN_HOME}/wals` when `barman cron` runs.
If you don't see any WALs then it is possible there simply hasn't been enough activity on the postgres server to cause it to switch to a new WAL segment - try running `psql -c "select pg_switch_wal();"` on the postgres server and then check in `${BARMAN_HOME}/streaming` again to see if a new WAL has been received.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pgbarman/1870845882.30015.1642034241814%40office.mailbox.org.