how to reset system if after pg_upgrade in barman

Rajasekar Arumugam

Mar 16, 2023, 6:47:52 AM3/16/23
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Hi Team,

I have upgraded my PostgreSQL from 10 to 15 version and I am getting the error "systemid coherence: FAILED (the system Id of the connected PostgreSQL server changed, stored in "/backups/dev/identity.json")"

I understand the systemid changes after pg_upgrade and I just want to know is there any way to reset the new value in barman without re-configuring the whole setup.

Thanks in advance
Raj

Mike Wallace

Mar 16, 2023, 8:09:40 AM3/16/23
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raj,

There's no supported way to change the systemid in Barman - the best way forward is probably to create a new server configuration in Barman for the upgraded server.

Hope this helps,

Mike

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pgbarman/fe7ded98-b4f9-4877-9af7-feb640efc6c8n%40googlegroups.com.

Rajasekar Arumugam

Mar 16, 2023, 8:32:39 AM3/16/23
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Hi Mike, I have edited the file identity.json and updated the system id and it works. Will this not a good approach.

Mike Wallace

Mar 16, 2023, 9:51:41 AM3/16/23
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raj,

It is certainly_ possible_ to do this however it is not something
which is recommended in a production environment (at least, not by the
Barman maintainers [1]). The reason is because, in Barman, the full
backup history and WAL archive must relate to a single PostgreSQL
system - it should be possible for Barman to recover any known backup
and replay any WALs in the archive onto that PostgreSQL system.
Changing the system identifier breaks this requirement which may lead
to undefined behaviour. Also, updating the system ID and continuing to
take backups with the same server definition in Barman is not
something which is extensively tested across PostgreSQL and Barman
versions.

Best regards,

Mike

[1]: https://docs.pgbarman.org/release/3.4.0/#setup-of-a-new-server-in-barman

On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 12:32 PM 'Rajasekar Arumugam' via Barman,
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pgbarman/eaa78fed-2313-4a7e-abc5-fe76a5a8aae2n%40googlegroups.com.

Rajasekar Arumugam

Mar 16, 2023, 11:34:27 AM3/16/23
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Thanks a lot Mike, will setup as new server config then.