Barman upgrade

Guillermo E. Villanueva

Nov 30, 2023, 8:44:05 AM11/30/23
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Hi, I have installed barman 2.18 on ubuntu 22.04, I already have a postgres 13 configured and doing backup. I want to upgrade to the latest version of barman, can you tell me the procedure please?
Thank you in advance.

Martin Marques

Dec 3, 2023, 1:19:30 PM12/3/23
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
Hola Guillermo,

Given that you are upgrading from 2.x to 3.x, I suggest testing a 3.9
backup system with a working configuration.

Once you have that working as expected, do the following:

- disable `barman cron`
- upgrade `barman` from 2.18 to 2.9 (apt upgrade barman)
- make any modifications to the barman configuration based on the
tests you ran earlier
- You may need to stop and restart the pg_receivewal process. This is
documented in the website's doc, in the barman man page, and in the
output from `barman receive-wal --help`
- run `barman cron` manually and verify that WALs are being archived
to the right place and retention policies are being applied as
expected
- test backups by running a `barman backup`

After each step run `barman check` to make sure that things are
working as expected. Also, test, test, and test before moving anything
to production.

Saludos, Martín