install barman-cli from source

dulh...@mailbox.org

Dec 20, 2021, 5:52:33 AM12/20/21
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
I want to try using barman for PostgreSQL backups. The postgres servers are on rhel7/8 hosts where I do not have root access.

  1. As far as my understanding goes the barman-cli package is required on the PostgreSQL server. So my question is how to install barman-cli from source on the PostgreSQL machines? I have managed to install barman from source on the barman server, but can not find any instructions for manual install of the the barman-cli package.
  2. do I need a barman unix-user on the PostgreSQL server also?

dulh...@mailbox.org

Dec 20, 2021, 6:33:48 AM12/20/21
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
3. is it required to have the same version of barman (on the barman server) & barman-cli (on the PostgreSQL server)?

Luca Ferrari

Dec 20, 2021, 7:55:25 AM12/20/21
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL

<https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/barman/blob/75320f64412f20f687fdd6212b9b2b57a7cdeb59/doc/manual/55-barman-cli.en.md>

> do I need a barman unix-user on the PostgreSQL server also?

No, at least, not in the database. You need however an user to connect
to PostgreSQL and issue queries, and an operating system user to
connect via ssh (if using rsync).
You can use already existing users, but I would recommend creating an
user wth the appropriate privileges, like:

CREATE ROLE backup WITH REPLICATION LOGIN PASSWORD 'xxxx';

GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION pg_start_backup(text, boolean, boolean) to backup;
GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION pg_stop_backup() to backup;
GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION pg_stop_backup(boolean, boolean) to backup;
GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION pg_switch_wal() to backup;
GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION pg_create_restore_point(text) to backup;
GRANT pg_read_all_settings TO backup;
GRANT pg_read_all_stats TO backup;

Luca