If WAL Streaming allows for WAL Archiving, why do I want fallback WAL Archiving?

Anthony Orona

Apr 27, 2022, 2:56:21 PMApr 27
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
https://docs.pgbarman.org/release/2.19/#streaming-backup-vs-rsyncssh

Barman implements WAL Streaming using pg_receivewal.

"pg_receivewal is used to stream the write-ahead log from a running PostgreSQL cluster. The write-ahead log is streamed using the streaming replication protocol, and is written to a local directory of files. This directory can be used as the archive location for doing a restore using point-in-time recovery "

What is the benefit of fallback WAL archiving if I can accomplish WAL archiving with WAL streaming?

Michael Wallace

May 3, 2022, 5:18:09 AMMay 3
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony,

Running WAL archiving as a fallback was originally recommended prior to PostgreSQL 9.4 however with the introduction of replication slots in 9.4 it is no longer a hard recommendation. There are still scenarios where fallback WAL archiving may be desirable though it would depend on deployment-specific factors such as available network bandwidth and the likelihood/impact of WAL streaming failures.

The recommendation in the docs should be updated as 9.4 was a long time ago - I've filed an issue for general improvements around WAL archiving/streaming documentation and noted it there.

Hope this helps,

Mike

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pgbarman/092a9bc1-d63f-4963-b05a-3466839bf132n%40googlegroups.com.

Anthony Orona

May 4, 2022, 12:22:31 PMMay 4
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Hi Michael, very helpful, thanks