Missing wal file after recovery from latest backup

Marco Pgsql

Dec 6, 2023, 8:29:49 AM12/6/23
to Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL
Hello,

this is my problem.

When trying to restore latest backup i can't start postgres due to missing wal file under "barman_wal folder.

Then in postgres log i get:
"requested recovery stop point is before consistent recovery point"

I dont get the error when i restore a previous backup.

Postgres 11, Barman 3.9.0

This is the barman server configuration file options:

backup_method = postgres
backup_compression = gzip
immediate_checkpoint = true

archiver = true
compression = gzip
recovery_staging_path = /barman-recovery-temp

streaming_archiver = on
streaming_conninfo = host=pg.lan user=barman dbname=postgres
create_slot = auto
slot_name = barman

Thanks for any reply

Luca Ferrari

Dec 6, 2023, 9:54:37 AM12/6/23
to pgba...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 6, 2023 at 2:29 PM 'Marco Pgsql' via Barman, Backup and
Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL <pgba...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> When trying to restore latest backup i can't start postgres due to missing wal file under "barman_wal folder.

I'm not sure what the question is, but in short if you are missing
even a single wal you cannot restore that backup.

> I dont get the error when i restore a previous backup.

That's because that previous backup has all the WALs and you are not
asking to go any further in the timeline.

I suggest you to take a new backup in order to be able to recover at least.

The reason why barman has lost a wal (how did you know?) is not clear
to me, since you have also streaminng and slots. However you are
running a PostgreSQL version that is EOL.

Luca