Is CitusDB free?

FattahRozzaq

Sep 7, 2015, 8:11:41 AM9/7/15
to pg_shard users
Hi all,

I have installed CitusDB on 3 Debian servers by following to this guide document: http://info.citusdata.com/rs/235-CNE-301/images/CitusDB_4_1_Operations_Manual.pdf

I have run and test the shard using CitusDB.

But I don't pay/purchase anything to Citus Data. And it doesn't prompt me anything to pay.

Is CitusDB free?
Did I install the CitusDB in trial period?

What limitation that I have if I don't pay/purchase to CitusDB?

How far I could use CitusDB?

Big thanks,
FattahRozzaq

Onder Kalaci

Sep 9, 2015, 8:09:45 AM9/9/15
to pg_shard users
Hi,

You can download and use CitusDB for development and trial purposes. If you want to use it in production, you need to purchase a commercial license as discussed in the Licence Agreement.

Thanks,
Onder

Imre Samu

Sep 15, 2015, 6:31:21 PM9/15/15
to pg_shard users
Hi Onder,

This information ( =  free up to six nodes )  and the 451 research papers is not true anymore?
   or We need request a commercial license for a "free tier" ?

   "CitusDB itself is not open source, but is free up to six nodes, after which it is licensed per node with additional paid-for support services. "  (Analyst: Matt Aslett  :  9 Mar, 2015 )
   http://info.citusdata.com/rs/citusdata/images/Citus_Data_prepares_CitusDB_4.0,_now_a_massively_parallel_PostgreS.pdf
   [ it is linked on:  "Read the 451 Research Report on CitusDB 4.0"  on page :  https://www.citusdata.com/citus-products/citusdb-software ]

   other research paper:( 1 Jul, 2015 , Analyst: Jason Stamper )
   "Citus offers phone or email support to companies that license CitusDB; it can also offer phone or email support for production deployments of cstore_fdw and pg_shard,
    although it concedes that these types of support agreements are relatively few and far between.
    While CitusDB is not open source, it is free up to six nodes, after which it is licensed per node with additional paid-for support services"

   I am interested in because I would like to evaluate CitusDB  for  non-profit / humanitarian  OpenStreetMap QA analyis.  ( like: http://hotosm.org/  ; OpenData   )

Thanks in advance,
   Imre
   ( Hungarian OpenStreetMap community member )

Onder Kalaci

Sep 17, 2015, 11:17:41 AM9/17/15
to pg_shard users
Hi Imre,

We've removed the 6-node limit for development purposes. You can install and use CItusDB for free for non-production purposes. If you want to use CitusDB in production, you need to contact us and get a commercial license
as indicated in our license agreement.

Thanks,
Onder

Imre Samu

Sep 17, 2015, 11:49:57 AM9/17/15
to Onder Kalaci, pg_shard users
Hi Onder,

Thank you for your answer,

Imre

Dorian Hoxha

Nov 29, 2015, 5:37:06 AM11/29/15
to pg_shard users
Looks like Citusdb IS going opensource on their 5.0 release which should be on Q1 2016:
source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nun2S6EdWo&list=PLixnExCn6lRpP10ZlpJwx6AuU3XIgNWpL&index=4