Shard based on schema

Kesav Kumar Kolla

Apr 5, 2016, 6:01:30 PM4/5/16
to pg_shard users
I've a multitenant database where each tenant is grouped under a schema.  I want to have horizontal scalability wherein by schemas are distributed across various servers.  The pg_shard is currently sharding table on a column based.  Is it possible to shard based on schema?

Thanks
-Kesav

Murat Tuncer

Apr 6, 2016, 3:11:23 AM4/6/16
to pg_shard users
Hello Kesav

pg_shard is intended to distributed a single table based on its column.  If having a separate schema for each tenant is not a hard requirement, it could be possible to do sharding based on tenant_id where each table has a column tenant_id.

Please let us know if this can address your needs, or you need additional information on that.

Please also be aware that pg_shard has now reached end of life status.  You could use Citus (https://github.com/citusdata/citus) which has all features of pg_shard and much more.

Best
Murat
This conversation is locked