porting pForth to esp8266

hoksmur

Jan 19, 2015, 11:40:28 PM1/19/15
to pfor...@googlegroups.com
 Hello, All.

At the end of august 204 was produced (or just started selling) esp8266 SoC  http://espressif.com/en/products/esp8266/
This one is WiFi module and Xtensa CPU. Native firmware works with AT-comads. But, if we have CPU, why can not we use it for our task? And people wrote firmware with Lua https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware . One bad thing - Lua spend memory fast. Forth is compact, fast and scriptable language.

 My question for here people is: how difficult port pForth to ESP8266 chip? I worked with Forth ~2002 a little bit. It was PM-Forth.
I do not be able port pForth self: I don't know enough about forth to do it. I'm ready to help (if I can). About resources: MCu has more 20 kb memory, 80MHz CPU, but most program loaded from external SPI flash.

 PS:Sorry my english.

 b.r, Oleg

hoksmur

Jan 19, 2015, 11:46:07 PM1/19/15
to pfor...@googlegroups.com
  Add:
 SDK is open, exlude C-lib procedures work with WiFi, and, (not sure) encryption -description.
http://bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67